1. 90% of your issues will be resolved by making sure that you running the latest Raspbian, RetroPie and Attract-Mode. Please update these aspects of your Pi before asking questions.
Upgrading Raspbian. (Raspbian wiki - https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/updating.md
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade
Upgrading RetroPie. (RetroPie wiki - https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Updating-RetroPie
sudo bash ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh
Choose option "U Update all installed packages"
Upgrading all aspects of Attract-Mode. (Attract-Mode wiki - https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-(Raspbian-Jessie)
sudo apt-get install cmake libflac-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libopenal-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev libfreetype6-dev libudev-dev libfontconfig1-dev
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/mickelson/sfml-pi sfml-pi
mkdir sfml-pi/build;cd sfml-pi/build
cmake .. -DSFML_RPI=1 -DEGL_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/vc/include -DEGL_LIBRARY=/opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so -DGLES_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/vc/include -DGLES_LIBRARY=/opt/vc/lib/libGLESv1_CM.so
sudo make install
git clone --depth 1 git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
./configure --enable-mmal --disable-debug --enable-shared
sudo make install
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/mickelson/attract attract
sudo make install
rm -r -f ./develop
2. If you started with anything other than the latest RetroPie image directly from the RetroPie website, ask the creator of the image for solutions to your problems. They will be better suited to answer them since Attract-Mode can be built and configured many different ways.
3. Videos don't play, stutter, turn grey, etc.. Enable hardware video decoding or use lower resolution videos.
To enable hardware video decoding: Configure-->General-->Video Decoder = mmal (if you can't select "mmal" run the steps for Attract-Mode upgrade in F.A.Q. #1)
4. I have random weird things happen when I exit a game or use a RetroPie configuration menu. This is an old known bug, run the steps for Attract-Mode upgrade in F.A.Q. #1 to fix it.
5. Some emulators like Daphne and Advance MAME run behind AM (a.k.a. in the background), my RetroPie runcommand dialog doesn't show in AM, or my RetroPie Setup Menu doesn't work properly in AM. Configure-->General-->Window Mode = FullScreen Mode
6. How can I access the /home/pi/.attract/ folder from Windows without using 3rd party software? You can use the RetroPie GUI that is described here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=821.msg8138#msg8138
You can do it from the command line like this:
sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add these lines to the end of the file
comment = attractmode
path = "/home/pi/.attract"
writeable = yes
guest ok = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
force user = pi
restart the samba service
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
7. How can I easily create custom wheels across mutiple emulators using the AM GUI? See this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1165.msg8455#msg8455
8. I have a lot of roms, how can I skip a page or a letter at a time?
Set these controls:
9. How can I add menus to switch booting from Attract-Mode to EmulationStation and vice versa? How can I run RetroPie Setup options from Attract-Mode? This post has a script to setup it up http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1311.msg9542#msg9542
If you want to manually create a menu for the RetroPie Setup options in Attract-Mode see this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=869.msg6679#msg6679
. (Make sure you set Configure-->General-->Window Mode = FullScreen Mode)
10. In MAME emulators I see the romnames and not the friendly/nice looking game names. See this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=948.msg7149#msg7149
. (There is probably a better post if someone can point it out.)
11. I misconfigured my controls and now I can't make changes to correct them.
Reset your inputs to the default input mapping.
Replace the entire "input_map" section with the defaults listed below
prev_letter Joy0 Up+Joy0 Button0
next_letter Joy0 Down+Joy0 Button0
filters_menu Joy0 Left+Joy0 Button0
next_filter Joy0 Right+Joy0 Button0
configure Joy0 Up+Joy0 Button1
edit_game Joy0 Down+Joy0 Button1
add_favourite Joy0 Button0+Joy0 Button1
back Joy0 Button1
up Joy0 Up
down Joy0 Down
left Joy0 Left
right Joy0 Right
select Joy0 Button0
default back exit
default up prev_game
default down next_game
default left prev_display
default right next_display
12. How can I get rid of the terminal/console text I see when I launch a game or exit a game? Check out this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1642.0
13. How can I have Attract-Mode default to my "Favorites" romlist instead of the "All" romlist? See this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1613.0