Author Topic: [CONCEPT] Project Switch  (Read 9760 times)

Spinelli

• View Profile
[CONCEPT] Project Switch
« on: January 19, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
With the sneak peaks of Nintendo Switch I imagined a theme inspired by the brand new UI of the new Nintendo Console.
Still a concept (working on it), but I want to see if you guys like, and make some suggestions.

ps: PtiWee and Millercentral are working on UltraDash, it's not on my hands now. And, if you guy's are interested on this new theme I'll need some codder again to make it real!  ;)

LIGHT THEME

Home

- With Video Snap Background ON

Favorites

Coming Soon...

Info

Coming Soon...

Grid View

Coming Soon...

Search

DARK THEME

Home

- With Video Snap Background ON

Favorites

Coming Soon...

Info

Coming Soon...

Grid View

Coming Soon...

Search

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:14:45 PM by Spinelli »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: [CONCEPT] Project Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:15:33 AM »
Well... I'm not too sold on original nintendo UI design. It looks "unfinished" at best. Maybe they are hiding some stuff on purpose? I dunno, but it's not even "minimal" it looks "empty" to me. Don't get me wrong - I can appreciate a good use of white space, but this simply looks like designed for really small screen and blown up on big TV.

Keep in mind that those my thoughts about the ORIGINAL design - not your effort :D
I know yours is just a starting point - but I think you should steer away from recreating the original UI and take it to another level. Maybe simply adding a fanart or video background would change it drastically (for better) or maybe adding a big bold typography is a way to go?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:00 AM »
Combine wii channels with icons from this theme?

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
Is there any videos yet that show the Switch UI in action?? I thought the same thing when I saw it, just for the basic selection screen. I like the idea of the icons at the bottom for home, favorites, lists, etc.. showing you what screen you are on.

I would like to see some designs based on various console UIs :) It would be rather cool to have .. say PS2 or PSP use an XMB style layout or Wii have a Wii channels layout. Some of them could be a little more complex to implement in AM right now.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
Is there any videos yet that show the Switch UI in action??

not really - there is a 3sec (yes, only 3 seconds!) video - HERE http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14261794/nintendo-switch-ui-user-interface

Spinelli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
a dark version of the UI leaked too.

Spinelli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »
Well... I'm not too sold on original nintendo UI design. It looks "unfinished" at best. Maybe they are hiding some stuff on purpose? I dunno, but it's not even "minimal" it looks "empty" to me. Don't get me wrong - I can appreciate a good use of white space, but this simply looks like designed for really small screen and blown up on big TV.

Keep in mind that those my thoughts about the ORIGINAL design - not your effort :D
I know yours is just a starting point - but I think you should steer away from recreating the original UI and take it to another level. Maybe simply adding a fanart or video background would change it drastically (for better) or maybe adding a big bold typography is a way to go?

I tried to be faithful to the original interface, with some minor adjustments, and I understand when you say that you think it's a little empty (mainly the top), I also found too. However, I've imagined the option to pass the videos snaps at the background, becoming more interesting.
Other options, such as grid view, search, info, and Favorites screen, are also being created, without relying on the interface of the Switch, just using the same idea, but having in mind to stay functional for what a frontend intends to be.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »
Sounds cool!

Spinelli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
I've updated the topic with some new screens and some adjustments.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:40:36 PM by Spinelli »

Spinelli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
Is anyone interested in this project?

I think it's a good theme for a hybrid, tablet or handheld.
Something like GPD-Win, where you can see on a small screen or on your tv while connecting.
In the perfect scenario, being able to have Touch features as soon as the Attract Mode Allow.

If any talented developer has time and interest, I can finish the layout and move on.