Author Topic: Create a master romlist to enable multi-emulator searching, filtering & tagging  (Read 34089 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. Create a master romlist of all your games. (This will take a while to build if you have many systems and/or roms.)
    Configure-->Emulators-->Generate Collection/Rom List-->Set all of your game emulators to “Yes” and then click “Generate Collection/Rom List” and enter the name “All Systems”
2. Setup Search, Filter, Favorites and Tagging (if you haven’t already)
    Configure-->Plug-ins-->KeyboardSearch-->Enable=Yes
    Configure-->Plug-ins-->KeyboardSearch-->Trigger=Custom1
    Configure-->Controls-->Custom1=S
    Configure-->Controls-->Filter Menu=F
    Configure-->Controls-->Add/Remove Favourite=A
    Configure-->Controls-->Add/Remove Tags=T
3. Go to your newly created “All Systems” Display/Wheel and check it out

Once you create a master romlist that contains all of your games there are many ways you can use it. Here are just a few examples.

1. Press the “S” key to open the Search Plug-in and enter “Mario” then press the “Enter” key. This will show you all of your Mario games.
    To remove the search press the “S” key and delete “Mario” and press the “Enter” key
2. Create a filter for Mario games
    Configure-->Displays-->All Systems-->Add Filter-->Enter Filter Name=Mario Games-->Add Rule
    Target=Title
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Mario
3. Create a filter for a Shooting Games genre
    Configure-->Displays-->All Systems-->Add Filter-->Enter Filter Name=Shooting Games-->Add Rule
    Target=Category
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Shooter
4. Create a custom Display/Wheel for Mario Games
    Configure-->Displays-->Add New Display-->Enter Display Name=Mario Games
    Collection/Rom List=All Systems
    Global Filter-->Add Rule-->
    Target=Title
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Mario
    (optionally you can hide the “All Systems” Display from “Show in Cycle” and/or “Show in Menu” after your done)
5. Create a tag group for Mario Games
    Press the “T” key-->Create new tag-->Enter new tag name=Mario Games
    Press the “S” key-->Search for:=Mario
    Go to a game you want to add and press the “T” key-->Add tag:’Mario Games’
    <repeat the step above until you have all the games you want to tag>
    Press the “S” key and delete “Mario” and press the “Enter” key
    Configure-->Displays-->All Systems-->Add Filter-->Enter Filter Name=Mario Games-->Add Rule
    Target=Tags
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Mario
6. Create Favorites
    Go to a game you want to add and press the “A” key-->Add ‘<game name>‘ to Favourites?=Yes
    <repeat the step above until you have all the games you want to have in Favoritres>
7. Create a 80’s game filter
    Configure-->Displays-->All Systems-->Add Filter-->Enter Filter Name=80’s Games-->Add Rule
    Target=Year
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=198

Tip: The "All Systems" Display looks and works best when you use the same or simular "Layout" for all of your Emulator Displays.

If you found this interesting or helpful please let us know how you like to use your master romlist.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:10:08 PM by progets »

Sam1Cohen

• View Profile
6. Create Favorites
    Go to a game you want to add and press the “A” key-->Add ‘<game name>‘ to Favourites?=Yes
    <repeat the step above until you have all the games you want to have in Favoritres>

Once I do this how do I get just those to show up in a menu somewhere?>  I want one favorites screen with the favorites from all the emulators.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You can press the "F" key and choose "Favorites" from the filter list.

You could also create a new display for "Favorites" as I describe in #4 and make your Global filter only show favorites.

Sam1Cohen

• View Profile
I did this and I am not getting any roms showing in my new display
here is the screen shot of what I did.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For this to work you must mark your favorite games from the newly created All System display and not from the individual system displays.

Then you can add this rule to your new "All Favorites" display:
Configure-->Displays-->All Favorites-->Global Filter-->Add Rule-->
Target=Favourite
Comparison=equals
Filter Value=1
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:29:58 PM by progets »

Sam1Cohen

• View Profile
Thank you, that was the part I was missing.

Sam1Cohen

• View Profile
For this to work you must mark your favorite games from the newly created All System display and not from the individual system displays.

Then you can add this rule to your new "All Favorites" display:
Configure-->Displays-->All Favorites-->Global Filter-->Add Rule-->
Target=Favourite
Comparison=equals
Filter Value=1

THANK YOU!!!!
This is what I was missing, I have the full list now in a separate favorites list, I just have one last question, how do I get a snap (I want to use hte MAME snap) to show for the favorites?  Right now it just shows static, what file do I need to get from where and where do I put it?  I have looked all through my file system and I just can't figure that out.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Each game will use the artwork defined in each emulator. If you want a video for the display menu to show you need to put it in ./attract/menu-art/snap/. It needs to be named to match your display name, "All Favorites.xxx" in your case.

Sam1Cohen

• View Profile
Thank you, that did it.  I copied the MAME one and renamed it to my favorites and it works like a charm!

Christian6809

• View Profile
Thank you for the walk through on how to setup favorites in Attract Mode! It seems like this answer isn't anywhere.

One other question though, is there a limit in the file size or games on the all games list that I am generating? I made a rather large ROM list with a lot of games and it showed up blank in AM . I tried it with just a small amount of games, and the list showed just fine. Any idea?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thank you for the walk through on how to setup favorites in Attract Mode! It seems like this answer isn't anywhere.

One other question though, is there a limit in the file size or games on the all games list that I am generating? I made a rather large ROM list with a lot of games and it showed up blank in AM . I tried it with just a small amount of games, and the list showed just fine. Any idea?

I have never come across any limit and have never heard anyone else that has either.

I'm not certain I understand your question. Are you talking about the "All Systems" list or the "Favorites" list you created that showed up blank?

Post the display configuration screen that you are using that showed up blank.

Christian6809

• View Profile
Sorry about the post. I tried the exact same thing again and it worked. Go Figure

Mattyduk

• View Profile
Hi.

So I was able to create an all Systems rom list and display in attract mode. I can then filter on favourites. Works great
However on the main display wheel, it displays a big question mark on the "all systems" display I.e the main selection wheel for the emus. The others corrctly display a graphic that show FBA, N64 etc

How do I change the ? To something more meaningful e.g a favourites graphic ?

Thanks

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi.

So I was able to create an all Systems rom list and display in attract mode. I can then filter on favourites. Works great
However on the main display wheel, it displays a big question mark on the "all systems" display I.e the main selection wheel for the emus. The others corrctly display a graphic that show FBA, N64 etc

How do I change the ? To something more meaningful e.g a favourites graphic ?

Thanks

Place an image that matches the Display Name in the appropriate folder.

For example
Code: [Select]
/home/pi/.attract/menu-art/wheel/All Systems.png
or
Code: [Select]
/home/pi/.attract/menu-art/wheel/Favorites.png

Mattyduk

• View Profile
Thanks. I'll give it a go tomorrow