Poll

Shall I go with this new look? Screenshot on Page 11

Yes
No

Author Topic: Ambience HD theme v0.8 beta [Released]  (Read 94801 times)

viss

• View Profile
Re: Ambience HD theme [WIP]
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
So stylish, very nice work !

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 07:10:07 PM »
any updates ?  thanks Oomek ;)
help a friend....

gionni44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 05:49:48 AM »
Is there a way to fade out your carreir after a few seconds?

beakerman80

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
This looks killer sweet!

Deflektor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
I'm gonna leave this browser tab open until this cool looking theme is released!  8)

Oomek

• Administrator
  • Radek Dutkiewicz
    • View Profile
    • github.com/oomek
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
I’m not able to release the layuot until Andrew accepts my recent 3 pull requests on Github. I’ve added blending modes, font letter spacing parameter and automatic generation of mipmaps to Attract Mode. My layout wont work without it. I know I could release it with my own binary, but I would really like to avoid that.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
thanks for the update.. it's good to know.

ill have to shoot him a "bump"  and a please. :D

and hope for the best...i know its been a while since you did the font fix..
witch im assuming he could of fit in the last update, but did not...

peace....
help a friend....

Deflektor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »
Will this theme work on a Raspberry Pi 3? I think I've tried two themes based on carrier.nut and neither worked, just showing white boxes. It might allocate too many objects for the Pi or something?

Oomek

• Administrator
  • Radek Dutkiewicz
    • View Profile
    • github.com/oomek
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
Honestly I have no idea. I’ve never used RPI.

Oomek

• Administrator
  • Radek Dutkiewicz
    • View Profile
    • github.com/oomek
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
Does it show any errors in the log?

Deflektor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
Nothing in the log, but stdout shows some GL errors like "Impossible to create render texture (failed to link the target texture to the frame buffer)". Someone mentioned a similar problem in this thread:

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1878.0

I tried increasing the GPU memory from 256 to 512 (the Pi 3 has 1 gig of RAM to split between CPU/GPU), but that didn't help. I guess the Pi just isn't strong enough for the fancier themes.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
Nothing in the log, but stdout shows some GL errors like "Impossible to create render texture (failed to link the target texture to the frame buffer)". Someone mentioned a similar problem in this thread:

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1878.0

I tried increasing the GPU memory from 256 to 512 (the Pi 3 has 1 gig of RAM to split between CPU/GPU), but that didn't help. I guess the Pi just isn't strong enough for the fancier themes.

The Pi 3 can use layouts/themes that use the carrier.nut. Oomek's Silky layout is an example that works well on the Pi. The white boxes you describe do sound like they can be a memory issue or missing/misconfigured artwork (some layouts use different folder names for the artwork assets).

If you are running RetroPie make certain that you're booting to a command line or directly to Attract-Mode. Booting to Emulation Station or Pixel Desktop first and then running Attract-Mode will consume more GPU memory and possibly cause issues. 256MB - 384MB is good setting for your Pi GPU.

Some layouts/themes are created by people using Windows which is NOT case sensitive. These layouts can have problems when they are run on Linux (which is case sensitive) if the author hasn't taken this into account.

I haven't really come across any layouts that won't work on the Pi and I've tried just about everything over the years. They all work but some are so GPU and/or CPU heavy that they will run very slow (to the point you wouldn't want to use them). Make sure that you look at the layout settings if a layout runs slow or doesn't look right. Most layouts have features that can be adjusted/disabled which can speed things up or correct artwork folder issues.

Last thoughts, make sure you're using hardware video decoding (mmal) and not software decoding. Also make sure that your videos aren't too high resolution.

Deflektor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 11:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'm using mmal and booting directly to AM. You're right though, Silky does work fine for me too, so maybe it's an artwork/font path issue with the other carrier.nut ones I tried.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 11:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'm using mmal and booting directly to AM. You're right though, Silky does work fine for me too, so maybe it's an artwork/font path issue with the other carrier.nut ones I tried.

I don't know if you realize that the "carrier.nut" does the same thing as other "conveyor.nut" files (though some are written better than others). These are really just names the coders chose. Many layouts move artwork around with these type of .nut files such as Robospin, Cosmo, uni_cade, etc. (all which work well on the Pi when setting the layout options properly). This is another very good example for a carrier.nut/conveyour.nut that works well on the Pi when properly configured http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1945.0

I don't want to hijack this thread so start a new thread or PM me if you want to further discus Pi issues.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:02:35 AM by progets »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 12:21:59 AM »
I’m not able to release the layuot until Andrew accepts my recent 3 pull requests on Github. I’ve added blending modes, font letter spacing parameter and automatic generation of mipmaps to Attract Mode. My layout wont work without it. I know I could release it with my own binary, but I would really like to avoid that.

These PRs look really great! Thanks for helping to push AM forward and making our builds more robust with options.