Author Topic: The 'PCCA' project - a Hyperspin layout for Attract-Mode [Ready!] + Gift!!  (Read 21194 times)

Yaron2019

Hi All,
Per the request of the original developer of this project - the user known in this forum as PCCA-MATRIX, I present the Attract Mode community with the 'PCCA' project, a Hyperspin layout for Attract Mode, which enables the frontend to use original Hyperspin themes as-is.

Since it basically runs authentic Hyperspin themes, the PCCA layout works a little different from other Attract Mode layouts.
When used, it will look for themes in a directory structure similar to that used by Hyperspin. This is easy to set up.

Demo:
https://youtu.be/TtoKfDMz860

Tutorial:
1. Download the latest PCCA layout:
https://mega.nz/file/MIU1ja6Y#cpzgIKK0AO1-ZESw4bDZ9I4fe_FcQiEVfhr_n1fBLis

Optional: download video transitions pack I have prepared:
https://mega.nz/file/RBdUWTzb#e7D5HmsqTMW32Z0vKg-rfGjnC5yY-rFpETDlqSDIu_w

Project github page:
https://github.com/pcca-matrix/PCCA-Layout
(this page also includes detailed instruction on the options pcca provides).

2. Unzip and from the 'modules' folder copy the 'hs-animate' folder to your attract/modules/ folder.
From the 'layouts' folder, copy the 'pcca' folder to your attract/layouts/ folder.

3. Within your attract/layouts/pcca/ folder, create a new folder called 'media' (for example) - this is where you will store all your Hyperspin themes.
If you want, you can place this folder outside of the 'pcca' main folder, but for the purpose of this tutorial it will be within it.

4. To make things easy, I highly recommend downloading the official Hyperspin install so we can use it's default media library as a basis for our own themes folder:
https://hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/17585-hyperspin-151-full-package/
Unzip it and copy the 'Media' folder CONTENTS to our own 'media' folder that we created within 'pcca'.
When done, you can delete the Hyperspin install folder and zip file as we have no more use for it!

If you take a look at these default themes you will see two types of folders: 'Main Menu' and folders named after systems (like 'MAME' or 'Sega CD' for example).
Within the 'Main Menu' folder you will place all the Hyperspin themes that you want 'pcca' to use for the main menu.
Each system folder will house the Hyperspin themes relevant to that system.
In both cases, the Hyperspin themes must have the same name as the System Display names in Attract Mode.

5. Launch Attract Mode and go to Attract Mode's general options screen (called "configure") by pressing the 'Tab' button:
In Configure->Startup Mode set to 'Show Display Menu' and in Displays->Display Menu Options->'Allow Exit from 'Display Menu' set to 'No'.
THIS IS MANDATORY and pcca will not work properly without this step.

6. Go to Attract Mode Configure->Displays->'Display Menu' Options->Menu Style / Layout and set it to 'pcca'.
This tells attract mode to use pcca as it's main menu theme. This is not mandatory and should be done only if you want pcca as your main menu layout as well.

7. Set each system you have in the display menu list to 'pcca' if you want this system to use Hyperspin themes. For example:
Configure->Displays->Mame->Layout and set to 'pcca'
-OR-
Configure->Displays->Nintendo Entertainment System->Layout and set to 'pcca'

8. In any of the systems that uses pcca, go to 'Layout Options' and set the 'Media Path' option to where you store
your Hyperspin themes. for example: C:\attract\layouts\pcca\media
This needs to be done ONLY ONCE. pcca will use this path as a starting point to find all the Hyperspin themes that you have.
Example: 'Configure->Displays->Mame->Layout Options->Media Path' and insert the above path to the 'media' folder.

Short Video of setting it up through the Attract Mode menus:
https://youtu.be/rH6FBcYWPSU

PCCA also knows how to work with unified video themes such as those that are available from emumovies.com. This capability comes in handy if an original hyperspin theme
doesn't work properly (there are very few of those). Just copy the unified video to the relevant system's Themes folder (for example "C:\attract\layouts\pcca\Media\Mame\Themes") making sure it has the same name as non-working theme file.

Example from my setup:

You should now be able to run and use any original Hyperspin theme on your Attract Mode setup.

We welcome all the community to use, test and provide feedback on this amazing project!

We hope you enjoy it,
PCCA-MATRIX & Yaron2019  8)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:37:53 PM by Yaron2019 »

hedergim

• View Profile
Re: PCCA Hyperspin theme conversion for Attract-Mode [Beta Release!]
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »

very good, accompanying ...

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
good stuff , nice work, and thanks for sharing.....bro....going to check this out...asap
help a friend....

pcca-matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Hi all,

as I have very little free time, I asked Yaron to take care of presenting the theme and managing the thread.

I prefer to keep the time I have to improve the script.

I hope you find it useful, I would continue to improve it and add new features over time.

if you find a bug please open an issue on github, I'm sure to see it and it's easier to manage.

Have fun  :D

clockman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »
I can't get to show the themes for every name rom. It only wants to show the default theme. How can I make this show all the name themes? The other systems are good because they use 1 default theme.

Yaron2019

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »
Place the game themes in the relevant system themes folder. If the roms have the same name as the themes it should work because I have it working here.
In my case, I have all the media on a seperate drive and in a folder called HS_Themes. In the screenshot you can see the path at the top of the window.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:39:02 AM by Yaron2019 »

clockman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
One more question, when the wheel stops on a game it fades all except for the game/theme it is on. It floats or pulsates and i was wondering if i could make that fade as well? When i use like a dreamcast theme with boxart it covers some of the boxart.

Yaron2019

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 11:02:55 AM »
One more question, when the wheel stops on a game it fades all except for the game/theme it is on. It floats or pulsates and i was wondering if i could make that fade as well? When i use like a dreamcast theme with boxart it covers some of the boxart.

I agree with you.
You can make feature requests here:
https://github.com/pcca-matrix/PCCA-Layout/issues

clockman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 12:19:36 AM »
Ok I got this running on my arcade cabinet. I also want to use this on my bartop running a raspberry pi 3. So would this theme work on the raspberry pi 3 running attractmode?

Yaron2019

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 12:31:20 AM »
Ok I got this running on my arcade cabinet. I also want to use this on my bartop running a raspberry pi 3. So would this theme work on the raspberry pi 3 running attractmode?

From what I understand pcca makes heavy use of glsl shaders which causes issues on the Pi3. A light version for the Pi3 is planned in the future.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:33:01 AM by Yaron2019 »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:15:00 AM »
Great job! This is quite awesome. There has been a hyperspin.nut loader for a while but it's a fraction of what this layout provides.

For anyone that has never seen or used HyperSpin, its per game themes/layouts and transitions are what made it great. This layout is able to use those. I would love to see the per game theme/layout feature come directly to AM but this is the next best thing in the mean time, especially if you already have an HS install or at least the artwork.

Another great feature this layout contains, that many have ask for, are the statistics on the "displays menu" that contain the number of games in each system and the play times. This does come at a cost of load time but I think it's worth it if you want these features. I'm sure other layouts will borrow this code.

This layout does still need some work, not all HS themes load properly. There isn't a keyboardless search and I can do without the PCCA splash screen. That being said, most can work around these by modifying the code as they choose.

Keep up the great work.

@Yaron2019 - If you provide a video that shows the MAME per game themes, this thing will likely get a lot more appreciation.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:28:06 AM by progets »

Yaron2019

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 02:46:07 AM »
@Yaron2019 - If you provide a video that shows the MAME per game themes, this thing will likely get a lot more appreciation.

I am waiting a little for pcca-matrix to release a new version with some basic bug fixes that are noticeable when you use this theme in it's current state. I want the video to make a good impression so it attracts more users.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:40:18 AM by Yaron2019 »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 12:30:11 AM »
I understand wanting to get the project further along before showing a video of the per game layouts/themes but the more "hype", the more people can help. I can say that this layout has the potential to be better than HyperSpin using its assets. It runs smoother on less hardware and AM's menu layering and filtering are much better than HS.

These are outside the scope of your layout project but modules or plugins that replicate the HyperSearch and/or the HyperSpin Remote would move the needle to the edge.

Yaron2019

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
...more people can help.

Very true but we need to be careful with the timing - the more people the more issues will pop up faster and pcca-matrix is only one man
I asked him today when he wants to make an official release - he wants to add the screensaver and I am testing. There is also an issue with the global count of games per system and we are close to nailing it - I think. A few more days of hammering out bugs will do good to this layout.

I can say that this layout has the potential to be better than HyperSpin using its assets. It runs smoother on less hardware and AM's menu layering and filtering are much better than HS.
These are outside the scope of your layout project but modules or plugins that replicate the HyperSearch and/or the HyperSpin Remote would move the needle to the edge.

I couldn't agree more! I am running on my system HS with the same media so I can compare things and it's slower, somehow doesn't look as good and doesn't have any options.
More the reason to test it properly before creating hype.

pcca-matrix also says that he hopes AM 2.6.2 is released soon with some optimizations if I understand correctly but I don't think we should wait for this.

We are getting very close to a good stable version - you saw for yourself the speed in which we both work together - trust us :)

When we do release - do you think it will be appropriate for you to post about it in the HS forums? (You are a long time member of that forum, no?)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »
I'm not trying to rush you guys. I'm just providing suggestions. Take them with a grain of salt.

I'll have to think about posting on the HS forum. I have been a member there for a while but my last post was two years ago and it ruffled some feathers.