Author Topic: Instant snap  (Read 3126 times)

Ryugah

• View Profile
Instant snap
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:04:40 PM »
is there a way to put a snap instantly when you scroll through the games? like advmenu? i dont want that little delay.

who knows how to do this?

thanks!!!!

rand0m

• View Profile
Re: Instant snap
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
AM already displays snaps instantly, just make sure that snaps are not too huge (resolution and size). You can also use "Transition.EndNavigation" This makes AM display snaps only when user stops scrolling (makes a noticeable difference specially in vids as AM is not trying to display art of every item).

I checked a few vids on advmenu. They are also doing something neat (which I also did in my theme) which is that vids are played on top of snaps, so while scrolling snaps are immediately displayed while vid starts on top of them after a few milliisecs this gives the impression that nohting is out of sync.

check my vid here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ9CDi08Vec (at around 10 sec, you can see the scroll speed)

Ryugah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 04:20:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/4XPKc-G9Ul8 i meant something instant like this. cant make it happen in AM and never seem the feature in a y layout too.

JonahUK

• Don't like what I say or how I answer? IDGAF.
    • View Profile
    • My Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 04:58:22 AM »
https://youtu.be/4XPKc-G9Ul8 i meant something instant like this. cant make it happen in AM and never seem the feature in a y layout too.

A lot of snaps available online have "fade-in" added to them.
You could batch remove that using ffmpeg so they would act like they do in your video or source ones without the fade-in (not sure if emumovies also have them without fade-in for paying members)

trimmed ones can be seen in this video
https://youtu.be/72XICuVxhp0
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:17:39 AM by JonahUK »

teufelskrapfen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 07:39:25 AM »
AM already displays snaps instantly, just make sure that snaps are not too huge (resolution and size). You can also use "Transition.EndNavigation" This makes AM display snaps only when user stops scrolling (makes a noticeable difference specially in vids as AM is not trying to display art of every item).

I checked a few vids on advmenu. They are also doing something neat (which I also did in my theme) which is that vids are played on top of snaps, so while scrolling snaps are immediately displayed while vid starts on top of them after a few milliisecs this gives the impression that nohting is out of sync.

check my vid here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ9CDi08Vec (at around 10 sec, you can see the scroll speed)

is there a way to tell the video player to start each video snap from, say, second 5 rather than from the beginning of the video?

I have tried solutions like ffmpeg to cut the start of the video snaps i have but ran into issues like stuttering or blank / frozen video.

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 07:56:27 AM »
All what you need to do and it is a pain, if you are using a PC, Windows 10 I am not sure about 7 anymore. You have a video editor that is built in to 10 by MicroGreed.

When I download something off YT I run it through that and drop the resolution down to 540p it still looks good even on a 4K 43 inch TV that I use for a monitor.

I think that there should be a way of downsizing videos automatically, there should be a program out there that will do it in batches.

It is a pain in the backside to have to do this at all, but as AM is such an amazing front end apart from this, then it is worth sticking to. If you are downloading from Emu Movies, then make sure that you download hi quality MP4 and not the HD versions, when I was using the HD version it was stutter all over the place.

Regards

Mark
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

teufelskrapfen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »
Yeah I was thinking about YT but thats like you said a real pain to do for each game ...

... but funny you are mentioning the HD versions from EmuVideos, I just downloaded them 5 minutes ago and I find them to be much better in my case. Its just I cant cut them either with ffmpeg without getting weird artifacts. Since its only a nice to have to get the first few seconds cut, Im not too sour about it.

JonahUK

• View Profile
    • My Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »
Yeah I was thinking about YT but thats like you said a real pain to do for each game ...

... but funny you are mentioning the HD versions from EmuVideos, I just downloaded them 5 minutes ago and I find them to be much better in my case. Its just I cant cut them either with ffmpeg without getting weird artifacts. Since its only a nice to have to get the first few seconds cut, Im not too sour about it.

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -ss 00:00:01 -vcodec libx264 output.mp4
That will cut one second (increase if you want more) from the beginning of the video and shouldn't have any artifact issues in the resulting video
ffmpeg can be batched to do a full folder of video as well as a multitude of stuff, like outputting a single frame of a video to use as a screenshot to switching DS videos from top/bottom to side/side orientation etc

That and ImageMagick can be very powerful in a batch file for batch converting media.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 11:11:54 AM by JonahUK »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
JonahUK,  thanks for that...did not know
help a friend....

JonahUK

• View Profile
    • My Channel
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »

You're welcome bud.

teufelskrapfen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 03:17:43 AM »

You're welcome bud.

Oh wow, finally a solution that works - thank you so much! :)) This works like a charm.

I put it together with the code I already had to make this a batch job for multiple files:

for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -ss 00:00:03 -vcodec libx264 "output\%%~na.mp4"
pause

JonahUK

• View Profile
    • My Channel
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 05:15:08 AM »

You're welcome bud.

Oh wow, finally a solution that works - thank you so much! :)) This works like a charm.

I put it together with the code I already had to make this a batch job for multiple files:

for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -ss 00:00:03 -vcodec libx264 "output\%%~na.mp4"
pause

Thanks, glad it worked for you.

As stated above, ffmpeg and imagemagick are excellent tools for usage in batch files.