Author Topic: Mame Ini file changes on it's own?  (Read 4678 times)

kaptainsteve

• View Profile
Mame Ini file changes on it's own?
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:12:30 AM »

Hello all,

This might be a Mame issue and not an Attract Mode issue, I'm not sure...

I have a cabinet with mame 173 and Attract Mode.  Every once in a while, the Mame ini file changes back to default on it's own?  When you go to play the next game nothing enters because the keys have been defaulted back.  Then, I got to go back to Mame and reconfig the button assignments back to my preference that work in the cabinet specifically the coin, enter and esc assignments and save it in Mame and then I'm good until the next time it happens.  I've tried making the Mame.ini a read only file but that seems not to work?

I'm not sure if it's Attract Mode rewriting the files or Mame or some mix match?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 06:29:56 AM by kaptainsteve »

chrisvg

• View Profile
Re: Mame Ini file changes on it's own?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
Sounds like you're setting the inputs in mame in the game specific settings.. this will save the changes in separate game specific ini files.  You'll want to check to make sure you're setting the inputs in the general settings, then they'll be used globally.

kaptainsteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I thought that at first too, but it's the general input settings that get changed.

After a while, you start questioning yourself "did I change the general or game specific?" then you really don't know...

Thanks.

Steve

chrisvg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
Certainly a weird thing then! Not sure what else off the top of my head...

rascaluk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »
I had the same problem last week except it pretty much happened every time. It was the defeault.cfg file though rather than mame.imi so all my controls were resetting them. I opened another window on my second monitor and watched when I exited Mame the.cfg go to a 0k file.

It was driving me nuts. In the end I bit the bullet and reinstalled Mame into a different folder and copied my AM stuff over and haven't had the problem since. I thought it might be something to do with the fact i was installing a default mame then overwriting the .exe with a nonag patched one. I thought it might be a bit wonky.

Touch wood it's not happened since but my Mame was doing it with or without being called by AM

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
You have to tell mame to NOT write the ini file..just read it. Also to create an ini file type
Code: [Select]
mame -cc
remember you can create an ini for any game (ex.puckman.ini or dkong.ini)..any system (ex. cps.ini or neo-geo.ini) or monitor type (raster.ini or vector.ini) That way you can customize your settings to the way you want..or need to.

Same goes for cfg files.
People want life easy..then complain about it