Author Topic: OSX Catalina - Attract mode does not Not Work - HELP!!!!!  (Read 10775 times)

OSXAM

• View Profile
Re: OSX Catalina - Attract mode does not Not Work - HELP!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
Another Update - Tested Mame and retroarch configurations they seem to be working fine but for those reliant on 360controller for their joysticks - it no longer works onCatalina and the developers do not intend to fix it from what I could see on their forum.

as this issue affects me I will have to get a new joystick - Catalina now supports bluetooth Xbox one controllers, which I like so I will get one tomorrow and then update the forum on how I got on with that, just incase someone out there is keen to know.

OSXAM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »
Xbox one controller working in Catalina.
As promised I purchased and tested one of these and it seems to be working fine.
I haven’t had a chance to do much more testing but I will over the next few days and then I will post any issues on the forum or and I hope this will be the case, state I found no issues.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 07:07:50 AM »
Thank you for all the updates, I think now it's clear what to do to make Attract Mode work in Catalina. I think I'll try the upgrade maybe next weekend, as soon as I do it I'll let you know how it went and what I did. I'm still thinking wether I should upgrade or not though: I still have Picasa on my Mac which is the only application I'm going to lose, I don't know if there's a good alternative...

OSXAM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
Final update on Catalina
Well it’s been a few days and I have had time to test my whole setup and everything is working fine. I’m sure as others try this they may have some issues but it will work and hopefully my posts will get you there without as much stress.

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 05:49:08 AM »
Interestingly, according to the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language, catalina is synonymous with shit.   :-[
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:50:46 AM by iOtero »
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

carbonide

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
So, I'm not sure if my problems are Catalina related, but since I'm using Catalina for setting up attractmode for the first time, I'm posting it here.

I did everything as indicated in the previous posts and attractmode launches just fine and I could configure MAME. I'm seeing all the ROMs and Snapshots I'm using so all the paths must be set up correctly, but when I start a game, attract-mode's window goes black for a few seconds and then I'm back at game selection. There's is no attempt at lauching MAME. I'm abel to launch MAME manually and everything works fine.

What am I missing here?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
So, I'm not sure if my problems are Catalina related, but since I'm using Catalina for setting up attractmode for the first time, I'm posting it here.

I did everything as indicated in the previous posts and attractmode launches just fine and I could configure MAME. I'm seeing all the ROMs and Snapshots I'm using so all the paths must be set up correctly, but when I start a game, attract-mode's window goes black for a few seconds and then I'm back at game selection. There's is no attempt at lauching MAME. I'm abel to launch MAME manually and everything works fine.

What am I missing here?

Post your mame emulator config.

carbonide

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 11:33:35 AM »
Here it is.

carbonide

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
Ok, I fully specified the paths now and the MAME app launches now, but after displaying MAME's window for a second or two, I'm automatically switched back to attract-mode. So I click in MAME's window to bring it back to the front, but now any keypress is ignored and I get the "beachball-of-death", i.e. MAME hangs.

I'm able to switch back to attract-mode and chose another game, the old MAME is stopped then and another instance is started, but with the same symptoms.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »
Ok, I fully specified the paths now and the MAME app launches now, but after displaying MAME's window for a second or two, I'm automatically switched back to attract-mode. So I click in MAME's window to bring it back to the front, but now any keypress is ignored and I get the "beachball-of-death", i.e. MAME hangs.

I'm able to switch back to attract-mode and chose another game, the old MAME is stopped then and another instance is started, but with the same symptoms.

nb_mode_wait 1

carbonide

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 01:23:07 PM »
Works perfectly now.

Thanks a lot for your help.

RetroMacGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 06:25:47 AM »
Has anyone been able to grant Attract Mode on macOS Catalina Removable Volumes access?

When launching Attact Mode executable via Terminal, macOS prompts to give terminal access to Removable Volumes and I can then see the roms from the external drive.

When launching the Attract Mode App, there is no prompt to grant access to Removable Volumes.

I have allowed Attract Mode.app and .attract folder Full Disk Access but this does not seem to give Attract Mode access to my roms on external drive.

Any Ideas anyone?

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:29:40 AM by RetroMacGamer »

glazball

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Has anyone been able to grant Attract Mode on macOS Catalina Removable Volumes access?

When launching Attact Mode executable via Terminal, macOS prompts to give terminal access to Removable Volumes and I can then see the roms from the external drive.

When launching the Attract Mode App, there is no prompt to grant access to Removable Volumes.

I have allowed Attract Mode.app and .attract folder Full Disk Access but this does not seem to give Attract Mode access to my roms on external drive.

Any Ideas anyone?

Cheers

I'm having the same problem when launching Attract Mode (2.6.0) from Catalina (10.15.2) because AM is unable to access my network storage (where ROMs are located).  Like RMG mentioned, even granting AM access to Full Disk Access via Security Settings doesn't fix the problem.  Only when I launch from Terminal (and giving Terminal full disk access) allows AM to "see" the ROMs and menus are populated with titles, as expected.

Just wanted to bump this up for us Catalina users.  Any ideas or news much appreciated!

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 05:43:02 AM »
Bumping up a pretty old but very informative thread: I've not yet upgraded to Catalina, mostly because I found articles like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2019/12/28/apple-macos-catalina-macbook-pro-imac-mac-security-permission-restriction/#7563c45785ec

I understand that Catalina at a certain point has stopped executing non signed software "by default" but I've not found yet a clear explanation of what happens if you WANT to run unsigned code. Do you have to right click each and every time? Someone on Catalina maybe can give some explanation?