Author Topic: General OS X (mac) help here  (Read 11745 times)

akafox

• View Profile
General OS X (mac) help here
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
This thread is for MAC OS X questions relating to attract mode and emulation. For help on the emulator itself please see that emulator's thread. Also note that this is for setting up quickly. Any in depth questions or problems should be looked for on that emulator's forum!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:49:01 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

buckyshimp

• View Profile
Re: General OS X (mac) help here
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
Does anyone have any success in OSX with emulators other than MAME? I'm trying to run any SNES emulator through attract mode, but have yet to succeed. My mame setup is working great. I can get snes9x to run a rom directly from the terminal with the command:

open -a snes9x.app roms/mk.zip

However, I cannot get any sort of success with running snes9x or zsnes through attract-mode on OSX.

I checked with Verion (a known OSX user) but he's only a MAME user.

I just want to get a multi-emulator front end working, and I love attract mode for MAME.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:17:22 PM by buckyshimp »

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
Can some MAC users step up and help please. If any of you have non-mame emulators (nes, snes, sms, megadrive) running under attract mode help this person out! Come on this is what this forum is for!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
I don't use mac but let me see if I can help a lest a little!  Help me out here:

open -a <-- what is this for?
snes9x.app <-- is the "executable"?
roms/mk.zip <-- is the rom?

make your config look like this:

# Generated by Attract-Mode 1.5.2
#
executable           snes9x.app
args                 "[romfilename]" <--- this might be your biggest culprit
rompath              roms
romext               .zip
system               
info_source         

I have to ask you have mk.zip are you sure that is a SNES rom? Normally snes9x uses "long file name" roms check your zip to see what type file it is..it should be a .sfc extension.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 03:51:36 AM »
I don't use any emulators other than mame

but let me try

Code: [Select]
open -a snes9x.app
seems ok, this is terminal command to start snes9x.app that is in Application folder

Code: [Select]
rompath  romsThis can be a problem maybe you should type full path to the roms?

something like this:
/Users/verion/Documents/emulation/snes/roms

tip:
you can drag your rom folder to Terminal.app window and it will show you full path to that folder
try to avoid folder names with spaces "just in case"

RetroMacGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »
I have setup tons of emulators in Attract Mode on my iMac, Mame, Final Burn Alpha, Snes, Nintendo DS, various Atari, various Gameboy, N64, Megadrive, PSP, Dreamcast

You will need to Download Retro Arch for Mac, once open scroll down to Online Updater and Core Update, there you can download all the cores for whatever emulator you need.  Set up the controls too

In attract Mode you will need to do the following commands when setting up new Emulator, this example is for Nintendo DS;

Executable: /applications/retroarch.app/Contents/MacOS/RetroArch
Command Arguments: -L /Applications/RetroArch.app/Contents/Resources/cores/desmume_libretro.dylib

With a PS4 controller I can launch exit all perfectly just like on the Raspberry Pi except I'm on a much more powerful machine.

mark0sx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 03:08:35 PM »
Can someone help me out? I downloaded a complete version of Hyperpie mac version 2, which looks just awesome. All graphics look great, and all consoles are there. I installed retroarch and got all cores. With the download I saw all settings are (in my newby eyes) correct in Attract mode for the emulator cores of Retroarch.

Somehow with adding roms it only saw SNES games, and later on with scanning more consoles, but none of the consoles the games will start running.

Who can help me out? I just got so exctited seeing the beauty of this build, I hope to have it running soon. Thanks in advance!!!