Author Topic: Booting into AM from startup on Windows 7 definitive method?  (Read 9588 times)

Escape-to-88

• View Profile
Booting into AM from startup on Windows 7 definitive method?
« on: February 28, 2019, 06:17:41 AM »
Hi all,

I wondered if there is a  definitive method for booting into AM from startup on Windows 7? Obviously resheller doesn't work and I currently do this:

open Registry Editor and locate the following registry entry: Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Name: Shell
Type: REG_SZ
Value: Explorer.exe
now change that value to read this: C:\AttractMode\attract.exe -c C:\AttractMode
(change path to whatever you have)

However this obviously means I can't access the Windows desktop, as it's just black with a mouse curso when I exit AM. Is there a way I can boot into AM from startup hiding all the Windows 7 stuff and still have access to Wincodws 7 when I exit out of AM? Mainly if I need to add or change things. At the moment I have to regedit exlorer.exe back in and wondered if there was a 'smoother' way of doing things?

Thanks

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Booting into AM from startup on Windows 7 definitive method?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 06:51:59 AM »
Maybe instead of launching Attract Mode in place of explorer you can launch a script that runs attract mode and explorer one after the other. If I remember correctly explorer won't start until attract.exe exits...

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Launch task manager with CTRL + ALT + DEL File -> run -> explorer

Escape-to-88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:20:14 AM »
Thanks, so I can't run them together at the same time?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
Yes, you can run them together. This is how Windows works, Explorer.exe is launched at boot as a shell and then other programs are run on top of it.

You can only have one shell. If you use attract.exe as your shell then you would have to launch any other programs by using a script or in the manner that keilmillerjr describes. You would typically only run AM as a shell if you don't want to see and use the OS for anything else, like in an arcade cabinet.

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »
its how i did it. my pc boots right into attract and if i need to do somthing just ctrl+alt+delete and run whatever program you want from task manager. everything still works.
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

Escape-to-88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
Thanks all. Seems like I'm doing it right then, just off to locate icons etc. to hide the Windows startup logo :)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
Instant Sheller is a free program that can help. There's a bunch of helpful information here https://www.gameex.com/instant-sheller-and-shelling-guide/.

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
or you try my program. it can attractmode set as a shell....

rloxley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:59:58 AM »
Running another program as a shell is always a problem, as you don't have access anymore to all standard windows functions, which are running on explorer shell only, by default. network access for example... To me the better way is putting it in autostart, so you have still access to all standard functions. You can also get rid of the windows logo on startup, have a black login screen, setup automatically login with your username & password etc, but it will not be completely seamless startup.

So you have to decide, if you want seamless start, or having everything functional in the background as usual. You cannot have both 100% at the same time.

When using attract mode as a shell, you can create a simple batch file, which automatically launches explorer.exe everytime you leave attract mode, so you don't see that black screen any longer and you don't have to always hit "strg + alt +del" and type in "explorer.exe" anymore... much more comfortable. Searching the web you should easily find how to.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:21:52 AM by rloxley »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 08:10:42 AM »
Running another program as a shell is always a problem, as you don't have access anymore to all standard windows functions, which are running on explorer shell only, by default. network access for example... To me the better way is putting it in autostart, so you have still access to all standard functions. You can also get rid of the windows logo on startup, have a black login screen, setup automatically login with your username & password etc, but it will not be completely seamless startup.

So you have to decide, if you want seamless start, or having everything functional in the background as usual. You cannot have both 100% at the same time.

When using attract mode as a shell, you can create a simple batch file, which automatically launches explorer.exe everytime you leave attract mode, so you don't see that black screen any longer and you don't have to always hit "strg + alt +del" and type in "explorer.exe" anymore... much more comfortable. Searching the web you should easily find how to.

scuse me sir but i have mine shelled to am and my own boot screen and mobo splash screen and my system works just fine. i can access windows and ALL WINDOWS FEATURES. even networking and anything i want. it DOES NOT harm windows except that it turns your desktop off but yet you CAN STILL get to any and ALL programs.  ;)
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
+1 what toothlessgrin said. I have no issues.

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

Going straight to Attract_Mode is nice as I no longer have to pause for a few seconds to allow windows aero desktop to come fully alive. 

My exit routine (it provides some options) wasn't getting focus, attract mode wasn't disappearing. Solved that with the exit command: start exit.bat

My question is, how do I launch the usual windows 7 desktop if I want it ?  explorer.exe just gives me a windows explorer window.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »

Going straight to Attract_Mode is nice as I no longer have to pause for a few seconds to allow windows aero desktop to come fully alive. 

My exit routine (it provides some options) wasn't getting focus, attract mode wasn't disappearing. Solved that with the exit command: start exit.bat

My question is, how do I launch the usual windows 7 desktop if I want it ?  explorer.exe just gives me a windows explorer window.

Launching explorer.exe should give you a full desktop environment.

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 01:59:17 PM »
Launching explorer.exe should give you a full desktop environment.

That's what I expected, as that's what happens usually if you have to restart explorer.  But then I thought it might be different because the desktop hasn't been previously started. 

So now I'm a bit confused.  It's not causing me a problem though, I can still do whatever I need to.