Author Topic: Attract Mode Rom List  (Read 8735 times)

gunthermic

• View Profile
Attract Mode Rom List
« on: February 14, 2019, 01:35:42 AM »
Attract mode Rom List gives us all kinds of info, but looking for a better understanding of each part please.

#Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra

Thats what i am gathering. I understand of course
Name, Title, emulator, Cloneof, Manufacturer, Category(Genre), Players (number of), Rotation (vertical/Horizontal) however the rest I need a better understanding.

Control: Is the 4 way joystick kind of thing? or Number of Buttons?
Display count: What is this a count of? Where does it come from?
Display Type: No idea
AltRomName/AltTitle: I understand what it says, but where is this coming from?
Extra: Where is this?

Is there a great place to create a complete xml file to have all this???

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Attract Mode Rom List
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 03:22:46 AM »

Control is, as you guessed, related to the controller itself, so joystick, paddle etc. There's an undocumented "Buttons" which relates to the number of buttons.

gunthermic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 12:49:25 AM »

Control is, as you guessed, related to the controller itself, so joystick, paddle etc. There's an undocumented "Buttons" which relates to the number of buttons.

We can call Buttons as a magic tokin? Where is it getting that info from?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 03:13:32 AM »

Pulled from mame xml.

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/77bfe4aac6a109661cfce2c2715d886e596b282e/src/scraper_xml.cpp#L452

gunthermic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 04:05:09 AM »

Pulled from mame xml.

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/77bfe4aac6a109661cfce2c2715d886e596b282e/src/scraper_xml.cpp#L452

Thank you. The ARpiCADE doesn't have that piece.  I have it in my XML and my lst files.

I wonder if I put the Buttons info into the extra in my text fiel if it would work?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:35:56 PM »
Name - name of the rom Ex. pacman.zip
Title - The name you want to show in the list Ex. Pac-Man
Emulator - The emulator that this games it used  with
CloneOf - Used to show a clone of a game (mame) [pacman is a clone of puckman. puckman is the parent rom]
Year - The year the game was made
Manufacturer - The manufacturer name
Category - The category of the game (genre) [shooter fighting role playing ect.]
Players - the number of players
Rotation - Is it a vertical or a horizontal screen (mame)
Control - Joystick spinner trackball ect.
Status - The working status of the game [Good, working but not perfect not working] (mame)
DisplayCount - How many screens it uses (mame)
DisplayType - Is it a vector or a Raster monitor (mame)
AltRomname - if there is one (pacman.zip..instead of puckman.zip)
AltTitle - if there is one (Pac-Man..instead of Puckman.zip)
Extra - any extra info

All this info is added normally by the mame.xml, players.ini, controls.ini and catver.ini files that is made for MAME
You can add that info to other systems as well as you like. Just open the game list into a plain text editor I have made lists by hand many times. I have tired to make a players.ini and a catver.ini for other systems as well..with mixed results.
People want life easy..then complain about it

gunthermic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
Name - name of the rom Ex. pacman.zip
Title - The name you want to show in the list Ex. Pac-Man
Emulator - The emulator that this games it used  with
CloneOf - Used to show a clone of a game (mame) [pacman is a clone of puckman. puckman is the parent rom]
Year - The year the game was made
Manufacturer - The manufacturer name
Category - The category of the game (genre) [shooter fighting role playing ect.]
Players - the number of players
Rotation - Is it a vertical or a horizontal screen (mame)
Control - Joystick spinner trackball ect.
Status - The working status of the game [Good, working but not perfect not working] (mame)
DisplayCount - How many screens it uses (mame)
DisplayType - Is it a vector or a Raster monitor (mame)
AltRomname - if there is one (pacman.zip..instead of puckman.zip)
AltTitle - if there is one (Pac-Man..instead of Puckman.zip)
Extra - any extra info

All this info is added normally by the mame.xml, players.ini, controls.ini and catver.ini files that is made for MAME
You can add that info to other systems as well as you like. Just open the game list into a plain text editor I have made lists by hand many times. I have tired to make a players.ini and a catver.ini for other systems as well..with mixed results.

Excellent. Like I said no buttons, for the system to pull from. (ARpiCADE). But thank you for saying exactly what is what. I am going to put buttons into Extra. LOL

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »
Excellent. Like I said no buttons, for the system to pull from. (ARpiCADE). But thank you for saying exactly what is what. I am going to put buttons into Extra. LOL

In later versions of AM, following romlist template is being used/ usable:

Code: [Select]
Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons
[Buttons] is now usable and works like a anyother [Magic Token], I have tested/ used it myself. You can enter a value and directly call [Buttons] in a layout. I am using [Buttons] for control icons in a layout via following code:

local controlicon = fe.add_image ("D:/Attract-Mode v2.5.1 (x64)/resources/controllers/[Buttons].png", 1550, 292, 70, 70);

with [Buttons] being populated with relevant data.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:56:17 PM »
ARpiCADE is a jamma hardware for the pi. There is a preconfigured image they provide. I have no idea what Linux distribution its running. However, the documents say it includes attract-mode, mame 0.172 & 0.181, AdvanceMAME (not sure what version, as it is currently based off mame 0.106 but previous versions based off older mame), mame4all (based off 0.37), mame2003 (based off mame 0.78). It is possible your emulator is not outputting a correct full xml file (I have seen it with these modified mame builds), or a the format is not recommended by attract yet. I had to modify the attract source to resolve a button issue with newer mame versions that changed xml format. Need to write xml output to file and compare to attract source.

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
Hey Guntherm...

The site I use to create my ROM Lists ... ( http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/lista_mame.php ) ... outputs a list that includes:

#Romname;Title;Emulator;Cloneof;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons;Favourite;Tags;PlayedCount;PlayedTime;FileIsAvailable

As you can see... it includes button information! (right next to the Extra)...

Here is a snip of the output:

005;005;advmame;;1981;Sega;Maze / Shooter Small;2P alt;270;joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way);imperfect;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
alpine;Alpine Ski (set 1);advmame;;1982;Taito Corporation;Sports / Skiing;2P alt;270;joystick (2-way),joystick (2-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
amidar;Amidar;advmame;;1982;Konami;Maze / Outline;2P alt;90;joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
anteater;Anteater;advmame;;1982;Tago Electronics;Maze / Collect;2P alt;90;joystick (4-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
armorcar;Armored Car (set 1);advmame;;1981;Stern Electronics;Maze / Collect;2P alt;90;joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way);good;1;raster;;;;2;;;0;;1
assault;Assault (Rev B);advmame;;1988;Namco;Shooter / Driving;1P;90;double joystick (4-way),double joystick (4-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
astrob;Astro Blaster (version 3);advmame;;1981;Sega;Shooter / Gallery;2P alt;270;joystick (2-way),joystick (2-way);imperfect;1;raster;;;;2;;;0;;1
astrof;Astro Fighter (set 1);advmame;;1979;Data East;Shooter / Gallery;2P alt;90;joystick (2-way),joystick (2-way);imperfect;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
attckufo;Attack UFO;advmame;;1980;Ryoto Electric Co.;Shooter / Gallery;2P alt;270;joystick (2-way),joystick (2-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
bagman;Bagman;advmame;;1982;Valadon Automation;Platform / Run Jump;2P alt;270;joystick (4-way),joystick (4-way);good;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1
ballbomb;Balloon Bomber;advmame;;1980;Taito;Shooter / Gallery;2P alt;270;joystick (2-way),joystick (2-way);imperfect;1;raster;;;;1;;;0;;1

Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (updated 06-27-19)

gunthermic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:27:38 AM »

In later versions of AM, following romlist template is being used/ usable:

Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons
[Buttons] is now usable and works like a anyother [Magic Token], I have tested/ used it myself. You can enter a value and directly call [Buttons] in a layout. I am using [Buttons] for control icons in a layout via following code:

local controlicon = fe.add_image ("D:/Attract-Mode v2.5.1 (x64)/resources/controllers/[Buttons].png", 1550, 292, 70, 70);

with [Buttons] being populated with relevant data.

Ah the piece I was missing... Ours didnt have Buttons defined in list. I have adjusted and its perfect now.