Author Topic: Re: Scraping from thegamedb.net not working  (Read 3789 times)

Z550

• View Profile
Re: Scraping from thegamedb.net not working
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »
I'm trying to scraper from my hegamesdb.net., But I get an error. What should i do?

--scraping thegamesdb.net ...
  Error: None of the configured system identifier (s) are recognized by thegamesdb.net.
#Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable G: \ Attract-Mode \ Emulators \ VisualBoyAdvance \ VisualBoyAdvance.exe
args "[romfilename]"
rompath G: \ Attract-Mode \ Roms \ GameBoy2
romext .gb
system Nintendo Game Boy
info_source thegamesdb.net
exit_hotkey Escape
artwork flyer $ HOME / GB / boxart

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 12:44:38 AM »
thegamedb.net has never been know for reliability. The error you show implies that that system name you used in the "info_source" field isn't correct but it looks correct to me.

Try scraping again at different times on different days to see if you have any change in luck. Let us know the results.

P.S. Your configuration file spacing seems odd. There's usually is more than one space between the field name and the parameter.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:52:36 AM by progets »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »
what progets said. different days different results. completely random working hours..... lol.you can find better places to get scrapes like     http://www.progettosnaps.net/index.php tons of killer stuff here!!
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

Z550

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
not working! sorry.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Two things:

one scraping is a pain in the tail! So best is to download everything manually that way you know it all works. OR after scraping back it all up so you don't have to scrape again but I also know sometimes that is not ideal.

Second you can go to thegamesdb and look how they have the systems listed (how they are spelled spacing full name or short ect ect. Put the info in there and that MAY solve your problem.

Be aware that thegamesdb might only let you scrape some much then cut you off. (though I have not seen anything stating that..who knows.) I scraped everything except for ONE system had to wait two days then everything was fine.

Note that if it is just arcade game you are scraping then you can use the listxml of mame even for retroarch/libretro cores. Just point it to a mame exe/bin when you build the list. Then replace the mame with retroarch.
People want life easy..then complain about it

katarak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »
I have never managed to get TGDB to work. I quickly gave up after a few tries.

I use Skraper UI (https://www.skraper.net/)
It connects to Screen Scraper which has been reliable and with a fair amount of data.
The ui is pretty configurable and it downloads everything and also creates a gameslist for you.
It doesn't have settings for attract mode (it has them for launchbox and retropie and some other).
Still I have found it to work easily after some quick configuration.

There's emumovies.com also, but I've never used it.