Author Topic: How can I update an older version of attract mode?  (Read 5849 times)

FinalFightMan

• View Profile
How can I update an older version of attract mode?
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
Can someone educate me the commands to update an older revision of attract mode please?

RussMyers

• View Profile
Re: How can I update an older version of attract mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
I copied this method from another site and it worked for me.

==============
RETROPIE ATTRACT MODE UPDATE

Well first I would update retroarch files. You can do this from the RetroPie-Setup menu. After that is complete, reboot, then either drop to the command line (F4), or, if you do not have a keyboard connected, quit emulationstation from the menu, then ssh into the pi from a pc or laptop. I use putty as I'm on windows, but any ssh capable app will do.

At the command do the following in order, pressing ENTER after each line and waiting until the prompt appears again before entering the next line.(Note: commands are case sensitive in Linux)

cd ~
    rm -r -f develop
    mkdir develop
    cd develop
    git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/mickelson/attract attract
    cd attract
    make USE_GLES=1 -j4
    sudo make install
    cd ~
    rm -r -f develop
    sudo shutdown -r now

The last line will reboot your system and boot back into emulationstation, or a prompt, depending on your previous image. Either way, you have to get back to the prompt and type: attract

This will get you into your now updated AM.

Hope this helps.
==============

RussM

FinalFightMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
Perfect!! Thanks!!

I copied this method from another site and it worked for me.

==============
RETROPIE ATTRACT MODE UPDATE

Well first I would update retroarch files. You can do this from the RetroPie-Setup menu. After that is complete, reboot, then either drop to the command line (F4), or, if you do not have a keyboard connected, quit emulationstation from the menu, then ssh into the pi from a pc or laptop. I use putty as I'm on windows, but any ssh capable app will do.

At the command do the following in order, pressing ENTER after each line and waiting until the prompt appears again before entering the next line.(Note: commands are case sensitive in Linux)

cd ~
    rm -r -f develop
    mkdir develop
    cd develop
    git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/mickelson/attract attract
    cd attract
    make USE_GLES=1 -j4
    sudo make install
    cd ~
    rm -r -f develop
    sudo shutdown -r now

The last line will reboot your system and boot back into emulationstation, or a prompt, depending on your previous image. Either way, you have to get back to the prompt and type: attract

This will get you into your now updated AM.

Hope this helps.
==============

RussM

rloxley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 05:18:59 AM »
Hello volks  :)

Excuse me replying on an older post, i learned it's better to reply than asking the same question again...

As i am new to this, i am a little confused on how to update an older version of attract mode without losing anything of my configurations and files so far. I am using the Vintage Collection by harrisonhacks with Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, located at "H:\Vintage Collection" containing the following folders: Attract, Games, RocketLauncher, Systems, Temp and Utilities.

Theres no Raspberry Pie, RetroPie, Hyperspin, Linux or anything else, just Attract Mode, installed in the Attract folder.

Can somebody please guide me on this?

[UPDATE]
- made a backup
- simply copied ALL over
- works fine.
Great.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:37:03 AM by rloxley »

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »
I upgraded my 2.41 to 2.51 today buy just overwriting all file included with the attract win64 zip overtop of my install directory.  All config files remained as there are non in 2.51 win64.

I of course backed my old version up before doing this and recommend you do the same in case of any troubles.
good luck