Author Topic: DynamicArcade layout beta-v9 released 26 Jan 2021  (Read 23097 times)

jclampy69

• View Profile
Re: DynamicArcade layout beta-v5 released 11 Jan 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »
- Urgent bug: I forgot to change lines #151 & #351 "snap" to "tscreen" *I'll put out beta-v6 within 6 hours from now*

Thanks to Damonxxx reporting bug to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:04:56 PM by jclampy69 »

jclampy69

• View Profile
Re: DynamicArcade layout beta-v6 released 11 Jan 2021
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 02:12:05 AM »
Beta-v6 released.
- Bug Fix: changed incorrect artwork identifiers from "snap" to "tscreen"
- improved efficiency of shader usage

Link in first post.

Please pay attention to the recent **Artwork Naming Convention** used in your cfg file in the (AttractMode)\emulators\ folder.
// wheel = game logos (preferably resolution smaller than 1000 wide so not to overload AttractModes image cache).
// cabinet = game cabinets (this layout uses cabinet images of resolution 1300x1080).
// marquee = game marquees (preferably resolution smaller than 1500 wide so not to overload AttractModes image cache).
// video = game videos (preferably 640x480 or 320x240 for correct ratio for shader effect settings).
// tscreen = game title screens (preferably 640x480 or 320x240 for correct ratio for shader effect settings).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:16:52 AM by jclampy69 »

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 05:42:03 PM »
Are you aware of the blinking that happens when the arcade cabinets begin to slide away? As my selection changes on both my windows pc and raspberry pi, the same thing happens, the leaving cabinet disappears and reappears half way through the slide. I didn't dive into the code yet to figure it out, but it doesn't look intentional.

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »
Hi mahuti, I know what you are referring to.

What is happening is there are 'two' separate cabinets. Currently selected which slides in from left of screen. Previously selected which slides off to right of screen. This is what causes the 'blink', the fact that it is not 'one' cabinet. One way around this might be to force navigation to per single game only, but I doubt that would be very popular.

As far as I know there is no way around this with current AttractMode. Possibly AttractMode+ or a future module from Oomek might offer an alternative solution. Only time will tell.

By all means if you do find a solution, then please let me know.

PS: Would you have a template for default cabinets with a selection of different control panels? I might be able to get the layout to automatically change default cabinet to one with matching control panel based on games number of buttons, etc.. Please let me know if you have something like that in your tool shed. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:34:22 PM by jclampy69 »

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 12:12:46 AM »
 Personally I'm not much of a dev, so I'm not much help on the nuts and bolts. I think, were I to start this layout, I'd try starting with just 2 static pics of cabinets. Work on the animation so that there's no blink during the transition.  Work in additional elements, one at a time. Once the entire cabinet is in there working, then worry about the rest of the background.

Or, were I to start this and I had that blink problem, I'd just do a wholesale cabinet swap without worrying about the animation. There would still be a flash, but it wouldn't be as distracting.

Anyway, if you can nail that problem it'll be solid.

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 02:03:22 AM »
Each cabinet is a 'combined surface', so they work in same way as a static image. We just have to wait to see what the future brings.

I'm working on some new features at the moment that will complement this dual cabinet setup with animation. Hopefully they will shift the balance to outweigh the 'downside'.

I can probably also set the 2nd cabinet as an selectable user option.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:28:33 AM by jclampy69 »

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »
Personally I'm not much of a dev, so I'm not much help on the nuts and bolts. I think, were I to start this layout, I'd try starting with just 2 static pics of cabinets. Work on the animation so that there's no blink during the transition.  Work in additional elements, one at a time. Once the entire cabinet is in there working, then worry about the rest of the background.

Or, were I to start this and I had that blink problem, I'd just do a wholesale cabinet swap without worrying about the animation. There would still be a flash, but it wouldn't be as distracting.

Anyway, if you can nail that problem it'll be solid.
Mahuti, can you make these changes to the layout.nut and tell me if it is an improvement?

Line #340 put // at start of line so it looks like this
//   arcsurfl.set_pos( -1300, 0);

Line #342 change start = 0 to read start = -650

Hopefully that is an improvement? You could play around with the 'start' number to see if you find something that feels better? If so, let me know if you change it to something else.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 08:04:18 AM »
just tryed this theme,  i like it but my onley beef is that when u go left and right it allways
moves in from the right...just seems wierd when you go back to the last game that moved off the screen . hope that makes sence..
help a friend....

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 11:00:51 AM »
when u go left and right it allways
moves in from the right..   

Yeah. That felt strange to me as well.

As for the change you want me to try, I can check it out in a handful of hours.

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 04:23:16 PM »
It sounds like you two are only just seeing this theme for the first time now, having not followed it through the version variations. The cabinet coming in from the left is just a layout styling from the beginning of time.. Cabinet on left and a game list or wheel on the right. The idea of animating the cabinet sliding in from the left is just an extension of that. That styling has been seen before in other layouts like the well known 'at the arcade' layout in the 'great theme collection'.

Here it is most probably a necessity with current AttractMode because each 'dynamic cabinet' is made up of four to five components. When this is drawn in view on-screen (possibly either with or without 'free navigation') there is a likely chance you will for an instance see-through one of the components. So, to avoid that the 'dynamic cabinet' is drawn off-screen first before sliding in as one unit into view.

The 'cabinet leaving' animation was a recent addition to add another piece of uniqueness to this theme and also to show off more of the 'dynamic cabinets' which is the purpose of this theme. I think seeing two 'dynamic cabinets' adds to the atmosphere.

The right side of the screen is already quite populated due to the cabinet taking up the left half of the screen. Normally, from an artistic preference I wouldn't have various assets layering over each other (as in cabinet moving under game list wheel and scroll bar, etc). I don't think it would look as appealing to have cabinets sliding in from the right underneath those assets. For example I've already added a blur to the background video to make it easier to see those assets. I don't feel the leaving animation is as intrusive though, especially when you consider that you won't see it until you end navigation.

Visually, I can't perceive how you could get three of these cabinets on screen while still having an image based list/wheel with any/many other assets (scroll bar, system logo, game count, game meta data, etc) in view at same time... And still having an atmospheric background at all. Having a three cabinet setup, and scrolling through them left and right is a nice idea but really would need a different overall look, everything in different dimensions and placements, smaller cabinets, etc.

From a technical stand-point I wouldn't even attempt that at the moment. Possibly AttractMode Plus or some future released modules might make that more feasible.
I'm sorry if what I've typed above doesn't explain it well.. I've tried to give you my thoughts and reasoning of my experience thus far. But the only way to understand is to try it first hand. I'm in the process of modulating the cabinets so in probably beta-v8 you will be able to start playing around with layout coding yourself and seeing what animation you can come up with.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »
Justifications are unnecessary for any part of a passion project. If you like what you're doing, cool. I'm here to offer constructive criticism where I can, take it or leave it... that's up to you. :-)

The cabinet coming in from the left is just a layout styling from the beginning of time.

Yes. The next thing sliding in is a common pattern. Both the next and previous selections coming from the same direction is an uncommon design pattern, and that's what we were commenting on.

Anyway, I'm going to try the change you mentioned and I'll report back to you here in a bit.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »
pretty shure, it can be done.. ::)

here is what i got...  dont have the grafix, all sized to all sized 100% just a quick mock up
but u can get the idea...

sample = https://youtu.be/b10zO2-U840
help a friend....

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 09:16:11 PM »
Anyway, I'm going to try the change you mentioned and I'll report back to you here in a bit.
Yes, please do.. Also the 'blinking' is directly tied to the use of 'EndNavigation' with the Animation Module on line #342.

jclampy69

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:09 PM »
pretty shure, it can be done.. ::)

here is what i got...  dont have the grafix, all sized to all sized 100% just a quick mock up
but u can get the idea...

sample = https://youtu.be/b10zO2-U840
Interesting idea, care to share what code you are using there? Will like to see it showing the next and previous cabinet at the same time. Hopefully not using the conveyor module? I'm not using that due to performance issues.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 06:45:42 AM »
its, just modified, carrier, module

if you cant figure out after messing around with it, ill pass this off to you..bro

just figuring a bit more out with it...

its getting their though..latest   https://youtu.be/aYmtoANEHXk

just trying to add the shader to the carrier..
help a friend....