Author Topic: Open source mame *updated*  (Read 13077 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Open source mame *updated*
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:17:24 AM »
So I am sure by now most have you have seen the mame is now open source. While I am sure that there is a looong thread about it on mameworld I just wanted to get your options I guess as I know some of you here.

I don't think a licence has been picked yet. So I guess the future of mame really depends on the license that is used.
But what do you all think? Is it good bad..does it matter to you?

I am not sure what to think yet myself but it could turn out to be a good thing. Now anyone can work on it change it and just (hopefully) make it better. And with MESS being in the code as well what does it mean for mess?

A quarter for you thoughts...or you can just play me in joust instead....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:25:02 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Re: Open source mame
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:55:17 AM »
eh, far as I was concerned it was open source from a development standpoint.
You could do whatever you wanted with the code as long as you didn't sell it or use it in a cabinet in a public place or something like that.

It's using it commercially that's going to be the real change.

my only question is if they are planing to market mame as a means for video game owners to distribute their roms will everything get locked down?
A brand new galaga cab with a 19" LCD & GLSL to look like a CRT made available commercially could be very cool & there may actually be a market for it.

I've heard of a few bar-cade's with classic arcade games popping up.
Because of the scarcity of real boards & people who can fix them this could be a good thing.
but like most good things corporations find a way to ruin it. :)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
Well, it looks like the guys from retroarch might finally get their wish to integrate a mame core now. It must have been like pulling teeth to get David Haywood on board with this. Hmm.. I wonder what he is planning with UME now.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
No actually MAME's licence was..well MAME's own. Been awhile since i have read it. Guess I need to so I can compare..well as soon as they pick a licence.

They actually do make new..yes new..commercial mame boxes..I think.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=namco+multi-arcade
http://www.pinballsandgames.com/Multigamearcade.html
http://www.gameroomchamp.com/pacman-arcade-party/

Now if it's MAME or not idk...I do know the last one is actually made by namco (namcot) so it's legal %100 I'm sure. I'm guessing it's a board with multiple chips.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »
Post from David Haywood on the current state of MAME, UME, ETC... I think this puts everything in perspective. Actually, a good read.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/

Enverex

• View Profile
    • xNode - Internet Toolkit
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:17:17 AM »
Well, it looks like the guys from retroarch might finally get their wish to integrate a mame core now.

I thought they'd had a MAME core for some time, or was it in some way abstracted out and not really a true integrated core?

(btw this verification text is virtually impossible to read :( )

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
Well looking at my retroarch set up I have three mame cores. "mame 2003" , "mame 2010" , "mame 2015" depends on what type of system (or rom set) you want or have.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:37 AM »
Well, it looks like the guys from retroarch might finally get their wish to integrate a mame core now.

I thought they'd had a MAME core for some time, or was it in some way abstracted out and not really a true integrated core?

(btw this verification text is virtually impossible to read :( )

Enverex-

You are correct that retroarch has some mame cores, albeit somewhat limited. I definitely misspoke on what I was trying to convey, and I should edit my post to reflect that. Like fox eluded to, the libretrocores work with certain romsets that can be somewhat limited. I know retroarch is a glue front-end "API' but I don't think they use 100% source and I know some of the emulators are modified with some fixes etc. This is what I should have said, there has been an ongoing flame war between one of the old mame developers and the retroarch devs. It is all about the direction of mame. And, the control over the source for standalone emulation or being portable for things like moble. Check out this conversation between the devs to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Interesting stuff... http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2014/04/07/ume-0-153/ 

http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2014/04/07/ume-0-153/

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
Well so far no big changes or anything.

I was wondering though...some emus are "old" they are still 32 bit programs..we are in a 64 bit world now. I am hoping that developers get on the band wagon and update the code to 64bit. Maybe they will..maybe they can't. Maybe in 20 more years when we have 128 bit CPUs and 64 bit code seems old the emus will die (not work)? (stella fecux snes9x fusion epsxe..ect...). Is anyone gonna care about 8/16/32  bit computers or game consoles...will they even know what they were like? maybe MESS will actually still emulate these systems better in 20 years. Will I care about my old nes or snes in the closet..or will they just be "grandpas old junk?" Yeah i'm whining...I hate getting old lol

After all that is what mame/mess and all these  emulators are for...for "historic backups" so that in 20 30 years from now that generation can look and say "wow we have it easy..they had to use their hands to play." lol
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 10:21:07 PM by akafox »

akafox

• View Profile
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:26:28 PM by akafox »

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Open source mame *updated*
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:20 AM »
Oh......

From Mamdev Emulab:

First off the licensing. As a general MAME user you might not care too much about this, and actually might see more negatives from it than positives due to a handful of drivers being removed, but as far as MAME is concerned it is a big step because with the majority of the code now available under a 3-clause BSD style license we’re basically giving our work away for people to do whatever they want with. The bits that don’t have a BSD license are GPL, which is a bit more restrictive for people in certain industries, but still more of a free license than our previous one.

Read the article here: http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016/03/

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
If I understand it correctly this is a great news for non-windows users:

One big piece of news for 0.172 is that the HLSL shader system has been ported to the ‘BGFX’ video mode, meaning it’s now cross platform rather than Windows specific.

It's from the same ^ article.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Yes that means it should be easier to get it to work in linux/mac..even BSD. (There is a MAME that runs on the haiku OS even!)

I have to agree with that. Linux is moving up (or is that over) from servers to desktops..it's come a long way and I think it is going to be here for the long road. Most people use linux everyday and don't even know it.

The other reason I am glad for more linux support is people make cabs with linux. Why spend more money on your cab? You feel lucky that you were able to convince your significant other you even need/want one! :P So make it "as cheap as possible". Sure WINXP is still relevant for arcade cabs (there is a version of mame that works on DOS 6.2..and yes it is still being developed.) and I have a cab that runs windows98. Linux though can be updated and supported still..so it is a good alternative. Not saying that vista, 7, 8, 10 can't be used (and there are some good emulators that are windows only..pinmame is windows only also) but the windows gui is not very cab friendly..mac works well..however I have no experience with it.

open sorce mens that it can be ported easier I think to many operating systems...but then again...they were doing that before..err I thought..maybe it wasn't so easy till now..?  ???