Author Topic: [update] VELVET theme - 3 horizontal aspects  (Read 25068 times)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Re: [screenshot] VELVET theme preview
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »
oooooooooo purpley.
like.

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
Well... I've barely scratched the surface with this one. So it's really far from being finished.

Your far from being finished always looks sooooo beautiful. Very Nice theme.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 04:57:29 AM »
Thanks, this is because it is a photoshop mockup - not the coded layout.
Of course I'm making it with AM capabilities in mind - so it could be coded later on to look exactly like on mockup.
But there is a long way from mockup to finished code (at least for me).

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: [video] VELVET theme - working prototype
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
Working prototype is ready.
You can see the video on FB

See the bonus feature at the end of the video - you can change the colour of a whole theme - via layout settings.
This way you can pick you favourite colour - or assign particular colour to emulator. Like - red for MVS NEO GEO

It's still a minimal front-end theme - using just a text and a single snapshot (or gameplay video). For the people that don't have all that artwork and don't want to hunt it down (or don't care).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:11:33 AM by verion »

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
Working prototype is ready.
You can see the video on FB

See the bonus feature at the end of the video - you can change the colour of a whole theme - via layout settings.
This way you can pick you favourite colour - or assign particular colour to emulator. Like - red for MVS NEO GEO

It's still a minimal front-end theme - using just a text and a single snapshot (or gameplay video). For the people that don't have all that artwork and don't want to hunt it down (or don't care).

Very nice! It's clean and simple   ;D

tekn0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Excited for this one. I think it will be great for the Raspberry Pi.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:59 AM »
I got back to making this theme.

Below you'll find all 3 horizontal aspects views.
What do you think?

Of course it's (temporarily) lacking game name header in top part and the controls at the bottom (you can see this in video on FB )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:59:32 AM by verion »

bundangdon

• View Profile
Re: [update] VELVET theme - 3 horizontal aspects
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 06:43:15 AM »
Wow! Looking great, especially the 16x9 one  ;D It just needs a logo and a box cover (or flyer) for each game (probably somewhere on the right of the screen) and then it would be perfect! Have you considered making a displays/systems menu layout like this one too?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:45:05 AM by bundangdon »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
Have you seen the video HERE ? This is a working prototype. I just have to change it for all 3 aspects - 4:3 / 16:10 / 16:9
I'm not planning to add logo or poster. I was planning this as snap-only theme "For the people that don't have all that artwork and don't want to hunt it down (or don't care)." as I've said in the first post.

But I can be convinced otherwise - if people really need/want that additional artwork.

---

I'm not sure about the bottom part. I was designing this when display menu wasn't available yet. That's why there is left/right icon to change display - nowadays it should be a button for display menu I suppose. I'm not sure - I'm using only mame.

And I'm not sure if stick and arcade buttons are ok - people are using different types of controllers/gamepads - and I can't design icons for all of them. Maybe I should just make it a text description or make more abstract icons up/down push button etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:01:03 AM by verion »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
Looks great! You could possibly make the width of the game list a percentage of flh, and then subtract game width from flw for snap width. Could possibly be a solution to eliminate the need for three different versions. I used all percentages on my flavors theme so it looks good at any res.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:13 AM »
I could make it like that - but menu width for 16:10 aspect is the smallest possible (for me), so for 4:3 I can't really make it narrower - especially for low-res screens that need fonts to be not to small. I could make it wider for 16:9 but making it the same it's simply easier.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
I could make it like that - but menu width for 16:10 aspect is the smallest possible (for me), so for 4:3 I can't really make it narrower - especially for low-res screens that need fonts to be not to small. I could make it wider for 16:9 but making it the same it's simply easier.

The width would be the same unless orientation switched. That's why I recommended basing the width off a percentage of height. In your photos, when scaled they all have the same height and menu looks to be the same width. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I can try to do a demo for you to make sure it actually does work if your interested.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
OMG... you've wrote FLH - I've somehow missed that and thought that you were talking about making menu like 30% of screen width.
Yes, you are right - that's exactly how I'm doing it, every menu aspect is related to flh, I've used the same method in NEVATO theme.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
OMG... you've wrote FLH - I've somehow missed that and thought that you were talking about making menu like 30% of screen width.
Yes, you are right - that's exactly how I'm doing it, every menu aspect is related to flh, I've used the same method in NEVATO theme.

If that be the case, you shouldn't even have to worry about aspects and only orientation. Menu will be the same regardless of aspect. :)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Menu size won't be a problem.

I'm more concerned about what I should do with the area under the snaps.

Like I've said earlier I was designing this when display menu wasn't available yet. That's why there is left/right icon to change display - nowadays it should be a button for display menu I suppose. I'm not sure - I'm using only mame. And I'm not sure if stick and arcade buttons are ok - people are using different types of controllers/gamepads - and I can't design icons for all of them. Maybe I should just make it a text description or make more abstract icons up/down push button etc.