Author Topic: Arcadeflow theme v 17.1 [Release] Updated 22 March 2024  (Read 548515 times)

Enkak

• View Profile
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 8.8 [Release] Updated 10 September 2020
« Reply #1080 on: September 20, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
Plus, I'm using a global filter rule on all the systems with "FileIsAvailable equals 1"

Ah, global filter rules! I don't even know if AF can work with that :D Gotta check out how it fares with my custom list management...

PS: Maybe you can create also a favorites logo (with the star or other solution you prefer) with the text font like the systems if we want to have them in the display menu?

That would be a nice idea, adding a "Favourites" system with proper logo

Many thx again!

It works in AF quite well. ;)

Having a master romlist and global rule filters and others can be great since it allows stuff like this print, showing here a global favorites collection spreading from all the systems that you have instead. Then the fun starts with custom collections too, using AM filters to find automatically any street fighter game, any (insert title), or show only games from specific emulator/system... The possibilities can be endless since filters are one of the best AM features. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:45:18 AM by Enkak »

Yaron2019

« Reply #1081 on: September 20, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »
But before anything else, try disabling the "automatically check for update" feature from the "Update" options menu... just in case something weird happens when the layout tries to auto update

Ok, it's the auto update for sure.

As for the mame.favdate file - it was empty and after after deleting it it still crashed.
Changing from 1 to 2 rows and back doesn't crash the layout and audio on/off works as well.

Only when I enable auto update it crashes.

If it's not a bug, you didn't make it idiot proof. So let's make sure I am using the layout properly:
I am unzipping it and copying the Arcadeflow_88 folder to my layouts folder. That's basically it   :D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:52:29 AM by Yaron2019 »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1082 on: September 20, 2020, 10:09:39 AM »
Only when I enable auto update it crashes.

If it's not a bug, you didn't make it idiot proof. So let's make sure I am using the layout properly:
I am unzipping it and copying the Arcadeflow_88 folder to my layouts folder. That's basically it   :D

I think you are using it properly, it's auto update that is giving me headaches. I'll try to replicate the issue in Windows 10 (that's your system, right?), the main problem with auto update is that it uses external software I have few control on, and if something goes wrong it can mess with attract mode and hang it.

Yaron2019

« Reply #1083 on: September 20, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
I think you are using it properly, it's auto update that is giving me headaches. I'll try to replicate the issue in Windows 10 (that's your system, right?), the main problem with auto update is that it uses external software I have few control on, and if something goes wrong it can mess with attract mode and hang it.

Yes, I'm using windows 10 v1903. I didn't know that the auto update was an external API - this can be a real issue if it's a black box. What are you using?

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1084 on: September 20, 2020, 01:06:14 PM »

Yes, I'm using windows 10 v1903. I didn't know that the auto update was an external API - this can be a real issue if it's a black box. What are you using?

I'm using curl to get latest version info and download the file from my web space, then mkdir to create folders and tar to unpack everything. The problem is that curl in windows is just an alias for a different command so I packed curl.exe in the archive but it seems there are still issues.
Since all these depends on the user system it is very difficult to debug and to make it failsafe...

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1085 on: September 20, 2020, 11:59:38 PM »

Having a master romlist and global rule filters and others can be great since it allows stuff like this print, showing here a global favorites collection spreading from all the systems that you have instead. Then the fun starts with custom collections too, using AM filters to find automatically any street fighter game, any (insert title), or show only games from specific emulator/system... The possibilities can be endless since filters are one of the best AM features. :)

This is very interesting. I've always thought of implementing a "global favourite" function in my layout, but it's not possible, or better it's possible if the layout scans all the romlists and build an internal custom list, but then it won't be able to launch games.
I also thought that if the user can make a romlist merging all the systems romlists, then Arcadeflow can treat it as a single huge list filtering by systems etc, substituting "displays menu" with a self buils Systems menu that actually filters the huge list, but that's really overkill: Arcadeflow will struggle in sorting and especially realtime filtering such a list.

On the other hand the use of master romlists for each system, with default filter works flawlessly, I feared that it would slow down Arcadeflow but it doesn't because when you load them into the layout Attract Mode applies the filter very quickly.

I have a question on how it could work, because I got from your post that you work with separated romlists for each system and one master romlist, but in this way I don't know if you have to generate the master romlist anytime something changes in the single romlists.

You said that you had to build the master romlist yourself, the one with all the master romlists from the various systems, right? Well maybe the layout could do it for you :O

My idea is this:

- create master romlists for each system
- stitch them together so you can create a huge master romlist
- create a Display for each system, adding a filter like "available = true & system = SNES"
- create custom displays for cross-system favourites or collections etc
- create custom displays "per category", for example one with all consoles, all computers etc

In this way all the changes you make to one display list are reflected in all the other lists. Is this what you are doing?

At the moment if you want to add an "All Consoles" display in Arcadeflow you can do it: just create a merged romlist (or filtered master romlist) and name it "All Consoles#CONSOLE". Bear in mind though that if you remove a display from the cycle list, Arcadeflow won't be able to jump to that :(

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1086 on: September 21, 2020, 12:03:02 AM »
Plus, I'm using a global filter rule on all the systems with "FileIsAvailable equals 1" together with full sets romlists (generated by AM using xml lists) to avoid the need to ever generate a romlist with any game that I might add.

Can you explain me how it is done? Very interested in this feature :D

Enkak

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:28 AM »
Plus, I'm using a global filter rule on all the systems with "FileIsAvailable equals 1" together with full sets romlists (generated by AM using xml lists) to avoid the need to ever generate a romlist with any game that I might add.

Can you explain me how it is done? Very interested in this feature :D

Sure  :)
First step is using hyperlist kinda xml lists for AM to generate a full set romlist.

You can do it opening a command line and:
attract --import-romlist <source_file> [emulator name]
or
attract --import-romlist "system name list.xml" "system name"

Then in attract.cfg file, Spectrum example to show any game automatically when added to the roms path:

Code: [Select]
display Sinclair ZX Spectrum
layout               Arcadeflow_88
romlist              Sinclair ZX Spectrum
in_cycle             yes
in_menu              yes
global_filter       
rule                 FileIsAvailable equals 1
filter               All
sort_by              Title

Mind you that your files or the user ones need to have the same name as those lists of course, that usually follow no intro name, with the exception of mame and a few other arcade systems.

This is very interesting. I've always thought of implementing a "global favourite" function in my layout, but it's not possible, or better it's possible if the layout scans all the romlists and build an internal custom list, but then it won't be able to launch games.
I also thought that if the user can make a romlist merging all the systems romlists, then Arcadeflow can treat it as a single huge list filtering by systems etc, substituting "displays menu" with a self buils Systems menu that actually filters the huge list, but that's really overkill: Arcadeflow will struggle in sorting and especially realtime filtering such a list.

On the other hand the use of master romlists for each system, with default filter works flawlessly, I feared that it would slow down Arcadeflow but it doesn't because when you load them into the layout Attract Mode applies the filter very quickly.

I have a question on how it could work, because I got from your post that you work with separated romlists for each system and one master romlist, but in this way I don't know if you have to generate the master romlist anytime something changes in the single romlists.

You said that you had to build the master romlist yourself, the one with all the master romlists from the various systems, right? Well maybe the layout could do it for you :O

My idea is this:

- create master romlists for each system
- stitch them together so you can create a huge master romlist
- create a Display for each system, adding a filter like "available = true & system = SNES"
- create custom displays for cross-system favourites or collections etc
- create custom displays "per category", for example one with all consoles, all computers etc

In this way all the changes you make to one display list are reflected in all the other lists. Is this what you are doing?

At the moment if you want to add an "All Consoles" display in Arcadeflow you can do it: just create a merged romlist (or filtered master romlist) and name it "All Consoles#CONSOLE". Bear in mind though that if you remove a display from the cycle list, Arcadeflow won't be able to jump to that :(

Regarding romlists, what I usually do is generate first the full set one for any system individually. Then I just copy paste it after to the global master romlist with:
#System name
copy paste all games from the system individual full set romlist

When I need to edit something in the lists (score, number of players, etc), normally I do it first again in the single system romlists, then just copy paste again/overwrite the system in the global master romlist. Sounds like lot of work but it's really just a minutes process.  :-*

Yeah, had to do it manually (copy paste all systems romlists, separated with #System name) due to issues when using AM menu generate process.

Your idea is similar to what I've been doing manually so a more automatic process would be great of course.

I use also another global filter rule for AF to show only a specific system per display together with the global master romlist, that works similar to what you are describing. Here's again a Spectrum example:

display Sinclair ZX Spectrum
romlist              All Systems
in_cycle             yes
in_menu              yes
global_filter       
rule                 Emulator equals Sinclair ZX Spectrum
filter               All
sort_by              Title

Regarding custom displays, I have some similar to this, spreading from all romlists and organize by year in this case:

display Mario
romlist              All Systems
in_cycle             yes
in_menu              yes
global_filter       
rule                 Title contains Mario|Luigi
filter               
sort_by              Year

Or just about any genre, title and whatever we want basically.  ;D

Thanks you for the hint about the "All Consoles" example. :)
Usually, unless the layout has artwork, a way to generate it or if I can make something, I don't have these kind of custom collections in cycle or menu because of that. Thankfully AF at least always show the title in display menu so it's great.  :D

Like the "Favorites" example, using a global master romlist opens some interesting possibilities for any kind of global displays and custom collections. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:59:54 AM by Enkak »

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 24, 2020, 07:06:10 AM »
Are you able to include a blank transparent png that would scale to the screen so one could replace that transparent png with their own of an image of a controller with the buttons showing the commands in the position they decide?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 07:21:43 AM by bionictoothpick »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1089 on: September 24, 2020, 08:18:26 AM »
Are you able to include a blank transparent png that would scale to the screen so one could replace that transparent png with their own of an image of a controller with the buttons showing the commands in the position they decide?

At the moment you can include a custom transparent background for main screen and history page, but of course this will be beeyond the snap tiles. What tou want instead is an overlay that sits on top of everythimg, always in the same position, right? I can make it for the next release ;)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 24, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
Yes, that would be AWESOME!!!

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 8.9 [Release] Updated 25 September 2020
« Reply #1091 on: September 25, 2020, 02:18:52 AM »
Arcadeflow 8.9 is out!

From now on, the auto-update routine for windows should definitely work (fingers crossed!) but there are many other changes and fixes in this version: new colors for the game boy snapshots, a new zoom-out effect when leaving the tiles area, the option to add an overlay (look for the option in the background settings section) and you can now sort the displays menu in different ways!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:08:28 AM by zpaolo11x »

Yaron2019

« Reply #1092 on: September 25, 2020, 09:19:09 AM »
Arcadeflow 8.9 is out!

From now on, the auto-update routine for windows should definitely work (fingers crossed!)

Here I come! 0_0

EDIT: Works! I mean the auto update doesn't crash when it's on. Next release we'll see if it updates. I've set it on download and install 0_0
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:26:49 AM by Yaron2019 »

Yaron2019

« Reply #1093 on: September 25, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
Well, I may have a bug for you for the next version.
AF's main menu sends me to the wrong system:
https://youtu.be/rW6QDfAycdI

It consistently sends me to either the last system (In my case Game&Watch), or to the second system after AF which is Sega Model 2.
attached is my attract.cfg
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:42:18 AM by Yaron2019 »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #1094 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
Well, I may have a bug for you for the next version.
AF's main menu sends me to the wrong system:

I think this is caused by the way Arcadeflow switches displays: if you are not using Arcadeflow for all your displays then it will not work as expected. Did it work in the previous version, with the same configuration? Basically what AF does is it triggers "next_display" or "prev_display" signals until it reaches the right display, then updates all its data. This means that, if the display layout is always Arcadeflow, the layout is never reloaded when switching displays. But if a display is _not_ Arcadeflow, all this trick will fail. I can add an option to use the "old" display load system in the next release.