Author Topic: NOOB newbie questions, first time Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS .....need help please?  (Read 32148 times)

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Hi all, just installed this version of Linux?  Seems nice, hopeful to install attract-mode and mame on this OS?

Do I use the Attract-Mode ArchLinux AUR Package ?  If so looks like i have to instll ArchLinux first?  is that a whole new LInux OS?

Thanks for any help!

akafox

• View Profile
Always glad to have a new penguin! :) Yes it is possible to install AM (attract mode) on linux ubuntu. That's exactly how i run it. (The windows version gave me problems. though I think it was the computer not AM.) Go here first. http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=130.msg548#msg548 Ubuntu uses what is called "deb" packages. The one you see (AUR package is for arch linux) (It's still linux but just a different kind of linux..umm how to explain...still windows (vista) but different windows (7)..does that help?) Anyway I do need a little information from you first though. I need to know if you are running a 64-bit version or a 32 bit version. Open a terminal (easiest way is to press Alt (hold it down) and then press F2) in the box that pops up type "terminal" (if that doesn't work try "konsole") don't use the quotes. You'll see something like this
Code: [Select]
...generic x86_64 the 64 means 64-bit if you see a 32 (or i386) then you need the 32-bit package. After downloading it you can double click on it to start your package manager. However you need have root (administrator in windows speak) privileges to install it. If you do enter your password and it will install itself. (You need to be connected to the internet to install AM..and most other programs for linux). If you get stuck just ask here and I or anyone other penguins will help you. Honestly I love AM in linux much better.
People want life easy..then complain about it

Bsoder52

• View Profile
thanks for the info!  I was able to open the box up and type terminal and konsole, but they just brought up a picture of the flywheels adn the words terminal and konsole under the flywheels logo.  Maybe it would be easier for a newbie to just get the Linux OS mean for the code?  Linux Arch I think it was?   

akafox

• View Profile
thanks for the info!  I was able to open the box up and type terminal and konsole, but they just brought up a picture of the flywheels and the words terminal and konsole under the flywheels logo.

OK I'm confused there..but maybe I confused you. (I haven't used ubuntu in two years.) I think what you are seeing is..well what it does is guess the program you want before typing it all out. Just click on one with your mouse..or finish typing it out and press enter.

Because you have Ubuntu (and sorry for not seeing this earlier) Type the word "terminal" in that box and press the enter key. Then type "uname -mrs" (no quotes)...press enter. Type in your next post what it says in your terminal please.

We'll take it one step at a time I have no problem with that. (Wish I had someone helping me with linux years ago lol) Honestly I was wanting to do a write up to help out..maybe you were sent to be my guinea pig?! MAAAAWWW HAAAHHAHHA...oh wait..helping not scaring you off. ;)

No honestly I am willing to help and guide no problem...and you would be helping me out as well! :)

Maybe it would be easier for a newbie to just get the Linux OS mean for the code?  Linux Arch I think it was?

Arch yes...but arch is not for beginners! Ubuntu is better suited for you I promise. Either way you'd have to do the same thing. A AUR package is for arch linux...but it's the same thing just packaged different. (same present different wrapping).

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
I think arch is difficult for the sake of being difficult. :)
I almost had my 32 bit build for attract mode with older advmame ready then I tried to get creative with the auto log on and hosed the synoptic and the shut down / restart options. No idea what I did but I corrupted a bunch of scripts in the sbin directory.

But it auto logged in. Ha!

I'm going to get back on the 32 bit live build this weekend for older hardware.
I'll make sure to take screenshots this time.
It won't be Ubuntu but the basic principle will be the same.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I tried, but I'm getting the same thing.  I try to click on the icons for terminal or console and click enter and nothing happens.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I think I found it.... after some googling. 
Clicked on System Settings, Details, and it tells me the the OS is 64 bit!
:)

Now what?
:)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Hey man,
I'm not an Ubuntu user so I'm not familiar with the desktop, but I use Linux and just wanted to say don't let that guy on that other forum you posted on discourage you from using Linux.
It's a learning curve.

akafox

• View Profile
nitrigen_widget
"...but I use Linux and just wanted to say don't let that guy on that other forum you posted on discourage you from using Linux.
It's a learning curve.

Rightly said nitrigen! Linux can be difficult but the rewards (freedom) are way worth it I think! I applause you for your efforts Bsoder..stick with it. It will be worth it!

Ok next step Bosder go the the link to the packages..http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=130.msg548#msg548 Download the one that says "attractmode_1.5.1_amd64.deb". Once it is download you will need to "install" it (windows speak). For that you need to enter your "root" )or "sudo" sometimes it's called) password. From there it will install. Might say I need "dependencies" or something like that. You need to say yes or ok becuase you need those files. Once you have it installed look under games. Click and it should start! :) If you need more help always ask glad to help (like setting up attract mode...but there are more people that can do the one besides me :P )

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Here is an example what to type.

sudo dpkg -i package_name.deb

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Thanks again guys!  I watched a video or two and ended up installing attract mode via app grid.  pretty cool tool! 

akafox

• View Profile
nirto..you are gonna go total CLI? I would have but I wasn't sure that was the best route for a noob. Hard core man. *bows honourably* As for not helping as well as I should..I forgot that ubuntu used the unity desktop..and it reminds me why I don't use it! lol

Good Bsoder! Glad you got it. If you need help setting up AM troll the forums or just ask. (new thread). I have to ask though..what is "app grid"? do you mean apt-get?

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
I use pclinuxos and since there are no packages I gotta compile from source so I've gotten use to the terminal.
It took a little while before I was not afraid of it. Lol.

Appgrid after some Google ing appears to be an alternative app store for Ubuntu.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
yes alternative app store with a build in .dat installer!  I just right clicked on the .deb file and it gives you and option to install via app grid, very user friendly (so far at least...cause I don't really understand where or how app grid installed the file, but app is working).

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I downloaded some roms to usb, but having trouble moving them from usb to Mame. 
If someone could help me with this I should then be able to test mame and then configure attract mode, (I hope)!  :)