Author Topic: LAVA v1.0 Official Release.  (Read 33133 times)

asahendrix

• View Profile
Yeah these new images are awesome! Couple of questions:

Can the NES next to the TV be easily switched out with another console when you change systems?

Also, and this sounds a little nit picky, but could we get an image with a few less beer cans/bottles? Lol

Lastly, are you going to be working on a layout the fits with the background image you posted here? If so, I'd love to try it out.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

asahendrix

• View Profile
@takoni
i think it is more funny to create one that will be just a copy of another person´s work.
"Funny" is not the right word. It looks more like "copyright infringement".
Especially if you are planning to copy a commercial product - it's far from "no harm done" use of some fan art, especially if the author allows it. There is no "personal use" that can justify this, as the original product "mGalaxy" is intended for personal use.
Looking for inspirations is one thing - but copying a commercial product is not a good approach.

Also, I'm sure you're underestimating both the importance of those backgrounds and the time/effort/talent that goes into creating it. If you strip the graphics from the theme like this - you'll end up only with wheel game list and a snap.

If you'll go back and read earlier posts, we've already established that we can't "copy" the original artwork of mGalaxy. I think what takoni was implying is that we can pull inspiration from the design of mGalaxy to create something new - which is EXACTLY what mGalaxy did when creating their front end. The only difference is, no one is going to charge money for it.

If taking inspiration from another project to create your own is copyright infringement, then mGalaxy is guilty of this as they were not the first to create a front end for Windows. Furthermore, they took money for it - and the right word for that is "fraud". That is, if we're going to be strict with what's infringement and what's not.

If you wanted, you could make a pretty good case for mGalaxy skirting the line of infringement and then fiscally profiting from it. The top image for a VR build *5 years ago* - the bottom image is mGalaxy's arcade theme:

https://www.roadtovr.com/newretroarcade-oculus-rift-dk2-download-arcade-virtual-reality/

takoni

• View Profile
Sorry about my english , i wanted to say is : is more funny for me to create original one than just copy the work of another person. I think google translator is not perfect for my poor English, I don’t want to disparaging the work of nobody , sorry .

asahendrix

• View Profile
Sorry about my english , i wanted to say is : is more funny for me to create original one than just copy the work of another person. I think google translator is not perfect for my poor English, I don’t want to disparaging the work of nobody , sorry .

No hay un problema, amigo. Yo hablo un pocco de español y es muy dificil para mi. A si que yo entiendo.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
Here will be a very good option....

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/E6wP4

i think their is a bong missing... ::) too...
help a friend....

asahendrix

• View Profile
I found some good backgrounds

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Sorry about my english , i wanted to say is : is more funny for me to create original one than just copy the work of another person.

Yea, no problem. :D
Now it sounds TOTALLY different and this is the best approach.

---

One piece of advice. If you want this to run flawlessly on RPi you should test your theme on RPI from day one (on actual hardware). Attract Mode themes are not that efficient - especially when using surfaces - and RPI can easily choke. You have to optimize or make some features optional to make it run on RPi.

asahendrix

• View Profile
I’ve done just a tab bit with this image. I had the script for the clock on the VCR working and then I corrected the time on my Pi and the background image quit on me so I took out the code for that.

I’d like to have wheel art instead of text, but I can’t figure that out either. I haven’t even bothered with the time shading aspect - that’s way beyond me.

takoni

• View Profile
Hi! here some work in progress with that beautifull background.

https://youtu.be/6Jk6nRyxUaY

I think, perhaps is time to close this topic, and start a new layout WIP topic ?

asahendrix

• View Profile
Hi! here some work in progress with that beautifull background.

https://youtu.be/6Jk6nRyxUaY

I think, perhaps is time to close this topic, and start a new layout WIP topic ?

Video is not working :/

takoni

• View Profile

asahendrix

• View Profile
Nice!! I was thinking it would be great if the lava lamp were working! Do you know how to replace the game text with wheel art?

asahendrix

• View Profile
I also think it would great if the user could pick the lava lamp color.

And I think it would be good if there was small layer over the tv that makes the corners of the snap round because the video snap corners are sharp and old TVs didn’t have sharp corners - just a thought :)

takoni

• View Profile
Hi ,  well it’s a work in progress , wheel can be used , clock over video recorder runs and will change background day / night , lava lamp already works , color will be an option

asahendrix

• View Profile
Hi ,  well it’s a work in progress , wheel can be used , clock over video recorder runs and will change background day / night , lava lamp already works , color will be an option

Thank you for all of your hard work!!