Author Topic: Feature Wishlist  (Read 1062 times)

fartboy

• View Profile
Feature Wishlist
« on: July 04, 2023, 03:24:59 PM »
Thought I'd start a feature wishlist thread if people are interested in this.

- The ability to display certain systems. Like a computer tree. First pick "Sony" as an example then the system, then the game. Or perhaps pick "handheld" and those would appear.
- There's a button to edit a game, I think you should be able to use it in the displays menu too to edit that system.
- Multiple emulators per system. Right now you need a page for each emulator but I think some people would chose to have it in such a way that after you pick a game it would ask you which emulator to use if there are multiple of them defined.
- The ability to rename a defined emulator.
- The ability to reorder the display list. (these last two are a pain to do manually)

dmmarti

• View Profile
Re: Feature Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 05:02:27 AM »
For my AM build, I use a nested menu.  My main menu has "Arcades, Computers, Consoles, etc." .. the next menu is the various systems themselves, and finally clicking into the single system to show the games.

Here's a Youtube video quickly showing how it works.

https://youtu.be/nnA9pe3MoSU

Here's my working Google sheet for my AM build.  There are two tabs in it.  Tab one shows info about the various systems, tab two shows the various nested menu items.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mwIjk7TFWoD--7hfiPHCYUxFtIz1yhD8BLtWdQQWwKw/edit?usp=sharing

For the edit button, AM has one already.  If you setup a button for "Edit Game" within the Controls option:
1. pressing it in a menu display brings up choices related to the menu
2. pressing it in a system brings up edit game menu (where you can then quickly pick an emulator from the drop-down list, etc)

I have multiple emulators configured for a few systems, and using the "Edit Game" option above, allows me to quickly pick one for the single game.

as for the last two .... as far as I know, yea, all a manual process to do.

fartboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:20:45 AM »
For the edit button, AM has one already.  If you setup a button for "Edit Game" within the Controls option:
1. pressing it in a menu display brings up choices related to the menu
2. pressing it in a system brings up edit game menu (where you can then quickly pick an emulator from the drop-down list, etc)
This is not correct.

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 04:22:02 AM »
Hm....the way my AM install works it is.

If I'm looking at a system display showing a wheel for all the games, when I press my Edit Game button, it brings up the "Edit Game" menu for the game I currently have selected in the wheel. In there I can choose which emulator, rename the game, etc. These edits are saved in the corresponding romlist text file.

If I'm looking at the main menu, pressing my Edit Game button brings up the "Display Edit" menu where I could choose what layout to use, which romlist, etc for the currently selected wheel item. These edits are saved in the attract.cfg file.

Edit: just checked, and this behavior is the same in Attract Mode as well as Attract Mode Plus
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 06:58:48 AM by dmmarti »

fartboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 02:07:18 PM »
Isn't working for me.

Anyways, I realized another good feature would be to be able to set another program to run when the emulator runs. Like x360ce.

lessthanzero33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 06:49:45 PM »
My wishlist for AM would be to have a robust rom importing system (similar to Launchbox's rom import system)

fartboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
- The ability to display certain systems. Like a computer tree. First pick "Sony" as an example then the system, then the game. Or perhaps pick "handheld" and those would appear.
So apparently you can do this already by making an emulator that links to nothing then generate the romlist, then when you go into that display, press your "insert game" key and select "insert display shortcut". (So for example make a generic Nintendo one then fill it with links to your Nintendo displays.) Then select your emulator displays off of "show in menu" but have your overall Nintedo, Sega, etc, displays on "show in menu". Protip you can even still have an extra one that still shows everything to have the best of both worlds. I also kept the system specific displays to have "show in cycle" but not the new overall ones, but that's up to you.