Author Topic: Using AttractMode as a Windows shell replacement  (Read 14063 times)

bikeguychicago

• View Profile
Using AttractMode as a Windows shell replacement
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
I attempted to configure AttractMode as a Windows shell replacement (launching attract.exe instead of explorer.exe on Windows startup). While AttractMode did launch, it was unable to find its configuration file, appearing as thought the program had been run for the first time. AttractMode does work correctly if it is run as one of the Windows startup items (with Explorer as the shell).

Has anyone gotten AttractMode to work as a shell replacement and, if so, can you describe what steps you took to get it to work properly?

My ultimate goal with my cab is to hide as much of Windows as possible and I'm almost there.

Thanks!

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
Re: Using AttractMode as a Windows shell replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
Using windows 7, change Winlogon/Shell in the user registry hive:
"C:\AttractMode\attract.exe -c c:\attractmode"

With XP I had all sorts of issues with explorer not running, so on that machine it's just a startup program

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »
Actally there is a program that will do that for you. It worked very well on Winddows XP SP3. So well it fact that people thought that was how it was set up because they never saw ANY windows anything...even the splash screen is changed. As easy as click pick and reboot. Here is the link http://www.gameex.com/instant-sheller-and-shelling-guide/ No need to do any registry changes by hand it does it for you.
People want life easy..then complain about it

pixelrobot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
So when I try to launch attract mode with instant sheller it launches the program as though it's being run for the first time, ignoring my .cfg file and launching straight to the options menu

is there something I'm doing wrong?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »
Really? Huh...I'll look into it. Yeah I was running mamewah at the time. I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know..that's odd it does that. once it [attract mode] is all configured you shouldn't have to do that. I also forget that attract mode will work in windows.....

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »
Well you were right. (Not that i doubted you though) However you can start instant sheller and then set up your config and then it will load it correctly. However that is makes things a little difficult. I went digging. Turns out that windows copies attract mode files to C:Documents and Settings/user/. In fact it copies almost all the folders (not the language folder ) and files in the attractmode folder..except the attract.exe. So because it's a cab nothing else on this computer I just unzipped attract mode to the above folder and it works fine with instant sheller. So just copy your config files and folders to that folder that should do it. If you need help let me know.

cools

• Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:32:16 AM »
That'll be because it requires the -c parameter. Try the command I gave earlier in the thread in Instant Sheller

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »
Tried that. I take it the -c is a switch to have AM look for a config file in (whatever) directory? Innstant sheller gives me an error "Specify a valid executable shell". This is on WInXP SP3. I don't have windows vista 7, 8 so idk about any of that. Not sure why you had problems with WinXP mine works flawlessly. But I know how computers work too :P You never did say what version of windows you had bikeguy.

Obiwantje

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
cools - thanks for that hint - so on windows 7 - to get this going - don't use instant sheller, instead do this:

open Registry Editor and locate the following registry entry:

Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Name: Shell

Type: REG_SZ

Value: Explorer.exe

now change that value to read this: C:\AttractMode\attract.exe -c C:\AttractMode
(change path to whatever you have)

---

Now question to you all - this WILL replace the shell - however it still will show the cmd terminal window at the start before it goes to the full screen front-end. Did any of you find a good solution to this by chance?

h0tw1r3

• Hackety hack
    • View Profile
    • Latest Builds
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »
Now question to you all - this WILL replace the shell - however it still will show the cmd terminal window at the start before it goes to the full screen front-end. Did any of you find a good solution to this by chance?

AM is compiled as a console application so you can't get rid of it without a wrapper. AM could be compiled as GUI, but then console wouldn't work for error messages. I am working on a patch to fix the issue, but it's not ready quite yet.

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 05:12:08 AM »
Have you tried start minimized option?

EDIT: I've tried it and it still shows the cmd terminal.

Couldn't a GUI version be compiled with a log file for errors?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:15:39 AM by xbs »

dbinott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 12:18:24 PM »
This is interesting. Anything ever come of it?

clockman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »

AM is compiled as a console application so you can't get rid of it without a wrapper. AM could be compiled as GUI, but then console wouldn't work for error messages. I am working on a patch to fix the issue, but it's not ready quite yet.
So could someone make a video on how do do this? i got my cabinet done and i want to boot directly in to attractmode!

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
Will this work on windows 8.0