Author Topic: Static picture with LCD marquee & multimon  (Read 1122 times)

snax087

• View Profile
Static picture with LCD marquee & multimon
« on: January 01, 2023, 07:58:24 PM »
Just began to mess with the MultiMon plugin and a second monitor i had lying around. Im about to build a new 4 player arcade cab and thought maybe i would go LCD marquee this time around, but i'm not sure if i can do what i want. I would like to be able to display a static picture on the marquee, and then once a game is launched it transitions to the games marquee, and then back to the original picture when the game is exited. Is this possible? Thanks

stamina

• View Profile
Re: Static picture with LCD marquee & multimon
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
I got a separate marquee LCD working with attract(plus).

I didn't use the MultiMon plugin (read somewhere that it was very limited/never finished), but instead added a transition callback to
my layout.nut file that (over)writes the currently selected game name to a fixed textfile.

Using something like: system("echo " + "\"" + fe.game_info(Info.Name) + "_1920720.png\" >| /home/stamina/Games/marquees/current.txt");

I've put that call on the Transition.StartLayout, Transition.ToNewList, Transition.ToNewSelection and Transition.ToGame transistions.

Then a background bash script continuously scans this textfile's modification timestamp and changes my 2nd Marquee monitor's desktop image to the currently selected game.

This is all on Arch linux, but I'm sure something similar is possible on Windows.

Bash script:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
# script to display the correct marquee image based on the game name in ~/Games/marquees/current.txt
# the feh tool is used and will just put the image fullscreen on all monitor backgrounds in X11
# created by stamina nov 2022
export DISPLAY=':0'
update_marquee () {
  marquee_file=$(</home/stamina/Games/marquees/current.txt)
  if [ -f "/home/stamina/Games/marquees/$marquee_file" ]; then
    feh --bg-fill --no-fehbg "/home/stamina/Games/marquees/$marquee_file"
  else
    # default Brugmania marquee, if file doesn't exist yet
    feh --bg-fill --no-fehbg "/home/stamina/Games/marquees/default_1920720.png"
  fi
}

marquee_file=`cat /home/stamina/Games/marquees/current.txt` 
while [ true ];
do
  inotifywait \
      -q \
      -e modify \
      ~/Games/marquees/current.txt && update_marquee
done

greetz, stamina

snax087

• View Profile
Re: Static picture with LCD marquee & multimon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 07:03:25 AM »
The multimon plugin seems to work fine for me without issue but im needing a little more versatility i suppose. Anyone know if there are any better alternative plugins to multimon?