Author Topic: Sudden Emulator/Game Launch Failures?  (Read 2221 times)

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
Sudden Emulator/Game Launch Failures?
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
I recently ran into an unexpected issue I was hoping someone could help me with.

I am at the point where I am end-to-end testing all the games I put on my cabinet... making sure they launch properly from the front end, the controls are configured properly, and that the games exit back to the front end.

While I was doing this I repeatedly encountered a problem where -- after going through several games -- AM would suddenly stop launching any games. I could navigate the front end like normal, but every game -- no matter what emulator it relied on -- would fail. The console provided no clues, because it appeared the instructions it was sending were correct. (I have not yet tried issuing the commands from the command line, just to be sure the issue isn't deeper than AM.)

The only "fix" is to completely reboot the machine. I can't just close out of AM and restart.

Maybe there is some game or emulator that is triggering a bad attract.cfg change that resets on system restart? I have no idea.

Anyone else run into a problem like this?

It might have been a dormant issue I only noticed now because I'm systematically working through every game.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:29:58 PM by YellowBirdAZ »

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
Re: Sudden Emulator/Game Launch Failures?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
So I did further testing...

1. There is no fixed number of launch attempts before it fails. I had a run of good luck where I started and quit maybe a dozen games. Then in another case I had one launch before it started failing. And everything in between.

2. After the case where it worked once and failed, I thought maybe it was something about that specific game, but when I tried it again it didn't cause the problem.

3. It has nothing to do with various custom Autohotkey stuff I have going on. I shut that all off and the problem still occurs.

I guess next step is to start with a clean AM install and them piece by piece rebuild my custom set-up until I can figure out what breaks it.

No one else ever ran into this issue?