Author Topic: NewbieTroubles (MULTI)- Games not showing up in AM show in Emulation Station etc  (Read 3668 times)

tophat

• View Profile
Hi there. First things first, I'm a newb to this. I have picked this up during quarantine lol, trying to build myself an epic gamer setup with retro systems.

I have successfully gotten to the point where I have attract mode on my Pi 3B+. I have gotten my games in there and everything. These are my problems -

1. I have accidentally created multiple Game Collections under the menu, emulators, Generate Collection/Rom List. I would like to delete the ones I don't need. But How??
2. When I boot to Emulation Station, I can see my PS1 games, and can run them. In Attract Mode however, I cant see any of my PS1 games. When I try to generate the collection, it comes up with nothing. Wha??
3. My N64 games wont boot. I used to be able to a long time ago, but now they cant. IDK why. Have tried multiple emulators, and all have failed to run it. Maybe they are corrupt?? IDK haha.
4. I have the games front end in nevato style. I want to have a menu prior to it that has all my systems on it in flat_blue style, but when I put it in the configure displays, it doesn't work. I cant back out of the nevato theme to the flat_blue theme like I believe I should be able to. did I miss something??

I wish I new all you needed to know to help me, but I really don't. If you need info to help that I haven't provided, please ask. Thank you for any help you can bring to the table!!!

C

Hanappi

• View Profile
maybe this will help:

1. your generated Game Collections are in the folder ROMLISTS as txt files for each system. you can delete the whole txt file or edit in notepad, to delete just whats to much.
2. i think that the emulator settings miss the right suffix. go to the emulator settings for playstation und look if the right suffix is there. if your playstation games have the suffix .bin for example, and that is not there in the settings, just add it. you can add multiple suffixes divided by semikolon, like .bin;.zip;.exe
3. i use the emulator PROJECT64 2.x for n64, because other emulators failed. but i have an gamin pc, i´m not sure if an Pi can handle n64 anyway, but maybe it can.
4. sorry, not sure what you mean.

hope this helps a little.  :)

tophat

• View Profile
Thank you for the response @Hanappi. Appreciate it.

1. Sweet, thank you for letting me know about that. I'll check that out a lil later today.
2. I will double check that, but I believe the suffix's are all listed if I remember right. Any other ideas on that one?
3. When I had the n64 games beforehand, they would run, just not very well hahaha. I dont need them to work, but I'd like them to. I'll try that emulator- is that under the experimental packages? I'll check for it today.
4. Hmm heres a youtube tutorial that I am trying to emulate. Definately explains it better than I can haha. It's at 16:14 in, a system select menu ahead of a game select. I got the arcade looking one, but not the system select. I follow the tutorial exactly. https://youtu.be/Pbke1B3HDcA    once again, 16:14.

Any further help is appreciated !!! Thanks !

akafox

• View Profile
Hi there. First things first, I'm a newb to this. I have picked this up during quarantine lol, trying to build myself an epic gamer setup with retro systems.

Welcome to the forums and a lifetime of tweaking and obsessing :P

I have successfully gotten to the point where I have attract mode on my Pi 3B+. I have gotten my games in there and everything. These are my problems -

1. I have accidentally created multiple Game Collections under the menu, emulators, Generate Collection/Rom List. I would like to delete the ones I don't need. But How??

Exactly what do you mean? Extra "systems" or duplicate game entries?

2. When I boot to Emulation Station, I can see my PS1 games, and can run them. In Attract Mode however, I cant see any of my PS1 games. When I try to generate the collection, it comes up with nothing. Wha??

Emulation station is set up to set up automatically out of the box for the pi... Attract Mode not so much...
Could you post the config file for your PSX setup please? and what format are your psx games in? Make sure that is set in the config for AM

3. My N64 games wont boot. I used to be able to a long time ago, but now they cant. IDK why. Have tried multiple emulators, and all have failed to run it. Maybe they are corrupt?? IDK haha.

Again post your N64 config file please. Also might want to provide a log file here (this might have more to do with the retropie image and less to do with AM.) To get a log file First run a game. Second when it crashes a log is made.. third you look into the folder normally via ssh and copy the log file here. (more info here https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2147/errors-logged-to-tmp-runcommand-log-ok-where/)

4. I have the games front end in nevato style. I want to have a menu prior to it that has all my systems on it in flat_blue style, but when I put it in the configure displays, it doesn't work. I cant back out of the nevato theme to the flat_blue theme like I believe I should be able to. did I miss something??

That I have no idea I am not familiar with that theme. You might get a better/faster response to that if you ask over in the themes thread relating to that theme. http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=481.msg3332#msg3332 or contacting the theme designer for help via a pm (they won't bite...much...)

I wish I new all you needed to know to help me, but I really don't. If you need info to help that I haven't provided, please ask. Thank you for any help you can bring to the table!!!

That is why we are a COMMUNITY..not one of us know the all the answers...but with all of us we can get you the answers. (Again we don't bite...much  :P )
People want life easy..then complain about it

tophat

• View Profile
Thanks for the welcome!!!

1 - So I created extra "Systems" with games list. I see two lists of "SNES" for example. I have deleted the extra notepad files - but it has deleted all games in that section - but the section is still there. Any ideas?
 UNSOLVED
2 - I believe this is the file you are looking for ? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uPFU1-2qPYBAgZbkcxsZajK1QB12cXem . I have double checked that the extensions are listed in AM. UNSOLVED

3 - I actually figured this one out! Just redownloaded the files and they work now. Sweet!! SOLVED

4 - I will check out that section for my solution, thanks! UNSOLVED

tophat

• View Profile
Update from my own digging!

1. - Still no clue UNSOLVED
2. - My PS1 Files were all within their own folders, after taking them out and placing the bin files right in the rom folder, success! Funny how RetroArch can find these games within their folders, but attract mode cant. SOLVED
3. - [
b]SOLVED[/b]
4. - Found a way to get the menu, had to check a setting - general - startup mode Show Displays Menu. Trying to get my style set up right now (flat_blue) PARTIALLY SOLVED

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You need to share attract.cfg and your emulator config. Without this, no one can help.

akafox

• View Profile
Thanks for the welcome!!!

1 - So I created extra "Systems" with games list. I see two lists of "SNES" for example. I have deleted the extra notepad files - but it has deleted all games in that section - but the section is still there. Any ideas?
 UNSOLVED

You might still have the "display" or the "romlist" in there so AM is still loading it. You will have to make sure to delete BOTH the emulator AND the display just to be on the safe side.... That is done from with-in the AM menu i.e. In the AM main menu "emulators" from there pick the emulator and then near the bottom choose "delete this emulator" Next the displays menu from there pick the display and then near the bottom choose "delete this display" then restart AM just to be on the safe side.

2 - I believe this is the file you are looking for ? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uPFU1-2qPYBAgZbkcxsZajK1QB12cXem . I have double checked that the extensions are listed in AM. UNSOLVED

Actually those are not the files I need. The files I need are located in the /home/pi/.attract/emulator folder (notice the DOT in front of the attract folder..makes the folder hidden but it IS there!) From the terminal on your pi reached from pressing F4 on your keyboard that is plugged into your pi..type
Code: [Select]
cd ./attract/emulators then
nano your system.cfg (your system being the name of the file itself! (ex. super nintendo.cfg)
if you have remotely connected to your pi via SSH you can log into it and retrieve the file that way.

As for the log file it is in /dev/shm and the file is called runcommand.log

so type
cd /then
nano /dev/shm/runcommand.log
then you can paste the output from there
 (Examples at bottom of this post.)

3 - I actually figured this one out! Just redownloaded the files and they work now. Sweet!! SOLVED

Again that might have something to do with the extension that was needed. But glad you got it working! :D

4 - I will check out that section for my solution, thanks! UNSOLVED

Examples of files needed:
runcommand.log
found from a terminal by typing
nano /dev/shm/runcommand.log
Parameters:
Executing: /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch -L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-mgba$
Failed to open /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/gba/Army Men Advance (USA).srm: No such file or directory
[CDROM] No sg devices found and sg kernel module is not loaded.

This file is good for you to know..it outputs anyerrors at launch..thus giving you clue what is wrong and how to fix it. This info posted here is what a linux terminal would output normallly if the program was launched from a raw terminal.

Attract Mode configuration file:
found from the terminal by typing:
ls .attract/emulatorsto see a list of files..and then form the /home/pi directory (if you want to know where you are type pwd)
nano .attract/emulators/nes.cfg an examle:

# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable  retroarch
args                -L  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/fceumm_libretro.so "[romfilename]"
rompath              /media/user/nes
romext               .zip
artwork    boxart          /media/user/nes/images/boxart
artwork    cartart         /media/user/nes/images/carts
artwork    flyer           /media/user/nes/images/covers
artwork    snap          /media/user/nes/images/videos
artwork    wheel        /media/user/nes/images/wheels

again good to know where they are so you can make manual changes if needed

tophat

• View Profile
Awesome!!! Thank you for another post!

1 - SOLVED - thanks for the tips on deleting from display AND the Emulator.
2 - SOLVED - Found out that I had to move the files out of their own folders to get it to work!!
3 - SOLVED - Removing them and adding them back in solved my issue there!
4 - MOSTLY SOLVED - Still fiddling with it, but now when I hit B, rather than pulling up an option to close Attract Mode, now I have a selection screen for systems. Just trying to get it formatted but that's just a lil fiddling!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!!! That went smooth!

akafox

• View Profile
Glad we could help!

Happy Gaming!  ;D