Author Topic: Wrong font in attract  (Read 4945 times)

nerdnils

• View Profile
Wrong font in attract
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:09:18 AM »
Hi there,

I have the problem, that attract is using /usr/share/fonts/gsfonts/D050000L.otf as font for all robospin-like themes(I am using standard themes and those).
But it is in the menu, too. The question if I want to leave attract mode is written in that font.
I am not asking in the thread for the themes because it is in the menus, too and the themes don't have any option to change the font.

If you don't know it, that is a sign font like wingdings…

Config says:
        default_font         FreeSans
        font_path            /home/cab/.fonts/;/usr/local/share/fonts;/usr/share/fonts

I have FreeSans installed here:
/home/cab/.fonts/FreeSans.ttf
/usr/local/share/fonts/f/FreeSans.ttf

Why is the wrong font used? The option menu and all included themes are using the right font.
If I change my font, it only changes in the menu and in the included themes. The wrong font in the
if i want to exit attract-mode and the other themes stays.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:18:59 AM by nerdnils »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong font in attract
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
You need to consider how/where the font is being used. When talking about a layout (theme as you call it), fonts can be specified within the layout.nut that can over-ride the default Attract-Mode font that is used in it's text menus (i.e. Configuration, Favorites, Tags, etc.).

nerdnils

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:30:35 AM »
Thank you that was the problem. The font out of the nut-file is impact and after installing it, it worked fine.

But why is the font not included in the layout?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:47:08 AM »
You don't mention which layout so I can only guess the reason...

- As you have seen many fonts aren't stored in the same folder as the layout, so you might not have installed the font properly or the designer might not have included it by mistake. The designer of the layout might also have the right to use a font but not the right to distribute it.

- The layout was created for a different platform and hasn't been tested otherwise (i.e. created in Windows which is not case sensitive so has issues in Linux)

-  The layout was meant to be a "Displays Menu" or "Systems Menu" but is being used for something else so the paths to files are incorrect

- Other reasons I haven't considered
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:56:25 AM by progets »

nerdnils

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 06:22:44 AM »
You don't mention which layout so I can only guess the reason...

Seems like this applies to all the robospin-like themes. Forgot to link the thread: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1300.0

wrybread

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
My guess: The layout was probably built with Wndows in mind, and Impact is a standard font on Windows.