Author Topic: Linux install  (Read 14999 times)

slippyblade

• View Profile
Re: Linux install
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 01:34:41 AM »
Needing some help...  again.  Sorry.

I've got AM working on Linux.  Got the emulators working through AM.  My problem now is that I can't get some of my layout graphics to work.  Anything PNG is not working.  If I convert them to JPG they work just fine - but these images need transparency, so JPG doesn't work for the purpose.  The images are opening in Gimp and Image Viewer just fine.

I'm attaching my layout.  Anybody see anything wrong?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
ok. I do not see any output errors in the terminal. I converted everything to png using GiMP just  to check too. Please repost this in the themes section. You'll get better help there. I don't know much about scripting.
People want life easy..then complain about it

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
Can do, thanks!

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 07:59:21 PM »
Woot!  Everything is working!  Controls are setup, layouts are great, spent 2 hours last night "testing" games.  :)

My graphics problem was weird.  I had to convert all the broken png's to gif to protect the transparency.  Then re-convert those gif's back to png's.  Then they worked.  I don't get it, but at least everything is working now!

I am now setting up the OS for cabinet use.  Set a black background. Set the launch bar to auto-hide.  Apparently Ubuntu makes it so you can't hide that silly menu bar up top, oh well.  I can't figure out how to make AM auto start on boot though.  I tried adding it to the "Startup Applications", but that doesn't seem to work.  Something is happening, the mouse cursor is gone, but the rest of the desktop is showing.  If I hit Esc and arrow up once and enter (the steps to exit AM) then the mouse pointer pops back up and I can use the desktop.  I can manually launch AM and it is fine.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
what *buntu version are you on again? lubuntu or ubuntu? lubuntu I can help..if it's not I can burn and pillage the internet until I can get you an answer :P

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
I got it.  I had to insert a delay into the autostart.  Not sure what was going on, but a 10 second delay and it's working fine now.  It's vanilla Ubuntu with Unity.  Can't say I'm a fan of Unity...

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:35:12 AM »
Yeah unity is a pain. it's also the second resource hog next to kde's plasma desktop. That is why I went to lubuntu. However you can install the lxed desktop and log out of unity and into lxde. (That is the only difference it's still ubuntu just a different desktop installed for the base gui) I use openbox it comes up "blank" by default and then I set it up to lunch attract mode and antimicro at boot. There are ways of doing it through raw xorg (thats the "base layer" for the gui) but I have not been successful yet. More here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=171.msg926#msg926

slippyblade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 08:41:16 AM »
I gave that a try actually.  Didn't work for a rather unexpected reason.

I am using a busted laptop.  The LCD had been torn off this particular laptop, so it has no main screen.  I'm running an external LCD, when I installed LXDE it stretched the desktop across both monitors - the one that didn't exist as well as the new one.  EVERYTHING tried to open on the non-existent monitor and I couldn't figure a way around that because the settings window popped on a screen that I couldn't actually access.  I'm sure there's a work around for that, but I'm sick of dealing with this project and just wanted it done.  So I went back to Unity.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
Oh. Had i known that I wouldn't have suggested it without a fix. Yes there is a work around. Can not remember it from the top of my head. But as for the broken laptop..wow I thought i was the only person that has done that lol Just make sure that the laptop gets good air flow. I have mine on a book with the fan over the edge. Laying on a table is a not a good idea..not enough airflow.