Author Topic: History.dat for console info not games  (Read 3198 times)

incy2k

• View Profile
History.dat for console info not games
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
OK so I know that attract mode supports history.dat for mame allowing display either overlay or integrated into the layout giving a synopsis for each game but is it possible to pull info about system for use on a system selection menu.
Just trying to emulate something I saw in launchbox.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: History.dat for console info not games
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »
It wouldn't be too much work to create your own image with text for each system and have it be the background or something for your selection layout.

I use the blueprints of the systems for my backgrounds...at least the ones I have blueprints for...or patent papers.

incy2k

• View Profile
Re: History.dat for console info not games
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »
Looking at the code from ArcadeBliss - Info Overload Edition ( http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=643.0)
It doesn't seem too difficult to create a text box with info.
i created a dummy history.dat and filled it with
Code: [Select]
$end
$info=Sony Playstation,
$bio
Name: Sony Playstation
Release Date: December 3, 1994
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment
Manufacturer: Sony Computer Entertainment
Max Controllers: 2
CPU: MIPS R3000A compatible 32-bit RISC CPU
Memory: 2 MB RAM, 1 MB video RAM
Graphics: 32-bit Sony GPU
Sound: 16-bit Sony SPU, 24 channel ADPCM
Display: 256x224 to 640x480
Media: CD-ROM

- Overview -

The PlayStation (officially abbreviated as PS and unofficially, but more commonly known as PS1) is a home video game console developed and marketed by Sony Computer Entertainment. The console was released in Japan on December 3, 1994, in North America on September 9, 1995, in Europe on September 29, 1995, in Australasia on November 15, 1995 and in Korea in 1996.
 $end
$info=MSX,
$bio
Microsoft MSX (c) June 27, 1983

MSX is the name of a standardized home computer architecture, first announced by Microsoft on June 16, 1983.
 $end
and although i was able to get it to display when triggering history plugin i couldnt get it to display on the menu.
seems my understanding of squirrel needs improvement. i eventually gave up and replaced the error message "No Information available for:  " + rom;" with what i was hoping to achieve.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:27:41 PM by incy2k »