Author Topic: Accidentally deleted FBA from my emulators list  (Read 10084 times)

mortron

• View Profile
Accidentally deleted FBA from my emulators list
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »
So I was trying to get my stuff to play nice (all ROMS in Arcade folder) and I accidentally deleted the FBA emulator from my list in the config menu. Is there a way to reinstall it? I am having difficulty finding an answer through usual searches. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: Accidentally deleted FBA from my emulators list
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
@morton

-Generate Romlist again:
start AM > press TAB key > Emulators > Add Emulator > config your_emulator > Generate Collection/Rom List

or
-recover your config with any recovery tool (e.g. recuva ) depending to your AM settings:
C:\attract\emulators\your_emulator_system.cfg
C:\attract\emulators\your_emulator_system.txt
C:\attract\attract.cfg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:31:02 PM by hermine.potter »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
 hermine.potter is right there. Basically you'll have ot repuild it from scratch. it's not hard just time consuming.

However...I am guessing from your op that you are talking about a rasp pi NOT a PC?

If that is the case you'll have to rebuild it..but you have to rebuild it CORRECTLY. Luckily I have my pi logged in to my PC at the moment.here is the default config file.

You can:
1. type it in by hand from the pi using AM (easy)
2. copy it and paste it into a text document name it the right name (FBA.cfg) and copy it to the /pi/.attract/emulators if you know how to ssh

Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.2.1
#
executable           /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
args               0 _SYS_ fba "[name]"
rompath              /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba
romext               .zip;.fba
system               Arcade
info_source          thegamesdb.net
import_extras        /home/pi/.attract/mame-config
artwork    flyer           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba/flyer
artwork    marquee         /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba/marquee
artwork    snap            /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba/snap
artwork    wheel           /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/fba/wheel
People want life easy..then complain about it

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
Thank you folks... this will be helpful.

I am trying to get all of my ROMs listed in one display list - like "Arcade" in ES, and I use MAME2003 and FBA... not sure how to get everything playing 100% nice, but making mistakes is a good way of learning.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
Actually you can make one list...just dump all your roms into the arcade folder. Thus I have (most) of my arcade roms are advmame 1.06 roms, next my fba roms are 1.57 as are my neo-geo roms. You create your list. Then you set your default emulator for each game. My default is Admame. Then I went through and launched my neo-geo games. You press a button after you launch it and before it starts.

From there you change the default emulator for that game (the second choice) you can pick the emulator that is best suited for that rom. Remember of course you MUST have the correct version for that emulator.

I have Neo-Geo set up as well in AES mode via the unibios so that I can play the console version of the game if I want. A few game have extra modes in the home version. If I launch the same game from the arcade list it starts in arcade mode. I HAD it working rather..need to find out what I did the first time around. I stuck my Daphne games in there too. that is a little more tricky. :)

I do believe there is an easier way with the new AM...

I think you can go to emulators then generate collection/romlist..choose the emulators you want in the list and then build the list and it combines the list in to one list. Then you can hide the displays so that they don't cycle. I have not tried it yet..I like to do things the hard way :P

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
Actually you can make one list...just dump all your roms into the arcade folder. Thus I have (most) of my arcade roms are advmame 1.06 roms, next my fba roms are 1.57 as are my neo-geo roms. You create your list. Then you set your default emulator for each game. My default is Admame. Then I went through and launched my neo-geo games. You press a button after you launch it and before it starts.

From there you change the default emulator for that game (the second choice) you can pick the emulator that is best suited for that rom. Remember of course you MUST have the correct version for that emulator.

I have Neo-Geo set up as well in AES mode via the unibios so that I can play the console version of the game if I want. A few game have extra modes in the home version. If I launch the same game from the arcade list it starts in arcade mode. I HAD it working rather..need to find out what I did the first time around. I stuck my Daphne games in there too. that is a little more tricky. :)

I do believe there is an easier way with the new AM...

I think you can go to emulators then generate collection/romlist..choose the emulators you want in the list and then build the list and it combines the list in to one list. Then you can hide the displays so that they don't cycle. I have not tried it yet..I like to do things the hard way :P

I have mine under Mame2003, and I need to set up an "Arcade" profile. As it is now, I can only select MAME emulators, not any FBA based ones. I thought I had it figured out, but recently found this link and am going to try it:

You need to create a new one for "Arcade" if you want to support multiple emulators like ES. Like this
http://pastebin.com/62cYKhFP
Or you could use AM way of running different roms with different emulators.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
do me a favor...

do you have your roms in the mame2003 folder?  Drop a few into the arcade folder and then see if you can change emus.

Like I said I have all mine in the "arcade" folder. The choices i get are:

1. advmame-0.94
2. advmame-1.4
3. advmame
4. lr-fbalpha
5. lr-imame4all
6. lr-mame2003

if i put my roms in the mame2003 folder then i have no choices to choose from. See if that helps you.

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
akafox and others, many thanks.

I have always had it set up properly as far as where the ROMs were, but was not aware I had to make my own "Arcade" Emulator... once I did that, all of it came together...

... then I buggered about with my video settings for a half hour trying to fix another "experiment", but now am having fun with figuring out which emulator between MAME2003 and FBA - I forget which ROMs are which  ;D

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
Yeah that is a problem. I am going to go through mine one by one and set them up. Yes I said that. But I think it will be worth it. I used rom lister and cut the number and size down considerably. Once I am done I plan on backing all my configs and settings up. I might image it (without the games of course!).

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
I too am getting there... one nice thing is that some games will only play with one emulator or the other. I wish I knew which roms played best with which emulators so that I could use correct versions for best performing emulators. That is just going to come with more time and experimentation I suppose.

I have a few things I am trying to iron out... primarily how to get those darn ROM names on the bottom of the screen either:

a) Gone and out of my life or;
b) Show me the game names not ROM name

I have tried a handful of solutions over the past 2 weeks and am unable to:

1) Find out where the layout.nut for Cools is to try to delete out the part that generates the display text and grey bar, the .nut isn't on my Pi, but it's getting it's config from somewhere, no?
2) Get the list.xml, mame.xml and all that jazz to play nice and give me real names for ROMs.

It's a bit frustrating, as I know there is a way, but am limited in my experience. The one benefit of searching for all of this is that I actually get to learn some other aspects of AM as I research my issues. At least I can incorporate numbered and bulleted lists in the same post.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
I too am getting there... one nice thing is that some games will only play with one emulator or the other. I wish I knew which roms played best with which emulators so that I could use correct versions for best performing emulators. That is just going to come with more time and experimentation I suppose.

Here is a list, however I think these lists just show what roms work with what emulator/core, not which one is the best for that game:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME click the "copatability list" link there it's a google docs spreadsheet..that might help make things easier for you :D

I have a few things I am trying to iron out... primarily how to get those darn ROM names on the bottom of the screen either:

a) Gone and out of my life or;

bottom of the screen? that may have to do with the layout..I'm not at my pi though..

b) Show me the game names not ROM name

you don't need an xml list advmame will generate a "long name list" for you..

I answered that here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1764.0

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
Quote from: akafox

I tried that, and it didn't get me the game names... perhaps I did it wrong?

Regardless, they're redundant as the game logos come up already - I just need to find the Layout.nut that cools is using and try to delete that part I guess.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:57 PM »

Regardless, they're redundant as the game logos come up already - I just need to find the Layout.nut that cools is using and try to delete that part I guess.

Do you have advmame installed? It's not part of the default RetroPie install, it needs to be installed separately.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
Oh..I thought it was. My fault..but I don't remember having to install it...but it has been awhile  ::)

mortron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »

Do you have advmame installed? It's not part of the default RetroPie install, it needs to be installed separately.

I do no have advmame installed... It appears on my emulators list, but never installed it.

At this point I would be way happier if I could just remove that part altogether from the Cools layout screen... would be much cleaner, as the titles are pretty redundant. Just gotta figure out the Cools layout.nut... like where to find it LOL.