Author Topic: "WIP" Lean theme design  (Read 23399 times)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "WIP" Lean theme design
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
Here is the MAME layout. Logo on by default, marquee=yes disables logo, Listbox on by default, listbox=no enables wheel. Three different backgrounds to choose from with masking and shader options.

[attachment deleted by admin]

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 02:05:55 PM »
Continued... NES

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
Continued... SNES 

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »
Ok omega..I love these! These look awesome! Keep it up man..you are doing awesome there. :)

I do have to nit pick though...When you change from list to wheel....because of the way the background is made with the list box it looks a little weird. It looks as there is suppose to be some thing there but whatever it was has broken out and spilling all over the place.

Just a idea...
People want life easy..then complain about it

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 07:02:55 AM »
Fox-

Yeah, I knew this might not be aesthetically pleasing for some but my goal was to make a multi-layout that is flexible. Kind of like an autobot.  :) Hmm... Let me see what I can come up with.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »
Fox-

OK, can you try this out. Now, when you turn off the listbox a skin without the right box gets loaded with masking which is more suitable for the wheel.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 06:08:30 PM »
Works great! Add more backgrounds (or not) so users can change backgrounds when in "wheel mode" and it's perfect. :) Awesome work Omegaman! I couldn't run it through the wringer, I will tomorrow and let you know.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:13:01 PM by akafox »

DudeRegular

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 12:27:56 PM »
omegaman,
Any chance you updated this theme with the piece akafox mentioned? I like the  bg2 but it doesn't let you do that with the listbox off.

Thanks

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
Dude-

I uploaded one with the changes fox mentioned. But, I am looking to make some more changes soon.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
Dude-

I uploaded one with the changes fox mentioned. But, I am looking to make some more changes soon.

Ok guys what do we need to give him to make him work faster?

1. Beer?
2. Pizza?
3. A pocket full of quarters and send him to the arcade?
4. His own arcade filled with nothing but games form 1980-2000 and a jukebox?

Just razzing you omega we love your work that is why we stay on top of you. :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:48:06 PM by akafox »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 04:15:42 PM »
Hiya fox-

I am thinking about doing away with the wheel and adding vertical art instead. And, of course you can still choose between text list or art. I figure we already have robospin for carousel type layout anyway. Also, I might do away with the wheel art for selection and add smoke frame instead.   

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 03:54:44 PM »
Ok, I've reworked the lean theme design a bit based on member feed back. Now, instead of a listbox you can choose vertical or wheel art. And, for this reason I got rid of the border for the listbox. This makes the layout look a little cleaner when switching from vertical to wheel art. The select wheel is now frame with a smoked mask to make the art pop. You can also mask the background as well for even more contrast. The art transition is smoother now due to making the marquee and logo smaller.  The marquee has been moved over the snap position now instead of top center , just makes more sense from a visual perspective IMHO.  :) 

Latest screenshots... Just need to add some more backgrounds without the old listbox border.

kayser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2015, 03:51:25 AM »
Nice one ..cheers

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 09:10:59 AM »
OK, here is the updated lean theme layout. It now supports 5 backgrounds to choose from, vertical scroll art and spin wheel art. I will upload more systems later today along with a paint.net template for creating your own BG.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
Here is a Background_Template that I created using paint.net to help make custom backgrounds for the lean theme layout with just a few easy steps.

Follow these steps to make you own custom BG.   

1. Download paint.net Obvious...  :)
2. Open the template that I uploaded here.
3. On the top right corner open layers or hit F7. This should open the layer box if not already open.
4. With layer box open make sure background is selected. You can ignore the other layers unless you want to create more for more objects etc.
5. Ok, now find some wallpaper images you would like to use for a background theme. Once you find something you like open it with paint.net. Now, notice at the top you should have 2 small  windows with images. This is the image you just opened and the original template.
6.  Now, go to the image menu or Ctrl+R and re-size  the opened image to 1024x768. After re-sizing image do Ctrl+A  then Ctrl+C
7. Last step, Click on the template window then Ctrl+P. You should now have your own background.
8. Save as type png, and be careful not to overwrite the original pdn template as it is the default. From here you can just rinse and repeat over the same background.