Author Topic: MAME 0.164 "Arcade Only"  (Read 7705 times)

Obiwantje

• View Profile
MAME 0.164 "Arcade Only"
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »
Guys - I have a question, trying to setup AM with MAME 0.164 - I know MA uses the -listxml data to compile the games list, however, how can I filter out ANY AND ALL of the (since v 0.162) included MESS entries?

akafox

• View Profile
Re: MAME 0.164 "Arcade Only"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:16:56 PM »
What do you mean? I'm a little confused. Are you trying to set up MAME or MESS? What operating system are you on?

You should not have any entries for MESS if using MAME or visa versa...unless you are using UME which well..you have to let me know first i guess.

I've never had mame add MESS entries to my list..I guess that is why I am confused. I read your other post. You are trying to compile a custom list? Best way would be to make a bat file with rom lister and delete (or move) the games you don't want. Then you can use AM to filter down more...at least that is what i did. Act as if you are making a list but instead of creating a list..chose "bat file" from the list.

I might be way off here though....
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:27:44 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

Obiwantje

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »
akasoft - thanks for your reply

In this case you are indeed off - since MAME 0.162, the MAME and MESS codebase have merged, and what used to be called UME is now MAME, MESS no longer exists. There were also quite some changes made to the -listxml format, so many of the older tools will no longer work correctly until they get updated.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
Yeah I read that However I can not use anything more than mame 161 because that is in the repositories. (I'm on linux) I'm too lazy to compile I guess but I have had major problems with mame 161. It could be my aging hardware but i don't think so. I will load 164 in a VB and look at it in windows and see if I can understand..and maybe help.

Might i ask...are you using mame for the info source? I ask because I tried to use the mess for info once and got weird stuff in my list. Or the only other thing I can guess at here is to split your roms into other folders based on system. then point attract mode to them.

Added: Ok I used the new mame and the new attract mode in windows and linux. I do not have any entries for any mess system in my AM list. Could you take a screen-shot maybe and post it here?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:34:36 AM by akafox »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:15:13 AM »
Obiwantje -

Ok I think I understand your problem now. I got a hold of an update pack and it had a lot of "roms" for MESS in the pack. I know they merged the code base but i did not understand that they merged the roms base too. Not the best idea I think..but that is just me.

Would you check in your roms folder for the roms (ex. nes.zip or a7800.zip)...thus that is why they are showing up in your list.

Obiwantje

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:07:25 PM »
akafox - exactly that indeed :-) - The problem can be solved now though - by compiling a mame with the 'SUBTARGET=arcade' flag. I would be nice though that instead of going that route - we could flag this in the AM frontend instead

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 06:37:23 AM »
Well I don't think that ray had a clue that would happen. There might be a way to do that from AM but I am sure romlister will figure it out. Given the info from the media list it's possible but it would take some time. I do have a script that will separate them out for you. Make sure to read the readme.txt!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:51:14 AM by akafox »

Obiwantje

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »
Thanks a BUNCH for that script akafox !

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »
Not a problem. Glad it worked for you. I know it made it a lot easier for me for sure. I think it will work on future update packs as well..unless they radically change the name format.