Author Topic: Best themes for Raspberry Pi (NES, SNES, Genesis etc.)?  (Read 4306 times)

robertybob

• View Profile
Best themes for Raspberry Pi (NES, SNES, Genesis etc.)?
« on: February 21, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »
Hi guys,

I've just downloaded the 1.5.2 pre-built image that was kindly uploaded to the forum and now I'm looking to get a nice set of themes installed.

I'm after something to run horizontally which won't be too CPU-intensive for my Raspi 2. Does anyone have any recommendations? If it helps, I don't have any MAME roms, purely console games  :)

Many thanks in advance for your help!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Best themes for Raspberry Pi (NES, SNES, Genesis etc.)?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »
Robert-

There are quite a few themes that should work for you. My suggestion for you is to look under themes and give some of them a try. Maybe try some that have less artwork etc..

I made a theme for the pi but my revamped uni-cade is meant to replace it. It uses wheel or vertical art right now but I'm going to add an option for text list as well. I haven't tested it on my rpi2 yet but it should work. One of the background options is animated stars but you can turn that off in layout options to save a little on performance but it really shouldn't affect it much.

FYI, I am going add an option for custom backgrounds this week. Of course, you can add your own if you have a basic understanding of scripting for AM. But, my plan is to make it where you can just drop a custom image in the layout folder for whatever systems you have. The image names just need to match the emulator names that are configured. 

robertybob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I've browsed the Themes section but thought they looked very flashy and therefore probably would grind my Pi to a halt lol. I commented on one of your Youtube videos last night, the one with the NES cartridges showing the artwork in them (?), which theme of yours is that from?  ;D

I really like your idea; I've been so used to Emulationstation's XML theming that I fear it's going to take a while to get used to AM's Squirrel language  :-[ so anything to make my life that little bit easier is going to be greatly appreciated  ;D

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »
To be honest, I don't even remember what I did with that old theme.  :) But, you could try the uni-cade theme and use cart art instead of wheel art. You just need to edit your emulator config and change the path and point it to cart art instead. A flat type of cart art would look better. Like a cart lying flat on a table with the label out. I think that is the theme you were referring to.

If you have experience using xml files then you should be able to pick up the basics of squirrel scripting in am. I just recommend reading the readme and layout files that come with AM. That will help you out a lot.  ;)