Author Topic: Connecting a Raspberry Pi to 15k CRT, Cool!  (Read 11630 times)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Connecting a Raspberry Pi to 15k CRT, Cool!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
So, I found this great write up on how to connect the Rpi to a 15k CRT. At first, this might sound a little suspect but it's totally doable. I figured this might make a great project for anyone who is interested in converting an old cab. Here is the Link -> http://celso.io/2012/12/17/connecting-a-raspberry-pi-to-an-old-15khz-arcade-monitor.html

Here's a diagram of how the components are connected. What do you guys think?

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting a Raspberry Pi to 15k CRT, Cool!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:49 AM »
I have a spare Naomi system that I'm thinking about using for this project. But, since it uses the JVS I/O board I might need to use a JVS-PAC to co-exist with it. Or, I could just by pass it altogether. 

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:51:18 PM »
I have an original Berzerk cab that was converted to some game I never heard.
It was given to me because it was gutted and going to be tossed.
I picked up a marquee from ebay & paid for a repro-control panel that I hope is actually coming. :)
I was going to strip the black paint off the sides so i can see the artwork but I think i'll just stencyl it because what I did reveal looked to be in rough shape (it is like 35yrs old)

anyway I have a 20" CRT TV with component in & plan to use an old system with an NVIDIA card with component out.
If I could use an RPI to get to the component inputs I would but I just can't get it to work with the converters I have.

I'm only going to run berzerk & Frenzy with a 2nd menu for horizontal 1 button classic games so not a whole lot so RPI would be ideal

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Nitro-

Nice pickup, getting an original is always good. I'm assuming it's a plywood cabinet based on the age as opposed to that dreadful particle board. Either way, If it were me I would sand it down and bondo the hell out of it. Put some primer on then paint it. The more expensive option is to laminate it. Whatever you decide on, it should keep you busy for awhile.

As for the Pi, can't you just use a composite breakout cable into the input of the TV? Something like this -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181777293493?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

As you probably already know, You need to edit the config.txt and not have the hdmi pluged in at the same time. The resolution is the easy part, 640x480 @ 60 Hz and your golden.

Heck, I need to try this for myself.

Finhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
Nitro-

Nice pickup, getting an original is always good. I'm assuming it's a plywood cabinet based on the age as opposed to that dreadful particle board. Either way, If it were me I would sand it down and bondo the hell out of it. Put some primer on then paint it. The more expensive option is to laminate it. Whatever you decide on, it should keep you busy for awhile.

As for the Pi, can't you just use a composite breakout cable into the input of the TV? Something like this -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181777293493?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

As you probably already know, You need to edit the config.txt and not have the hdmi pluged in at the same time. The resolution is the easy part, 640x480 @ 60 Hz and your golden.

Heck, I need to try this for myself.

Just make sure you get the proper breakout cable.
http://www.barryhubbard.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-howto-composite-video-trrs-connector/

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I have those cables and he's they work.
Must need to switch the yellow cable with the white.

Component is a my h better quality.
Heck, so is svideo compare to composite.

Component from a PC card looks really good.
I ran a p r off a PC for yes with co mponent out to a 480i TV and it was an amazing picture.
So I we nt that for my cab.

Funny thing omega I got that cab almost 20 yes ago and kept it in storage. It wasn't until last yr when I really looked st it I discovered it was berserk.
I'm going to just paint it black and. Of sand it since those cabs had a neat texture on the sides.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 08:58:41 PM »
Good catch... Here's the ticket -> http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/audio-cables/av-composite-cable-3.5mm-to-3-x-rca-3m

Red is video, yellow & black is audio. I wonder how you can tell what other cables might be compatible other than the ground and video being reversed.

Letting your cab age like a fine bottle of wine before bringing it out of retirement, eh? Guess, I'm not the only procrastinator around here. LOL!

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
Good catch... Here's the ticket -> http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/audio-cables/av-composite-cable-3.5mm-to-3-x-rca-3m

Red is video, yellow & black is audio. I wonder how you can tell what other cables might be compatible other than the ground and video being reversed.

Letting your cab age like a fine bottle of wine before bringing it out of retirement, eh? Guess, I'm not the only procrastinator around here. LOL!

got those for my rpi2 and holy cow I just saw my post.
I was using my tablet & falling asleep so that is why it was maybe 25% comprendable. :)
I do have an old school vga to component adaptor for crt TV's that are giving me issues with the pi using a hdmi to vga adaptor.
I'm going to solder up my GERT VGA 666 and try that out.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
I just got my HDMI to VGA decoder today, still waiting on the GBS 8100 to downscale the VGA to RGB. Hopefully, that will arrive on Monday. It's not like I'm excited or anything. ;)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
I just got my HDMI to VGA decoder today, still waiting on the GBS 8100 to downscale the VGA to RGB. Hopefully, that will arrive on Monday. It's not like I'm excited or anything. ;)

edit. dumb question. lol.
I did research.
Picked up an extron rgb box,scart to component convertor, bnc to rca connectors ,solder rca connectors, 4ft long male to male scart cable.
All for $32 shipped.
This Should allow me to go from the RPI to component CRT TV at 640x480.
Won't give me cga at 240p but i'll bet it will look damn good with advanced mame in my cabinet.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:37:15 PM by nitrogen_widget »

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
I got my GBS 8100 board today. Hopefully, I have time to play around with it tomorrow. 

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
I just got my 9 pin RGB connector today. When I received my GBS-8100 converter last week there was no power cable or pcb header connector for the crt so I was dead in the water.

Anyway, I should be able to do some testing today. It should be interesting, I'll keep you posted.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Nitro-

Success... I still need to do a little tweaking but happy with the results so far. Here are some quick and dirty screen shots. 

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 04:01:56 AM »
very nice.