Author Topic: Default layouts with arbitrary resolution  (Read 2937 times)

Leonardo Physicist

• View Profile
Default layouts with arbitrary resolution
« on: December 08, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
I love Attractmode and its themes, but most o them are specific to 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions.

To make Attractmode more inclusive I'm making all default layouts resolution free. Just type your resolution on the theme customization menu and everything re-scales and re-positions to look fine on your screen.

At the moment, only Orbit is done. I'll update the post as I adapt the others.

I hope this helps other makers to make their themes resolution free. Free the resolutions!!! 8)

Obviously I didn't tested every single possible resolution, so any bugs or miss positions/scales post down below.

Regards.

Leonardo Physicist

• View Profile
Re: Default layouts with arbitrary resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:11:10 PM »
In bigger resolutions things don't need to be as big to look fine.
If you think like me, the following version scales logarithmically with the resolution (instead of linearly)

All the best

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
Interesting. Screen shot for 9:16 4k?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
I make my theme based on percentages. Its resolution, aspect and orientation independent. Not sure why more people don't go with a similar approach.

dmmarti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:55:59 AM »
All of the themes I create are geared for a 16x9 resolution.  I don't have anyway to test/create for 4x3/5x4 resolutions.

I also use percentages within the layout.nut file to keep things properly scaled.

Yaron2019

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
I love Attractmode and its themes, but most o them are specific to 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions.

To make Attractmode more inclusive I'm making all default layouts resolution free. Just type your resolution on the theme customization menu and everything re-scales and re-positions to look fine on your screen.

At the moment, only Orbit is done. I'll update the post as I adapt the others.

I hope this helps other makers to make their themes resolution free. Free the resolutions!!! 8)

Obviously I didn't tested every single possible resolution, so any bugs or miss positions/scales post down below.

Regards.

Awesome! I want to adapt my themes (At-The-Arcade and Vintage-DOS) to be resolution free. What parts of the code from the code you released should I use?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
All of the themes I create are geared for a 16x9 resolution.  I don't have anyway to test/create for 4x3/5x4 resolutions.

I also use percentages within the layout.nut file to keep things properly scaled.

Yes, you do. Change mode to window no border and edit position/size in window.am file.

sosimple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 05:29:43 AM »
First time I tried attract mode, I rejected it because almost no theme was working in the not very mainstream resolution of my galaxy book..
Months later I gave attract mode a second chance,  finding out that by changing the resolution in the code, almost every theme was working, and scaled perfectly in full screen..