Author Topic: NEW: ArcadeJoySwitch automated 4way 8way switching  (Read 2838 times)

Fkeukens

• View Profile
NEW: ArcadeJoySwitch automated 4way 8way switching
« on: May 31, 2020, 02:25:07 AM »
Released today: ArcadeJoySwitch
A GUI tool to setup servo controlled joyswitch switching for 4 way or 8 way modes, depending on the game that is started from within Attract Mode. It installaties the ArcadeJoySwitch.nut plug-in in the plug-ins folder. From there it calls the joyswitch executeble that receives the game name drom attractmode. The game name is compared with a small database to find the joystick mode. The joystick mode (2, 4 or 8) is send via a serial USB cable to an arduino.
A arduino file is available that you van program to any arduino. On pin 9 you can connect your servo that moves your joystick from 4 way to 8 way.
How: look at the tutorial on future-eggs.com
The ArcadeJoySwitch asks the used for the Attract mode executable and the MAME executable. From that an XML is generated that contains all game information. The. From this XML the joystick modes are retrieved per game. This info is stored in database.pkl.
The USB port that communicaties with your arduino is stored is settings.dat. The main.exe uses that information to perform its taak.

Fkeukens

• View Profile
Re: NEW: ArcadeJoySwitch automated 4way 8way switching
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:39 AM »
Currently only working for Windows 10.
Windows 7 version coming soon !

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 03:49:37 AM »
Where is the release? No file attachment or link.

Why ask for attract exe as well as mame exe? You don't need to generate xml. Attract already does that and imports the control data into romlist file. I created a plugin that switch ServoStik and UltraStik on win/Mac/Linux. Waiting for a pull request to be accepted on Unix tool before releasing plugin. Very interested in your setup.

Fkeukens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
File is current on www.future-eggs.com >> ArcadeJoySwitch  >> download link

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 12:49:45 PM »
No response to my remarks, other than a link? Wow.

I watched the 3d animation of the joystick. Restrictor plate is hinged. Which means it's not gated one of the modes.

Fkeukens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
I am currently in my car so cannot check your script yet. Will do when back home.
I didn’t know that attract also gets joystick info, but i use this tool for other frontend aswell and i can get exactly what i want so thats Nice.
PS what do you mean with ‘its not Gated to one of the moves?’
Since i spent several hours to get the right plug-in settings to work as i wanted i figured just selecting the attract executable and copy the modified  plug-into the correct folder is super easy for other people.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:25:00 PM by Fkeukens »

Fkeukens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »
Made some improvements on the tool:
-------------------------------------------
1) Tested OK on both windows 7 and windows 10.
2) Tested OK with arduino UNO and arduino Micro Pro.
     On windows 7 I cannot detect the Arduino Nano, so better UNO or Micro for windows 7.
     No service pack needed only Arduino USB driver
3) Resized the GUI so that it fits on 640x480 resolution.