Author Topic: Linux Mint UMA How do I install Attract Mode?  (Read 1956 times)

SeriousBob

• View Profile
Linux Mint UMA How do I install Attract Mode?
« on: March 18, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »
       Hello all, I switched from arch to Ubuntu because of some game issues. Thought I would mention that just to make a long story short.

I have been trying to install Attract Mode from the tar.gz with no luck it always ends in an error. Or that is using : " make   and then make install" ends in error. Tried other commands here on the forums also.

The problem is I can't find docs for the dependencies for this to work. And the error message I get doesn't really tell me much at all.

Could someone please just give me some command line info on how to install this on Linux Mint latest Ubuntu based version. It's based on Ubuntu Focal from what I understand.

Downloaded the Tar.gz and extracted it and went to the directory and make and make install and then ends with an error with no information about what that error is or how to resolve it.

Anybody got any simple instructions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :D

SeriousBob

• View Profile
Re: Linux Mint UMA How do I install Attract Mode?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 11:48:17 AM »
I figured out what I needed, sorry for anyone who needs to know but I can't remember what all it was, mostly make dev files to compile it.

It would be nice if someone who knows more than me could include a simple command line to install the dependencies for Linux Mint Uma if they have the time in case someone else needs help in the future.

Either way, thank you for you time reading this.

Good day!

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 12:39:19 PM »
You wanted a simple command line, I cannot resist

/switch to windows lol

Regards

Mark

However, glad you are sorted I thought mac weirdos were bad
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 08:56:14 AM »
Using AM on linux is easy...but yes you do have to compile it..the wiki shows what dependencies you need and how to compile the source code and make it very simple to do:

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki#compiling

look under Compiling (note that ubuntu version does NOT have to be 18..18 can be 18 or up. Also this works for ANY Ubuntu based versions Mint, Mate, ect.)

/switch to windows lol

Some days i agree with that statement  ;D but honestly I got into AM because it was the ONLY FE for Linux at the time..
Also I have a machine that I run Linux on here because it actually runs game on Linux better the Windows 7 it came with....
People want life easy..then complain about it