Author Topic: game names not file name?  (Read 9786 times)

dcninja

• View Profile
game names not file name?
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
I'm using this fe again after using hyperspin and being put off by it because there is no random game button and it's slow and buggy. Anyway...

I forget how to do this but my mame list shows file names not actual game names. How do i fix this?

thanks for the help!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: game names not file name?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
dcninja-

Welcome back. Try this, go grab the hyperspin mame.xml and drop it into the root of attract-mode.  Once the xml is in the root of attract, open a command prompt and cd to the attract directory. Now, just type in attract  -i mame.xml then space emulator name. So it should look something like this c:\ arcade\attract  -i mame.xml mame. This is assuming you already have your emulator created with attract, otherwise you will get error "The emulator specified was with -import was not found. So, create you emulator first.

For random game. Hit tab select configure/control then map input to select random game. Hope this helps...

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:16 AM »
Welcome back dcninja!

If your mame list is showing filenames then the -listxml step failed when your romlist was built.  omegaman's suggestion will probably fix things, but you could also try confirming that your copy of mame is providing the correct output when you run "mame -listxml".  If it is, try re-building the romlist in Attract-Mode

dcninja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:53:48 AM »
Romlist is built. It shows roms. Just not the correct names. It shows filenames in my list. I tried what you said with -I it did not work

dcninja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
C:\mame\mame.exe

The above is my emulator directory.

The generated list xml file is in that directory.

When I generate list in attractmode, I only get file names. The xml clearly has game names listed when I open it.

What am I missing?

dcninja

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
where does listxml need to be for attractmode to pick it up when generating?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 10:33:32 AM »
The list should not have to be anywhere. AM uses the mame executable to get it's information. Make sure you have your paths set up right (the exe and roms). Also in your settings make sure the Info Source/Scraper is set to mame (press up or down to select). Not having that set will cause your problem to happen as well.
People want life easy..then complain about it

dcninja

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
All those things are correct. I also manually made listxml to be sure its pulling correct data. It is. I don't get why its not showing ge names. It's weird

dcninja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
I moved my name directory to inside the attract folder and changed lath In cfg. It worked!