Author Topic: [download] NEVATO theme  (Read 291608 times)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: [download] NEVATO theme
« Reply #255 on: January 14, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »
@swaggers

in NEVATO layout options choose:
MARQUEE ARTWORK > emulator-name

You can use marquees that are already in layout folder.
But just make sure that marquee name matches your emulator name.

name your marquee like this:
atari-marquee.jpg

the naming convention is:
emulatorname-marquee.jpg

atari-marquee.jpg
snes-marquee.jpg
etc

zaphodava

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
I love this theme. Any tips on getting it to work properly on a 15khz arcade monitor? Non-standard resolutions make it cranky.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
you have to define "cranky" :D

If the resolution/aspect is not recognisable - try the layout.nut files with fixed aspect, I've posted it a few post earlier.

zaphodava

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
Ok, I've done some reading and fiddling with my arcade monitor, and it clearly hates anything beyond 15khz horizontal refresh. I think that means the best options for a UI resolution are going to be 640x240, or 960x240. I'm not sure what I need to mess with in the .nut file to get it to work on those resolutions and scale the horizontal properly.

(Current definition of cranky is that it just shows the snap video in the background and has a text list of games)

Thanks for any tips you have.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:41 AM »
You have to set resolution for your system - AM shares the same resolution (at least on mac/windows) and scales the theme to fit the screen.
So you don't have to worry about theme "internal" resolution.

In your case theme doesn't recognise screen aspect correctly - just use layout.nut with fixed aspect - 4:3 in your case, I guess.

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2017, 07:17:31 PM »
I wonder if the option exists, or if not, how I may go about substituting my own image, to choose a different "cab_body.png" so that image can be different.  As pretty much perfect as this theme otherwise is for me, my games are exclusively classic arcade through mame, and a sleek modern style for the cab image just seems out of place and a mismatch for the retro content...   
As an example, the cab image in robospin would serve as a good example of what I'm after.  thanks!
That said, the dev has done just a superior job on the theme, it really makes the whole experience so much better!

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »
hmmm... everything is possible, but it isn't a small task.

Robospin has 2 cab images - robospin and moonpartol (you can choose one in options - in case you don't know).
Since Robospin cab images were prepared by me - I know how difficult it is to make two almost similar looking cab images to match in a way that marquee and screen cut out are EXACTLY in the same spot. NEVATO cab is totally different in shape - so it's not possible to make NEVATO use other cab image by simply swapping the image. You'd have to change size and position of marquee and screen in code, not to mention that LCD screen that is absent in retro cabs.

So maybe it's better to just use robospin?

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Explanation understood and appreciated.  I do acknowledge that it would be a coding task, I just wasn't aware whether there may already have been a choice available within Nevato.

I have not yet tried Robospin, and frankly haven't been able to locate it for download, so I'm not clear on what the differences are.  Can you briefly enlighten me?  From what I can tell so far, other than the cab image, Robospin has that rocket pointer on the wheel.  Oh, and is Nevato (or Robospin) capable of turning the wheel with a spinner instead of a joystick or buttons one by one?  Also, can the background image be displayed without the added scan lines?  I read about the logic behind that, but wasn't aware whether I have the choice to change it.

I'm completely satisfied with Nevato, it really is fantastic.  I guess if were to pick nits to make it flawless (for me), it would have a more retro cab image.

Thanks again for the great work.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2017, 06:21:59 AM »
I have not yet tried Robospin [...] so I'm not clear on what the differences are.  Can you briefly enlighten me?  From what I can tell so far, other than the cab image, Robospin has that rocket pointer on the wheel. 

Pretty much that's it. I think Omegaman recently made some changes - like pan&zoom background - but I'm not sure.
Nevato was forked from Robospin long time ago (althou only spin wheel code have left from original) - so it's very similar.

Nevato is also "responsive" - that means it autoadapts to different screen aspects - last time I've checked robospin was for 4:3 screen only.

Oh, and is Nevato (or Robospin) capable of turning the wheel with a spinner instead of a joystick or buttons one by one? 
spin wheel moves on next/prev game input - you can configure it in global AM settings. I don't know about spinner, but for sure you can assign it to buttons.

Also, can the background image be displayed without the added scan lines?
in NEVATO - yes

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:44 AM »
Much appreciation again.  Sorry for the multiple inquiries, but try as I might I am unable to locate the option to eliminate scan lines from the background art, which I have set as "flyer".

(Incidentally, the option immediately beneath "background art" in Layout Options for Nevato is labeled as "background ststic image".  typo?)

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
<bump>

Could anyone advise on the above?  Verion graciously suggested that the background image in Nevato could indeed have its apparently default scan lines removed, but I have been unable to figure out how; the only options appear to be 'medium' and 'dark'.   Thanks!

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Hmmm... sorry, my mistake.
I was sure I've made it possible to disable... but it's not ;)
Scanlines are permanent. I have to make a separate overlay bitmap to remove this.

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
I appreciate the always quick responses.   Whenever you get a moment, perhaps you could suggest whether this is an option that might ever get added to a future revision. Or, whether it is something that can be changed (by a coding novice) in the version I have now without too much trouble if the code can be viewed and figured out.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #268 on: January 29, 2017, 06:34:40 AM »
I'll add it to the list - there is a few thing that I would like to add in the next release. I think it's a good time to start making a list.

TO DO's for the NEVATO next release:
  • improve screen aspect recognition - and default to 4:3 (failsafe)
  • aspect=true for game snaps displayed on cab screen (now vertical snaps are stretched)
  • text game list - as an alternative to wheel (because not every emulator has wheel graphics)
  • report AM "sound off" bug, see here - http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=370.msg7455#msg7455
  • an option for disabling scanlines overlay on background

pcss911

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:10 AM »
Wonderful news, an active and responsive dev is a credit to the community.  We're all in debt of those like you.
In your estimation, given your workload outside of this hobby, do you feel the next revision is something that might likely be on the order of days, weeks, or months?   Just hoping for a generalized idea of what time frame I should make a note of to check back.