Author Topic: Sorry, yet another XML romlist naming question  (Read 4386 times)

Matt68061

• View Profile
Sorry, yet another XML romlist naming question
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
Ok... Thought I had a handle on this. Retropie is still just a bit unfamiliar to me. I struggle to find where things (correct files, configs, etc.) are located. Trying to get Attractmode to display the game names rather than the rom name in Advance Mame .94.

Should I be using an XML list that uses the word "Machine" or "Game?"  I have both...just not sure what to use with the version of MAME I am using.

Where exactly should this XML file be placed?

Do I need to set this in a cfg file anywhere  (Or just from the Edit Emulator after tabbing) before generating the romlist.

I have read about 20 threads and links and just cant get this to work??

Thank you for your patience with all my questions! Im almost there!   ;D

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Sorry, yet another XML romlist naming question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
you need to make sure your mame/arcade config is set correctly. Start attract mode -> press tab -> configure -> mame

once there change the info source to listxml

Note it will take longer if you have it set to thegamedb.net and it will not be as accurate. Also you MUST be connected to the internet for thegamedb.net option to work. If you're not already connected then you will get a list of rom names (ex. dkong) and NOT long names. (ex. Donkey Kong). Using the listxml you don't have to be connected as it uses advmame's internal xml..and thus you get correct names on line or off line. From there you can change emulators if advmame doesn't run the game game as well as another.

(Although I use advmame 3.1 for everything and haven't had a problem yet.)

If you want a xml file then exit attract mode and type:

Code: [Select]
advmame -listxml >> advmame.xml
and wait till you have a prompt again..you will find it the /home/pi folder

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation has locations of all the config files
http://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame#8.14.8 the advmame doumentation
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:00:50 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

Matt68061

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:06:25 AM »
Alright...  1 of 3 issues down  ;D   Thanks again.  No confirm exit box

For the config box, I think we are talking of 2 different things. I am wanting to hide the white box that asks to "Launching game.....Press a button to configure...Errors are logged to..."
Not the actual game "type ok nag screen". I will post in my original thread as well....in case someone else wants to chime in..

I have tried more times than I can count and read more threads and docs than I can remember in the last two days to get AM to display game names and not rom names.  I just can not figure it out yet. Very frustrating and it should not be as difficult.  I am glad I am not the only one. I sure wish someone would do a simple YouTube video on it...step by step...it would sure help those of us that are challenged. I am def on info overload. I dont really need it but now it is a quest to figure out.  :)

I have created the XML file...it has nothing in it...  Attaching a few pics to see if you notice anything obvious.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Matt68061

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
Since I had such a small list... Only 50 or so roms... I just went in and manually edited the list.

Will work on something else for awhile (the confog box) and revisit with a clear head :)

Again, thank you!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »
oh well duh!  ::)  (I should have known that!) :P

With the current (and working might I add) configuration it will never even try to make advmame cough up up a list for attract mode..because it's not calling the binary/executable to even make the list. You are calling the run command script as an executable..not the actual program

Change the executable to:

executable           advmame
now build your list!

after it's done change the executable back to the run script you had..

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
this also solves the white pop up box right after loading a game and then people pressing a button and starting that script..
you can leave this set without using the run script (you don't need retropie anything on your pi..your pi is a mini pc..you can set it up just like a pc) however you run the risk of losing functions and or breaking things.

I added the xml if anybody wants them. I'll get the new 3.0 and 3.1 up soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:00:39 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it