Author Topic: RocketLauncher plugin is now built into AttractMode - Why use RocketLauncher?  (Read 10735 times)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
RocketLauncher builtin AttractMode plugins a long time ago. ArcadeBliss wrote the AttractMode plugin for RocketLauncher a long time ago (OP http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=858.msg6557#msg6557) and now it's part of (builtin) the standard AttractMode 2.4.1 build.

Here are the basic steps to configure AttractMode with RocketLauncher:
1. run Attract-Mode and enable the RocketLauncher plug-in and configure the settings.
Code: [Select]
Configure-->Plug-ins-->RocketLauncher = enabled
Configure-->Plug-ins-->RocketLauncher--> <configure settings for your system>

2. run RocketLauncherUI to add and enable the Attract-Mode FE to RocketLauncher
RocketLauncherUI (icon on the top)-->Frontends (tab)--> "+" icon to add Frontend. Choose "AttractMode" for the name and set the path to your Attract-Mode.exe and choose Attract-Mode for both plugins and click the "disk" icon to save it. Highlight your new Frontend entry and click the "red dot" icon to make Attract-Mode your active Frontend.
3. When creating or modifying your /Attract-Mode/emulators/<system>.cfg file use these settings (obviously correct these for YOUR system)
executable           <path to>\RocketLauncher\Rocketlauncher.exe
args                 -s "[emulator]" -r "[name]" -p AttractMode -f "<path to>\AttractMode\attract.exe"

I'll be honest, RocketLaucher isn't needed for most builds. There are several less used emulators that truly benefit/need its slick autohotkey scripts but that's not why I like it. Where RocketLauncher shines is with its great loading and exiting screens and more importantly it's pause menu. If you have never seen a well done RocketLauncher build you're probably laughing and saying, "a pause menu?"

Were talking about a menu that comes up when you pause any game that will allow you to:
- see general moves for games
- see complex character's moves for games (like mortal kombat including finishing moves)
- use onscreen save and load states with screenshots of the save points
- view and hear videos, music, artwork, bezels, cabinets, consoles, etc.
- see statsitics about times played, how long it was played, when it was last played, etc.
- see game developer info, game ratings, description of the game (game info)
- read and review game manuals, arcade instructions, service manuals, circuit boards, etc.
- see onscreen maps that are very helpful for certain console games
- see walk through guides (I call this cheating)
- adjust the volume of your system
- exit out of emulation and FE
- in game controller changes

There's more to RocketLauncher, it can also:
- provide bezel loading per game or per emulator
- help you setup joy2key, xpadder, etc. controller manipulation software per emulator when need
- assist in loading virtual CD/DVDs if needed
- unzip games (if the emulator doesn't support a compressed format) and optionally delete the unzipped copy once the game is exited
- provide a uniform/one-stop-place for people that want to install/use/tryout multiple frontends on the same machine
- allow use of CPWizard and other 3rd party applications
- High Score menus for MAME games with specified names/initials highlighted

So if RocketLauncher so great why doesn't everyone have it? It takes a lot of work and time to get everything setup and maximize its benefit. You need to get every piece for every game on every system and put it in the right place. It's not for most and I only recommend it for hardcore emulators.

Who should use RocketLauncher with AttractMode:
- people that already have another FE that uses/requires it (like HyperSpin)
- hardcore emulators
- people that want to have every single piece or artwork, instruction, guide, map, moves, etc. for ever single game
- people that want to one-up their friends

Who shouldn't consider RocketLauncher with AttractMode:
- most people
- anyone not using a Windows OS (RocketLauncher is a Windows only app)
- anyone that has been in emulation for less than a year
- anyone that mostly cares about playing games and not fancy bells and whistles
- anyone that needs a lot of help setting up the basic AttractMode frontend

Why do I have RocketLauncher? Simple, if you go back long enough HyperSpin was (IMO) the best and only FE. HyperSpin migrated to use RocketLauncher years ago and so I already had a great and complete RocketLauncher build. I can honestly say that the RocketLauncher pause menu is the crown jewel of my cabinet and makes it standout more than any feature aside from the emulated games themselves and the graphics of the frontend, but anyone interest already saw/had those. I can also say that HyperSpin is no longer my preferred frontend, for the past 2 years it's been AttractMode. It's flexibility with layouts, filters, tags. etc. makes it the best and simplest to use frontend across many different OSes (especially when not using RocketLauncher).

Don't do it, it's a rabbit hole! If you already have it, want the best of best, need to impress, need to show up a friend... then dive in and don't look back.

Please chime in... who has RocketLauncher? Why do you have it? What do you like most about it? How hard was it to get all the feature you wanted setup?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:52:55 PM by progets »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Load and exit menus serve no purpose on a modern machine where these actions are virtually instant. The only feature I might want from it is showing the controls. However, most games are straight forward. Press a button and figure it out. My 6 year old has no issues with this method. Perhaps it has a feature I don’t know about? I only use mame. Maybe it would be more useful for specific game console emulation.

ryuuji

• View Profile
I think he refers to the fact that RL would give a more console-ish feeling to a dedicated emu pc :)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Load and exit menus serve no purpose on a modern machine where these actions are virtually instant. The only feature I might want from it is showing the controls. However, most games are straight forward. Press a button and figure it out. My 6 year old has no issues with this method. Perhaps it has a feature I don’t know about? I only use mame. Maybe it would be more useful for specific game console emulation.

If you have PS2/GC/Wii games that haven't been compressed in an specialized/native format for the emulator it will take a while to load even on a fast current machine. Load screens will show the progress so you know what's going on.

If your 6 year old knows every special move of every character in every fighting game, that's impressive. You can't just "press a button" to figure out complex moves in Mortal Combat or Street Fighter.

Like I said, it's not for everyone but it does offer features that you won't find anywhere else. If you can remember the difference in save state 1 vs. save state 3 vs. save state 7 in a game you haven't played in months, that's impressive too.

@keilmillerjr - Don't be jealous because you can't run it on your Mac. ;-)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

If you have PS2/GC/Wii games that haven't been compressed in an specialized/native format for the emulator it will take a while to load even on a fast current machine. Load screens will show the progress so you know what's going on.

If your 6 year old knows every special move of every character in every fighting game, that's impressive. You can't just "press a button" to figure out complex moves in Mortal Combat or Street Fighter.

Like I said, it's not for everyone but it does offer features that you won't find anywhere else. If you can remember the difference in save state 1 vs. save state 3 vs. save state 7 in a game you haven't played in months, that's impressive too.

@keilmillerjr - Don't be jealous because you can't run it on your Mac. ;-)

I wasn’t aware about the wii. Thank you. I said I probably don’t know all the features.

I said I only use mame. I develop on Mac, and use win 10 in my arcade machine. If I want to know special moves, I’ll look them up. I’m not a huge fighting fan, and they easy to remember. I don’t use save states.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Let's focus on positives.

There is no need to prove that rocket launcher is not needed (for someone).
It's better to showcase the features and potential (cool) uses.

@progets
can you show us that pause menu and control cheat sheet screenshot - it sounds really cool

iOtero

• View Profile
Thanks to the RocketLauncher and i stopped using the Hyperspin.  ;D

Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
@progets
can you show us that pause menu and control cheat sheet screenshot - it sounds really cool

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbnYaqlvw-E will show you some of the onscreen moves between 1:15 and 1:25.

Here's another video showing some RocketLauncher features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYIlwVroIY.

Here's the RocketLauncher Wiki http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page, the controller menu http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pause_Controller_Menu and the moves list http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pause_Moves_List_Menu.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If I want to know special moves, I’ll look them up. I’m not a huge fighting fan, and they easy to remember. I don’t use save states.

Like I mentioned above, RL certainly isn't for everyone using emulation. While the RL pause feature is great for the person that built the cabinet/machine, its really for the people that didn't build it. Having build it, the builder knows EVERYTHING... all the in-and-outs of all the systems, the controls, every special button and combination to do everything on the cabinet. For anyone else (not the builder) these things aren't second nature and often result in many questions by all other users. To tell these people to press the "pause" button and they can find out every piece of information and answer every question is a HUGE advantage. Telling them to pull out their cell phone to google a character's moves isn't very cool and telling them to google how to use YOUR cabinet is extremely unlikely.

If you read my OP, I'm not trying to push people to use RL. I just want them to know that it's out there if they want to move their emulation to the next level. When I finished my cabinet years ago people had too many questions and needed babysitting to use it to its fullest potential. RL pause solved a lot of these issue for me.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:16:06 PM by progets »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
That's really cool. I've always thought that RL is just-another-launcher, but it looks to be so much more than that.
Can you redesign that pause screen? I've searched the wiki but didn't find anything about it.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you redesign that pause screen? I've searched the wiki but didn't find anything about it.

It depends what you mean by redesign. You can change screen resolutions, move things around on the screen and add/remove/reorder items you want to see or don't want to see. You can change fonts, text sizes, colors, background images, location or artwork, etc. These are all easy to change using the GUI. You could also modify the autohotkey script (Pause.ahk) if you want to change other things not in the GUI options but that would be much more complex.

Here's a text file of some/most of the GUI settings. This is just for you to see some of the options but this file is typically modified using the RL GUI. I was also going to post the Pause.ahk file for you to see but it's too large for the forum.

Global Pause.ini
[General Options]
Mute_when_Loading_Pause=true
Mute_Sound=false
Disable_Pause_Menu=true
Force_Resolution_Change=
Controller_Menu_Enabled=true
ChangeDisc_Menu_Enabled=true
SaveandLoad_Menu_Enabled=true
HighScore_Menu_Enabled=true
Artwork_Menu_Enabled=true
Guides_Menu_Enabled=true
Manuals_Menu_Enabled=true
History_Menu_Enabled=true
Sound_Menu_Enabled=true
Settings_Menu_Enabled=true
Videos_Menu_Enabled=true
Statistics_Menu_Enabled=true
MovesList_Menu_Enabled=true
Shutdown_Label_Enabled=true
Load_PDF_and_Compressed_Files_at_Pause_First_Start=false
PDF_Page_Layout=frompdf
Pdf_Dpi_Resolution=72
PDF_Max_Height=1080
Enable_Mouse_Control=false
Support_Additional_Image_Files=true
Screenshot_Extension=jpg
Screenshot_JPG_Quality=100
Pause_Use_Parent_Game_Media_Assets=true
Pause_Load_PDF_On_Label=false
Pause_Monitor=
Pause_Screen_Rotation_Angle=0

[Main Menu Appearance Options]
Main_Menu_Items=Controller|Change Disc|Save State|Load State|HighScore|Artwork|Guides|Manuals|Videos|Sound|Statistics|Moves List|History|Settings|Shutdown
Pause_Base_Resolution_Width=1920
Pause_Base_Resolution_Height=1080
Enable_Global_Background=true
Background_Align_Image=Align to Top Left
Enable_Clock=true
Clock_Font=Bebas Neue
Clock_Font_Size=25
Main_Bar_Text_Font=Bebas Neue
Main_Bar_Text_Font_Size=75
Main_Bar_Text_Selected_Color=ffffffff
Main_Bar_Text_Disabled_Color=44ffffff
Main_Bar_Horizontal_Distance_Between_Labels=160
Main_Bar_Height=90
Main_Bar_GradientBrush1=6f000000
Main_Bar_GradientBrush2=ff000000
Background_Color=ff000000
Background_Brush=aa000000
Game_Info_Items=Publisher|Developer|Company|Released|Year|Systems|Genre|Perspective|GameType|Language|Score|Controls|Players|NumPlayers|Series|Rating|Description
Game_Info_Font=Arial
Game_Info_Font_Size=22
Game_Info_Font_Color=ffffffff
Game_Info_Description_Font=Arial
Game_Info_Description_Font_Size=22
Game_Info_Description_Font_Color=ffffffff
Game_Info_Description_Scrolling_Velocity=2
Use_Screenshot_As_Background=false
Mouse_Control_Overlay_Transparency=50
Bar_Vertical_Offset=0
Main_Menu_Labels=Controller|Change Disc|Save State|Load State|HighScore|Artwork|Guides|Manuals|Videos|Sound|Statistics|Moves List|History|Settings|Shutdown

[Start and Exit Screen]
Loading_Text=Loading Pause
Exiting_Text=Exiting Pause
Font=Bebas Neue
Font_Size=45
Font_Color=ff222222
Text_Margin=65

[SubMenu Appearance Options]
Additional_Text_Margin_Contour=15
Minimum_Text_Box_Width=270
Appearance_Delay_in_Milliseconds=500
Top_Right_Chamfer_Size=40
Width=1350|1020
Height=450|700
Background_Brush=44000000
Label_Font=Bebas Neue
Label_Font_Size=37
Content_Font=Lucida Console
Content_Font_Size=30
Content_Small_Font_Size=22
Help_Font=Bebas Neue
Help_Font_Size=22
Selected_Brush=cc000000
Disabled_Brush=44000000
Radius_of_Rounded_Corners=15
Appearance_Duration=300
Help_Bottom_Margin=0
Help_Right_Margin=0

[SubMenu FullScreen Appearance Options]
Margin=25
Radius_of_Rounded_Corners=15
Background_Brush=88000000
Legend_Text_Brush=DD000015
Legend_Text_Font_Color=ffffffff
Legend_Text_Font_Size=22
Zoom_Steps=25
Pan_Steps=120
Full_Screen_Help_Text_Timer=2000

[SubMenu Save and Load State Appearance Options]
Vertical_Distance_Between_Labels=75
Horizontal_Margin=200
Vertical_Margin=90
Delay_to_Send_Keys=500
Set_Key_Delay=200
Enable_Save_State_Screenshot=true

[SubMenu Settings Appearance Options]
Horizontal_Margin=200
Vertical_Margin=90
Option_Font_Size=22

[SubMenu Sound Control Appearance Options]
Single_Bar_Width=25
Single_Bar_Spacing=7
Single_Bar_Height=45
Height_Difference_Between_Bars=3
Volume_Steps=5
Selected_Color=ffffffff
Disabled_Color=44ffffff
Mute_Button_Font_Size=20
Sound_Mute_Button_Vertical_Distance=75|100
Space_Between_Sound_Bar_and_Sound_Bitmap=55
Sound_Distance_to_Sound_Level=15
Enable_Music_Player=true
Playlist_Extension=m3u
Music_Files_Extension=mp3|m4a|wav|mid|wma
Enable_Music_on_Pause_Startup=true
Keep_Playing_after_Exiting_Pause=false
Enable_Shuffle=true
Enable_Loop=true
External_Playlist_Path=
Space_Between_Music_Player_Buttons=65
Size_of_Music_Player_Buttons=65
Music_Player_Vertical_Distance=75|100
Sound_Button_Growing_Velocity=1
Music_Player_Volume_Level=100

[SubMenu Change Disc Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Text_Distance_to_Image=30
Use_Game_Art_for_Disc_Image=true
Selected_Disc_Effect=rotate
Side_Padding=0.2

[SubMenu HighScore Appearance Options]
Highlighted_Player_Name=KC
Highlighted_Player_Font_Color=ff00ffff
Font_Color=ffffffff
Font_Size=22
Title_Font_Size=30
Title_Font_Color=ffffff00
Selected_Font_Color=ffff00ff
Superior_Margin=45
Full_Screen_Width=1000

[SubMenu Moves List Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Horizontal_Distance_Between_Labels_and_MovesList=125
Vertical_Distance_Between_Moves_Lines=60
Secondary_Font_Size=22
Vertical_Move_Image_Size=55
Full_Screen_Width=1000
Horizontal_Full_Screen_Moves_Margin=270

[SubMenu Statistics Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Table_Font_Size=22
Distance_Between_Labels_and_Table=55
Vertical_Distance_Between_Table_Lines=45
Title_Font_Size=30
Title_Font_Color=ffffff00
Full_Screen_Width=1000

[SubMenu Guides Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Horizontal_Distance_Between_Pages=65
Selected_Brush=33ffff00
Horizontal_Distance_Between_Labels_and_Pages=65
Page_Number_Font_Color=00000000
Show_Item_Labels=true

[SubMenu Manuals Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Selected_Brush=33ffff00
Show_Item_Labels=true

[SubMenu History Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Selected_Brush=33ffff00

[SubMenu Controller Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Selected_Brush=33ffff00
Show_Item_Labels=true
Controller_Banner_Height=60
Vertical_Distance_Between_Buttons=120
Vertical_Distance_Between_Banners=45
Horizontal_Distance_Between_Controller_Banner_Elements=55
Selected_Controller_Banner_Displacement=25

[SubMenu Artwork Appearance Options]
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Selected_Brush=33ffff00
Show_Item_Labels=true

[SubMenu Videos Appearance Options]
Supported_Videos=avi|wmv|mp4
Vertical_Margin=45
Horizontal_Margin=40
Enable_Loop=true
Video_Seconds_to_Jump_in_Rewind_and_Fast_Forward_Buttons=5
Video_Button_Growing_Velocity=1
Size_of_Video_Player_Buttons=60
Space_Between_Video_Player_Buttons=20
Space_Between_Label_and_Video_Player_Buttons=45
Video_Player_Volume_Level=100

Keep in mind this is just the Global Pause.ini. You can have unique individual Pause.ini(s) for each emulator or system.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:16:33 PM by progets »

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
Re: RocketLauncher plugin is now built into AttractMode - Why use RocketLauncher?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
I tried getting used to Rocket Launcher way back in my Hyperspin days.  Yes it boasts some cool features but the software is obtuse and clunky to say the least.  After upgrading to Attract Mode, Retroarch and Emulation Station I dont ever want to think about all the struggles I had with RL and HS. 

leslie

• View Profile
Hi all, I know its been years since this topic was stared but i really find this helpful. Only thing I was wondering is what does the rocketlauncher plugin do? Because the executable location and args alone do load my game even if the plugin is disabled. Could you enlighten me please?

Also, my only aim is to have the following that is why I'm keeping my rocketlauncher even if it is already outdated.

Fade in and out
User function (start and exit a program before and after game launches)
Multi disc game support
Alternate emulator under one system
JoyToKey support (different setting loaded between game genre)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The plugin allows AM to pass information about game specifics (all the fields in the romlist.txt) and artwork locations to RL.

From plugin.nut
Path to picture files representing every emulator
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher game backgrounds in the fade screen
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher wheels/box art in the fade screen
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher videos in the fade screen
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher game artwork in the fade screen (marquee)
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher game artwork in the fade screen (fanart)
Determine which AttractMode Artwork should be used to show Rocketlauncher game artwork in the fade screen (flyer)

A lot of these thing might not be needed if RL already has the paths to all your artwork and also has the system database files for the game specific information.

As I mention in the OP, RL isn't needed for AM but it can add some features that aren't in AM. Most of the things you mention can be done in AM without RL.

Fade in and out - modified fadetogame plugin shown here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1893.msg13126#msg13126
User function (start and exit a program before and after game launches) - this can be done in the emulator.cfg or with a short script
Multi disc game support - this can be handled in most modern emulators
Alternate emulator under one system - this exists and is built into AM (game edit --> alternate emulator)
JoyToKey support (different setting loaded between game genre) - this is possible but requires a lot of work (emulator per system and genre mix and then use the AM (game edit --> alternate emulator)