Author Topic: Romlists and game info  (Read 5356 times)

ryuuji

• View Profile
Romlists and game info
« on: July 07, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
Right now when scraping game info it does not scrape the story/synopsis info for the games.
There is a place here https://github.com/billyc999/Game-database-info made by some people from HS forums.
The only way to get the story field into the romlists (the [extra] field) right now is to either make new .ods files and format them just like the romlist files are ... but then you will end up with more games than you have + you can't check easily what games are not needed.
As those .csv files have game info single line style it would have been nice if AM would pull that info from a local file when generating the romlist and place it into the [extra] field.

Any better ideas ?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Romlists and game info
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
It would be nice if they made it a feature or option when building the romlists since they're using thegamesdb.net to get the info and the story/synopsis info is there. You get the story/synopsis info on Emulation Station scraping on thegamesdb.net.

I have tried to import .xml files that have the info from other frontends using the command line but when the romlist is built it's doesn't have the story/synopsis info in it.

Another option would be to use a newer version of MAME where MESS is combined. The history.dat file has the info for the console games but the names are MAME specific and not common to other emulators.

One you have the story/synopsis info in the romlist file you still need a way to present it. This would mean you would need a layout that would show it. There are some layouts that support the info but I think most are using the history.dat file and using MAME. I find many people (especially cabinet owners) only use/care about MAME.

There is also this thread http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=656.0 which I tried to follow up on but haven't heard anything.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »
Yeah, game synopsis t is relatively new to all the frontends so maybe that have something to do with its absence (except emulationstation). For AM it is also I think because themes are not designed to have synopsis either so devs are not putting much effort into that :P .
I still hope.

ArcadeBliss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:31 AM »
write a feature request to raygun....

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
I did write a pm to raygun about this :)