Author Topic: Capcom Diamondplate Horizontal Layout  (Read 15453 times)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
Capcom Diamondplate Horizontal Layout
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:00:30 PM »
Capcom Diamondplate themed Attract Mode horizontal layout.  You can read more about it HERE.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:02:56 PM by FrizzleFried »
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (updated 06-27-19)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
Re: Capcom Diamondplate Horizontal Layout
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
Thanks...

In a perfect world I'd rather the text scrolls about 1/2 the speed it does,  but I see no such options with my current level of programming expertise (or should I say novicese)...

:)

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
i love the simplisity of it...
it's like the "Basic theme" with diff grafix...

easy peasy..thankx bra.
help a friend....

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
Welp,  I learned about the conveyor_helper module yesterday and I updated my Diamondplate theme last night.  I want to release it but it requires the Conveyor_Helper module.  What is the proper way to distribute/credit the author of that module?  Am I permitted/encouraged to include the module WITH my layout or do I simply post a separate link to the module along with the layout?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Here is a comparison of the old vs new versions...

https://youtu.be/NtDVHfaEOG0

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:51 PM »
should be no problem...with a release.   he put this out for all to use  :D

oh ya to i think it look great...goo job
help a friend....

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
Yeah just include it in your package or alternatively link the helper module and list it as a requirement.  It really doesn't matter either way because all the modules here are free to use for everyone and they are created in mind for helping people develop better themes.

YellowBirdAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »
That looks really good.

I saw this in your blog...

One thing I really wanted to do with this project was to theme the Attract Mode front end software to match the custom cabinet art.

That's what I did with mine, basically! I designed a custom marquee and then thought, OK now I have to make this all look somewhat consistent.

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
...and now I'm working on such things as being able to choose the old school game list or the new smooth game list.  As well as different game list backgrounds (black, gray, blue, capcom logo, capcom CPO, etc),  scroll speed and fade options (in the case of the new game list)... not sure what else I'll drop in before release,  but I am learning as I go (I am no programmer).

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
the yellow lines were bugging me,, so i redid it...and made a psd file
witch i can share if you would like..

it crisps it up a bit and alows you to switch from diemondplate to other backgrounds..

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:01:27 AM by jedione »
help a friend....

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »
Crisp isn't too important to me being this runs on my standard-res arcade monitor,  but sure!

My latest update I think you may not like ... well ... you'll like it,  but you won't like the fact that I cut the resolution of everything to 640x480 rather than 1024x768.  Again... this front end was conceived for my low res arcade monitor.  I'm sure my new art will look really crappy on a high-res PC...

:D

Anyway,  I'll be posting the link to v2 shortly...

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
I released the original Diamondplate layout about a week ago.. consider that mostly a BETA because I've done SO much more to the front end since then...

Lets begin with why I originally made this layout.  I own a Dynamo HS5 arcade cabinet I've themed as "Capcom Anthology" and I wanted a front end layout that would compliment the original artwork I made for the cabinet.  I also wanted to learn more about the squirrel language and how layouts are built, etc.  I am no programmer,  but I am capable of hacking my way through things to figure out how they work, etc... and over the last week I've managed to learn quite a bit about how things work in squirrel.  This is my FIRST layout... (well,  my second if you count the original Diamondplate layout)... and I am 100% positive the programming isn't the most efficient and I am sure much of what I've done could be done "better"... but I am still pretty darned proud of the end result...

Diamondplate v2 is more than just an "upgrade" from the original Diamondplate.  Here are some of the features...

• Choice of 5 different main backgrounds.
• Choice of 17 different backgrounds for the game list section.
• Choice of the standard games list style that was used in the original Diamondplate or a Configurable "smooth" games list.
• Choice of 4 colors for both the un-selected games and the selected game text (configurable games list only).
• Choice of scroll speed (configurable games list only).
• Choice of text fade (configurable games list only).

With this layout you can make quite a number of different looking front ends...

Here are some examples:

[SEE BELOW - THIS FORUM DOESN'T DO LOCAL EMBEDDED IMAGES]

While most of the artwork components I've included have a Capcom slant,  there is more than one background and many game list backgrounds that aren't branded in any way... for example...

[SEE BELOW - THIS FORUM DOESN'T DO LOCAL EMBEDDED IMAGES]

All of these changes are done via the display layout configuration area of Attract Mode...

One thing you WILL need to do is install the conveyor_helper module for attract mode... it can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6SHVZjz_r1fOUVTUmktUWF5blU

Simply install the folder and .nut file in the modules folder of attract-mode.  You will need access to your local drive... standard windows alone will not see the drive... I use a program called PANDORA to read/write to the drive.  The modules folder,  unfortunately,  isn't on the BOOT drive that Windows can see.

Once conveyor_helper has been installed,  simply download and install the front end as normal...

Let me know what you think!  Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated!  This has been quite entertaining and I've learned a bit as well!

You can download the layout here: http://www.filedropper.com/diamondplatev2
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:36:29 PM by FrizzleFried »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »
yaaa..  i love the "arcade" with "cpo"  option.

it looks great on my barcade..thank you
help a friend....

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »
Awesome! 

I just started adding stuff.  Much of which I won't use... but I figured I'd try to make the theme a bit flexible for folks.   To be 100% honest,  I tried like hell to get the "wheel" images to work (but in a vertical format) but oddly,  everything I tried failed miserably.

Knowing me,  I'll go back and get it done eventually (I HATE walking away from failure)... and when I do I'll probably add even more options (was thinking of maybe different font options and/or different font sizing options)... and release a v3.

This is actually pretty fun.  Time to expand in to the animation module to see what kind of groovy stuff I can do with it.

Oh... and I just realized that my names in the layout configuration are a little long and are being cut off... I'll have to fix that too.  ;)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
...and again I spoke (and released) too soon.  I managed to get the wheel working properly... now,  of course,  I get to implement all the different options, etc...

No worries... I'll release it in a while both replacing the ZIP and as just the layout file if you want just the functionality and not worry about the new backgrounds/etc. that I will likely put together for the release...

>sigh<

I promise... next release will be final.

;)