Author Topic: Help needed PLS!! Updating Windows version  (Read 2859 times)

pauljohn

• View Profile
Help needed PLS!! Updating Windows version
« on: November 15, 2019, 04:07:09 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new here so please forgive me if this question has been answered before or is rather NOOB!!

I have downloaded a fully preconfigured AttractMode which is currently at version 2.3.0. However, I have a couple of issues with this version and would like to update it to the newest build.

Can anybody please tell me how to update to the latest build please? I have tried simply copying the attract.exe file to my current directory. Whilst this does appear to work initially, the system hangs on a blank screen when selecting a game and RetroArch starts...

I hope this all makes sense and would really welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

PJ

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
Re: Help needed PLS!! Updating Windows version
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
imho id stop using retroarch and just use individual emulators. i dont  get any conflicts with my set up(mame,daphne,nes,snes,atari,sega).. just an opinion and we all know the opinions and a$$holes ratio...lol :P ;)
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

pauljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
Thank you Toothlessgrinn for your comment. I will certainly look into using individual emulators, as I always have done with my LaunchBox systems, if I am unable to find a suitable answer to the problem I'm facing.

However for this particular system I wanted to use Retroarch in an effort to keep the configuration as simple as possible. I simply don't have much free time nowadays to devote to arcade building thanks to a young family and a new house move! This is why I downloaded a pre-configured base image which was built around Attract Mode and Retroarch. The idea was I would just need to place my roms into the relevant folders and it would 'just work'.

Of course, it does 'just work', albeit using an out of date version of Attract Mode - inherent with all the little niggles that were present with this version (v2.4.1 if memory serves me correct). It appears a lot of these issues have been sorted in the latest release, hence the reason I would like to update to the latest release.

Therefore, is anybody able to help with a simple guide to updating Attract Mode (Windows version) to the latest release? I thought, wrongly it seems, that I could just simply copy and overwrite the latest executable and config files and that would be that - however when I do that, it all appears to work but hangs whenever I select a game for any system....

Help please...

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
Post a log file and emulator config file.

pauljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 07:15:59 AM »
Hello again,

Just a quick catch up to say I’ve now sorted my problem. It was a config issue within Retroarch that was causing my system to hang when launching a game...

Retroarch’s confit was set to use ‘GL’ graphics, which when changed to ‘D3D12’ no longer causes the crashes.

I have now fully updated to the latest Attract Mode and Retroarch and the system now works flawlessly.

Hope this may help others who encounter a similar problem.

Thanks for your time in replying to my question.