Author Topic: config/emulator game starting help  (Read 8789 times)

kingtink

• View Profile
config/emulator game starting help
« on: October 22, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »
Been working on this project for a day now so my head hurts because this is a new environment i'm working in.

I compiled attract mode from the wiki steps on top of my rpi3 retropie , https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-%28Raspbian-Jessie%29
it boots into emulationstation, which runs the snes and genesis perfect, first, altho once i have AM up and perfect I ll switch.

I cant figure out why I cant run a game. I am beginning with snes9x on the emulator page and have it pointed at the right rom path and generated the list up fine. but when i start a game on the list it doesn't start. it just lags a slight second and continue as if nothing happened.
executable path is
/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/./retroarch

exit AM and the command line says
*** Running: /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/./retroarch "home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes/whatever rom i picked.sfc"

I'm guessing the executable is wrong. I'm about to go sleep so hopefully someone here is kind and give me the easy answer.
Also, I will need the executable for the other emulators. Thanks in advance.

kingtink

• View Profile
Re: config/emulator game starting help
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »
ok so i tried /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh
like the way some ppl have it and its still not working.

also i noticed for rom path the capitalization matters.
for example /home/pi/retropie/roms/snes wont work
but /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes does work
same for mame.

hopefully someone can help me with my executables or hint me towards the right info

kingtink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 01:34:58 AM »
changing the executables to include capitalized RetroPie led to no started games too.
but
in the command prompt a new line appears
Warning, chdir(/optRetroPie/supplementary/runcommand) failed.Error executing: "executable path i put in AM" "rom path"

looks like my emulator path is different from everyone. how did everyone else install AM? with floob's prebuilt image?

anyone installed AM from the wiki directions?!?!

kingtink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
i give up. due to the lack of info to find and support on both retropie and am forums i can not continue with the current image.

i ll just follow floobs image instead

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »
Here is an example config
http://pastebin.com/GcrQGLcP
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

xbouncer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »
Been working on this project for a day now so my head hurts because this is a new environment i'm working in.

I compiled attract mode from the wiki steps on top of my rpi3 retropie , https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-%28Raspbian-Jessie%29
it boots into emulationstation, which runs the snes and genesis perfect, first, altho once i have AM up and perfect I ll switch.

I cant figure out why I cant run a game. I am beginning with snes9x on the emulator page and have it pointed at the right rom path and generated the list up fine. but when i start a game on the list it doesn't start. it just lags a slight second and continue as if nothing happened.
executable path is
/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/./retroarch

I know it's late and not to hijack your thread, but I just found this thread after having similar issues with launching genesis/megadrive roms in attract mode.

The line /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/./retroarch looks wrong to me, and someone with more knowledge can correct me but shouldn't it just be
Code: [Select]
/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarchwithout the extra ./ you have in yours? I don't have that extra . you have in that path.

looks like my emulator path is different from everyone. how did everyone else install AM? with floob's prebuilt image?

anyone installed AM from the wiki directions?!?!

I compiled and installed the latest AM over the latest Retropie just from the wiki without a hitch.
So far I have Mame, NES, Atari2600, and SNES working great. Where my issue is similar to yours is with my megadrive/genesis not launching.
It's doing something similar to what you are experiencing with the SNES. All paths are as they should be in my case as I've done the other emulators and they are working great as stated.
Although I am not using the /opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh as some are.

My path setup for genesis-plus-gx is:

Executable:

/opt/retropie/emulators/bin/retroarch
Command Arguments:
-L /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-genesis-plus-gx/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so --config /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg "[romfilename]"
Now this is working with the various other emulators, but just not with the megadrive and it's driving me nuts as well  :( All it does is flash the screen a second without launching, then return to the menu to pick another game.

Any ideas from the gurus here?

Floob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »
@xbouncer That wont use the RetroPie configs, which is fin, but just checking.

I'd use this format if you want to use the RetroPie configs: http://pastebin.com/GcrQGLcP

Does your command line work if you remove this from the arguments? --config /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive/retroarch.cfg
RetroPie Help Guides: https://goo.gl/3gcNsT

xbouncer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
Hi floob,

As far as that argument not using the RetroPie configs, can you please elaborate? I want to make sure I'm understanding. If you mean as far as the controls and saved settings I had in ES before installing AM, it certainly is using all my settings from ES. I did not have to change a thing. But again, I may be totally misunderstanding what you mean here as I'm learning as I go.  :)

I'm not at home at the moment so I cannot try what you suggested but I will certainly try it out and get back to you on if it runs taking that out from the argument.
Thanks,
xb

EDIT/UPDATE:

@Floob

Ok just got home and tried removing the line from the argument you suggested first. Yes, it did run the game, however, not using the configs as none of my controls worked.

I then tried using the format you posted to pastebin. SUCCESS! Excellent job man, thank you!

I am however puzzled as to why the other emus are working using the other arguments I had posted previously. And like I said, I have all the controls and even shaders I was using in ES when I start the roms in AM, without touching or reconfiguring anything using the format I posted for each emu. If you have time to elaborate I would appreciate it. If not, well you've done enough, thanks again!

Also, that begs the question: should I CHANGE the exe and arg path to this (newer?) way? Even though the emus I have running are doing great? I kinda don't wanna 'fix' it if it isn't broken.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:31:36 PM by xbouncer »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 01:50:00 AM »
Also, that begs the question: should I CHANGE the exe and arg path to this (newer?) way? Even though the emus I have running are doing great? I kinda don't wanna 'fix' it if it isn't broken.  ;)

The old version (/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch) was required 6 months ago when Attract-Mode had to use xwindows to run. The new version (/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh) will only work when you are running Attract-Mode without xwindows.

The new version is more desirable in most cases because it can leverage settings in EmulationStation for per game emulators and to display artwork when launching games. Either will work if you're using Attract-Mode without xwindows but the new version will mimic your EmulationStation setup exactly and it's also easier to setup for each system since you don't need to provide the core or config information in Attract-Mode (it's pulled from EmulationStation).

There's also something to be said about consistency within your system. It will also provide better support on the forum since that's what most folks are using now.

xbouncer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 03:54:50 AM »

The old version (/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch) was required 6 months ago when Attract-Mode had to use xwindows to run. The new version (/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh) will only work when you are running Attract-Mode without xwindows.

The new version is more desirable in most cases because it can leverage settings in EmulationStation for per game emulators and to display artwork when launching games. Either will work if you're using Attract-Mode without xwindows but the new version will mimic your EmulationStation setup exactly and it's also easier to setup for each system since you don't need to provide the core or config information in Attract-Mode (it's pulled from EmulationStation).

Hi progets,

Thanks so much for the great explanation. It really clears it all up as I was just reading about displaying artwork upon launch. Ironic! I do try to read as much as I can to learn and usually only ask in forums if I really get stuck. Sometimes I just need the pro's help!  ;D

There's also something to be said about consistency within your system. It will also provide better support on the forum since that's what most folks are using now.

I am a stickler for consistency as well. That's kinda what was bothering me. Now that I know it's 'OK' and (actually preferred) to change them all, that's first on my list.

Thanks again to you and Floob for all you do for the community, and for furthering my knowledge. It is much appreciated!