Author Topic: Favorites bug?  (Read 6434 times)

TerrapinM

• View Profile
Favorites bug?
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:58 PM »
This seems like a bug.  I am on a Pi 3 and I went through and set a large number of games as favorite.  Switching to and from the favorites list worked great.  Then I shut down a reboot.  Not only the first few favorites show.  I checked the file in romlists which is called "Advmame.tag".  It has all the games.  Strange.

Next, I deleted the file and restarted attractmode.  No favorites where there.  Then I exited and created a smaller file with a few favorites.  Here is the file:

Code: [Select]
bankp
bublbobl
commando
ddonpach
defender
digdug
dkong
galaga
gyruss
joust
junglek
mappy
mk
mslug
mslug2
mslug3
mspacman
mvsc
nbajam
robotron
sf
sf2
simpsons
smashtv
stargate
tapper
turfmast
wjammers
xevious
zookeep

I restarted attractmode and no favorites are there.  Next I went to "1942" and set it as a favorite.  I switched to favorites and "1942" is the only game shown.  However here is what the "Advmame.tag" looks like now"

bankp
bublbobl
commando
ddonpach
defender
digdug
dkong
galaga
gyruss
joust
junglek
mappy
mk
mslug
mslug2
mslug3
mspacman
mvsc
nbajam
robotron
sf
sf2
simpsons
smashtv
stargate
tapper
turfmast
wjammers
xevious
zookeep

It kept all my other games, added "1942" at the top and still only shows the one game.

Am I doing something wrong?  Anyone else see something like this?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Favorites bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:07:02 PM »
Have you manually edited the file?

Which layout are you using? I have seen issues with customized favorites menus in a few layouts.

As a test, rename your Advmame.tag file to Advmame.tag.org. Then change your display to "Basic" for Advmame. Using only the Attract-Mode graphical interface add some favorites and test. If it works, then your issue isn't with Attract-Mode itself. You can then change your display back and add some favorites and see if your problem reoccurs.

TerrapinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:47:49 AM »
I've tried Robospin and Silky.  I didn't initially edit the file at all.  After it wasn't working I tried editing and it didn't help. 

I'll start over and test with basic when I get home tonight.

TerrapinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »
Here are my steps. 

1. Deleted Advmame.tag

2. Started attractmode and switched to "Basic" layout

3. Added a few favorites. 

4. Switched to favorites view and I see them all.  There are 7 of them.

5.  Exit attractmode

This is what the Advmame.tag looks like.

2020bb
altbeast
archrivl
astdelux
asteroid

6.  Start attractmode and switch to "Favorites" view.  Now it only shows 2 (1942 and 1943). 

7.  Exit attractmode and verified all 7 are still in the file.

So it works fine when I add them until I exit.  Once I start attractmode the next time it only shows the first 2.

Any idea?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
I tried this on a couple of builds and couldn't reproduce your issue.

What's the build date on your attract binary? Are you running the latest AM?

How are you exiting AM? How are you rebooting? If you exit AM to the command line and then relaunch it do you have the issue or only after a reboot? Does this issue happen with other emulators or only Advmame? As a test, you can try to add favorites that don't start with numbers, it seems that like that is your possible breaking point.

Also check the permissions on the romlist folder.

TerrapinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 08:02:18 AM »
To verify I am using the correct version I updated RetroPie and it did a full rebuild/compile of Advmame.  Here is the version:

pi@retropie:~ $ attract --version
Attract-Mode v2.2.1 (Linux, SFML 2.3 +FontConfig +RPi +SWF)

Using Libav for Audio and Video.
avcodec 56.1.0 / avformat 56.1.0 / swscale 3.0.0 / avresample 2.1.0

Shaders are not available.
pi@retropie:~ $ ll /usr/bin/attract
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 138 Apr 15 10:28 /usr/bin/attract

I checked after the rebuild and same thing.  I deleted the .tag file, started attract-mode and added a single favorite, Robotron. Here is what the file looks like:

pi@retropie:~ $ cat ~/.attract/romlists/Advmame.tag
robotron

Right after I added it, I can switch to favorites view and it looks good.  When I exit and return to attract mode (even after a reboot), switching to favorites shows no favorites.  The .tag file still is the same.

The permissions on the "romlists" directory looks good.  The "pi" user has write access and when I add them through attract-mode they get correctly saved to the .tag file.

pi@retropie:~ $ ll ~/.attract/
total 72
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    210 Apr 15 10:44 attract.am
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi   9242 Apr 15 10:29 attract.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 9166 Apr 15 10:29 attract.cfg.bak
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Apr 15 10:29 emulators
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 intro
drwxr-xr-x 10 pi   pi   4096 Apr 14 21:55 layouts
drwxr-xr-x  7 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 menu-art
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 modules
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 plugins
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Apr 15 10:41 romlists
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 screensaver
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi      4 Apr 15 10:44 script.nv
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Mar 30 19:56 sounds
drwxr-xr-x  5 pi   pi   4096 Apr  1 23:48 stats
pi@retropie:~ $ ll ~/.attract/romlists/
total 1688
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi      9 Apr 15 10:35 Advmame.tag
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 971914 Apr 13 19:57 Advmame.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 309510 Apr  1 23:35 Mame.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi 432038 Apr  2 14:00 Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pi pi    752 Apr 15 10:29 RetroPie.txt

It really seems like for whatever reason it is just not properly reading the .tag file on startup.  I agree it did seem to read the roms starting with a number before but I don't know why that would be.

As for how I start attract-mode, in this testing I generally just run it from the command-line with no parameters.  As for autostart, I pipe all output to /dev/null since there is alot of output on startup.

pi@retropie:~ $ cat /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh
#emulationstation #auto
clear
attract > /dev/null 2>&1

I exist attract-mode with the "Esc" key.  I stop the Pi with a "sudo halt". 

I feel like since this seems to be working for everyone else, I must be doing something wrong.  Just not sure what to check anymore.

Chef_Fluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
I am having an issue with Favorites as well. I have my list set and generated and everything displays. I want to remove a couple but when I hit the button I configured for Add/Remove favorite it wants to add it again. I have tried adding it then telling it to remove and then generate a new list and the game I want removed is still there. If I manually remove the items and send the favorites file back it is fine, but then when I try to add another game and generate a new list all the old ones that I manually removed reappear. not sure how to fix this any ideas?

I am running the latest version of everything as I ran a full update last night.

TerrapinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
I figured some more stuff out.  I will looking at my romlist (the .txt file, not the tag file).  I noticed something strange.  The first half of the file looks good and all the extra information is filled in (like controls, etc).  The strange thing is that after the last rom, the list is repeated a second time.  The second time there are much fewer fields filled in (no control information for example).  My generated file is literally listing the entire romlist twice.

So I manually removed the second part of the file and fired up attract-mode.  All the favorites now show up perfectly.  So that file is not being generated correctly and it is affecting the favorites somehow but not the "all" list.

Could this be due to the version of mame.xml I'm using?  I started with the 0.106 but the format of the <input> was difference and I could not filter out by control.  I tried to find the first version of the XML which had the new <input> format and ended up using 0.149 (although I have to convert <game> to <machine>).  It's not perfect though since some games switch names (like "yard.zip" is needed for 0.106 but the XML says it is called "10yard.zip" since it was renamed).

Is there a minimum version of the mame.xml that attractmode supports?  Any idea what would cause the romlist to be generated incorrectly like it is?  At least there is a manual workaround now.

MarthaFocker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:19 AM »
I am having an issue with Favorites as well. I have my list set and generated and everything displays. I want to remove a couple but when I hit the button I configured for Add/Remove favorite it wants to add it again. I have tried adding it then telling it to remove and then generate a new list and the game I want removed is still there. If I manually remove the items and send the favorites file back it is fine, but then when I try to add another game and generate a new list all the old ones that I manually removed reappear. not sure how to fix this any ideas?

I am running the latest version of everything as I ran a full update last night.

Were you ever able to correct this?  I am having the same problem.....