Author Topic: Can someone explain the "Utility Menu"  (Read 5476 times)

BOXXMAN

• View Profile
Can someone explain the "Utility Menu"
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:57:59 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't seem to grasp what you can do with the Utility Menu plugin. I see that you can use it to launch other scripts, but is that all it does? It says you can run commands, but does that mean it can run executables by simply filling in the the path and .exe, or do you use a command like fe.plugin_command("MyProg.exe","") to run?  Nothing I've tried like that has managed to launch or do anything, so does it only run other scripts only?

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: Can someone explain the "Utility Menu"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:22:41 AM »
@BOXXMAN
to open external programs like notepad:

start AM > press TAB key > Plugin-ins > UtilityMenu > Enabled : Yes > Item 2 Menu Text : I need a editor > Item 2 Command : notepad
if you are on game selection and press u key, then you can choose ' I need a editor' > notepad starts > exit notepad & you're back in AM
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

qqplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:15:47 AM »
hermine.potter , can we pass [romfilename] or [name] info to this plugin?
I´ve tried this without success.

BOXXMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »
@BOXXMAN
to open external programs like notepad:

start AM > press TAB key > Plugin-ins > UtilityMenu > Enabled : Yes > Item 2 Menu Text : I need a editor > Item 2 Command : notepad
if you are on game selection and press u key, then you can choose ' I need a editor' > notepad starts > exit notepad & you're back in AM

Yes, I understand in theory what it it supposed to be used for, but how exactly do you do that? Just putting "notepad" as the command doesn't do anything. I have tried to run different programs by filling in the entire path to them eg, "G:\Xpadder\Xpadder.exe, with no success. I have also tried putting them in the root directory of AM, as well as the "plugins" directory, and the "Utility Menu" directory itself. Nothing I do will make it launch another program, it just does nothing.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
You need to read the help text. Your not understanding what this plugin does.

„The command to run when this item is selected.  Use @<script_name.nut> to run a squirrel script that is located in the Utility Menu's plugin directory."

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/master/config/plugins/UtilityMenu/plugin.nut

BOXXMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:42:54 PM »
So, that's what I was trying to find out. From what you say it just runs other scripts, and nothing else. hermine.potter seems to suggest that you can somehow run just run an .exe directly, which is what I was wondering. I guess that in order to run some other program from it then, you would have to write a .nut script that says fe.command() pointed at your program to run it, and then launch that script from the utility menu? 

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
So, that's what I was trying to find out. From what you say it just runs other scripts, and nothing else. hermine.potter seems to suggest that you can somehow run just run an .exe directly, which is what I was wondering. I guess that in order to run some other program from it then, you would have to write a .nut script that says fe.command() pointed at your program to run it, and then launch that script from the utility menu?

You got it. The script would be as simple as a single line of code.

https://github.com/mickelson/attract/blob/master/Layouts.md#plugin_command