Author Topic: Menu wheel shifting several places when exiting displays?  (Read 4731 times)

Asterra

• View Profile
Menu wheel shifting several places when exiting displays?
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
The phenomenon: From the menu wheel, I enter a display (call it "NES"), and then back out.  The menu wheel has shifted down one entry by itself, so that rather than still being on "NES" it is now on "SNES" which was below "NES".  I do this a few more times and eventually the menu wheel is shifting down three entries.  It seems to increase over time.

What could be causing this behavior?

I'm using Cosmo's 1.1 theme for the main menu and mostly his original "Robospin-like" themes for the various system displays.  Maybe that is a factor and maybe it isn't.

unclewilly

• View Profile
Re: Menu wheel shifting several places when exiting displays?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:08:39 AM »
I have the same issue using the hyperpie pc edition themes

bjose2345

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
It is the carousel script, the way it works

Asterra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
It is the carousel script, the way it works
I'm going to suggest that that seems improbable.  As I noted before, the behavior of the main menu changes over time (worsens).  It starts out shifting down one notch, but visit enough displays and that number increases.  This strikes me as a flaw; some variable is getting stuck and gradually added to.

Right now my AttractMode is shifting the wheel down nine notches every time I exit a display.  And I've discovered a new behavior: If the wheel's down-shifting happens to meet or go past where the wheel loops, that's where it stops ("Exit Attract-Mode"), and the variable dictating how far askew the wheel will go is reset to 1 (or perhaps 0) at this point.

Simply cannot be intended.  Of no use to anyone.  I'm hoping there's something I can do on my end to keep this from happening.

bjose2345

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
Maybe my words were misinterpreted, I did not mean to say that it was an intentional behavior, but it is something that often happens  because of the way the code is made.

BadFurDay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »
I had this issue and was told to update Attract Mode as per this thread:

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1535.0

I did so and it works fine for me, this was an issue but it has been fixed.  I was also told it's an issue when there are displays that are hidden from the menu/cycle that causes this.

Asterra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:56 PM »
I had this issue and was told to update Attract Mode as per this thread:
Not a bad idea, but the problem is I'm already using 2.2.1 (the latest), and the provided link to the nightly builds (https://build.btolab.com/project/attractmode/) doesn't work.  I'm using PC so I'm pretty much a slave to whatever binary I can get my hands on.

I was also told it's an issue when there are displays that are hidden from the menu/cycle that causes this.
Makes sense.  I do have some hidden displays because that's the best way to work with platforms where you want to use more than one default executable.

So I guess the solution to this problem is for there to be a working link to a version of AttractMode that's newer than v2.2.1.

Asterra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 05:16:35 AM »
So does anyone either have a better (working) link to the nightly builds or a Windows binary that is newer than the latest AttractMode currently available (2.2.1)?  It's a strange state of affairs that this bug has been long fixed but the fix is unavailable outside of an esoteric function exclusive to the Raspberry Pi.