Author Topic: Standard Grid mod with Surface animation  (Read 5194 times)

popoklo

• View Profile
Standard Grid mod with Surface animation
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:15:53 PM »

OI!

for all who like a grid system with animation of a fe.surface.
It works fine now with big lists. my MAME games are 2350 snaps and videos.
Scrolling has good speed to go through all games.

added features:
- Grid on a surface: allows smooth animations and scrolling fast when holding button.
   also the selected game frame with video scrolls with the surface, i think this is a better feeling.
- Delayed Video Loading after 800 ms: important that added scrollanimation is not choppy during anim when videos load.

- DemoMode after Starttime = 90 sec. and looping through random games after LoopTime=30 secs. values can be changed in options.
   attention: u can start the games by hitting your select button! the DemoMode stops when you start navigating. navigation starts from the game in Demomode.
- in the left botoom corner appears the First character of the game and disappears after some time. this is good when u scroll fast and search a game.

i think a very important feature of attractmode should be the "attract mode".
here it is the DemoMode from where u can start the games directly. This is the good ol feeling from neogeo multiplay machines.

What u need:
-snaps, flyer... (changeable in options)
-videos

the visuals are inspired by switch ui design.
the design is 4:3, but u can change it in code.

overall i have big problems with the transition system.
I dont understand it, so i had to make workarounds for timing like delayed video loading.
This causes some shit. The timers will not be reset correctly. sometimes the videos are not delayed or the Demomode loops faster.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:20:30 PM by popoklo »

mickael28

• View Profile
Re: Standard Grid mod with Surface animation
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
This is really good indeed mate. But what you mentioned, transitioning between games is kind of slow, it seems the cursor stops and then the video takes a while to load.

I've seen done something similar in the theme of another forum user, AMGPS. You can see an example of that working on the default (where one can choose to display the flyers and transition to the video snaps), the transitioning of the video is really really good and fast, however, that one doesn't offer the possibility to choose X number of columns and rows, so yours seems more practical at the moment.

Could you have a look at that one to see if you can incorporate the transitions work in yours in a future release? Let me know if you make a new release and want me to give it a go, subscribing to the topic now.

Thanks for sharing!!!

popoklo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
I dont recommend using flyer with so big lists like i use 4x5. flyers are much to big in Mb size. u have to reduce to something like 2x3. I use title screenshots, total only 50 mb all!

the video is intended to load after a delay! thats my feature! read above.
if u test the standard grid with rows 6x5 (thats 4x5 what u see but for animation i do secret 2 extra rows), theres the same performance. It cant get faster than this.

the AMGPS uses standard transition method, which is not satisfying for me. u cant ease, tween and if 200 ms set u scroll 1 year for 3000 MAME games. This is only usefull for small filter lists or small collections.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
This looks really cool.  8)

mickael28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
Ah, I have not tried with lists so large... just with 100 games in one system, but I am not just talking about the video starting with 800ms, which might be fine, but if you move the cursor, stop in a cell for a split of a second and try to move the cursor again, it won't move. I think there's some kind of logic that is blocking the cursor for a little while so that it behaves in a strange way...

The design is awesome though. I don't have a clue about how to do templates yet, but as I don't have large lists, I'll see if I learn how to use the standard transition method at some point. That would be a really good setup for my needs.

Thank you mate!

popoklo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
ah i know what u mean!
this is excactly the case when the video loads after 800ms and u push a button to next game at the same time. then the videloading hangs the grid.! Yap.
No clue how to fix that. sry. :)

Ty for feedback Greets!

popoklo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:33 AM »
i made a test with loading snaps of an external usb drive. the loading is too high so the animation is not visible. too choppy. thats disappointing. i only love a grid layout, but it only works flawless with no bottleneck. i think AM would profit so big if the artworks could load seperate like streaming, not influencing animations. the only way i fixed that is preloading all artwork. thats not satisfying. what do u think guys.