Author Topic: Is there a way to avoid stretching preview videos?  (Read 6164 times)

playerzero

• View Profile
Is there a way to avoid stretching preview videos?
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
Currently I have the preview snap as a full screen video in the background of AM, with a resolution of 640x480 for the frontend and the videos.

This works well for the most part, but looks horrible for vertical shooters, due to the vertical orientation of the games (I think most, if not all of the preview videos may be 320x480, but I can't remember exactly and can't check due to being at work). This results in the preview videos stretching, and not being a true representation of the game.

My question is:
Is there a scripting or settings way to centre the videos, without stretching them?
Black borders are OK.

I am willing to add borders to the relevant videos if that is the only way.

tomek

• View Profile
    • About Me
Re: Is there a way to avoid stretching preview videos?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
So what you want to do is to preserve the aspect ratio of your videos. You will end up with some bars to either side of your vertical videos, there is no choice in that, but they don't have to be black. You could composite your videos on a graphical background and that's what you'd see on either side of your vertical videos.

Now, to preserve the aspect ration at run time, this is something that has to be implemented in the layout you're using. Basically the surface which contains the video will need to be resized dynamically and repositioned as you change selection.

There is no simple setting for this in AM or a one-off script that you can run.

-t

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »
Nothing special needs to be done if you are ok with black borders - just setting preserve_aspect_ratio = true on the image/video will do it.

tomek

• View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
Well then, I stand corrected. I thought you'd have to do that yourself but there you go, AM is all kinds of clever.