Author Topic: Retroarch and Attractmode. How?  (Read 12302 times)

Dallinj

• Clueless and Proud.
    • View Profile
Retroarch and Attractmode. How?
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
I've tried using a Raspi as my emulation system, but got frustrated with it's limitations so I've switch to a PC build. As I've tried to get various emulators working, I ran into a ton of issues that I'm not equipped to solve, and figured that using Retroarch would be a much simpler solution. How would I go about using AttractMode as a front end for Retroarch. I've seen a couple different topics on it, but none really gave a solution. Any help?

Edit: I think I've figured it out. I used http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1451.0 this forum post and was able to get NES working. I will test everything to make sure it works, but it seems like my problems were solved. Just had to do quite a bit of digging.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:31:10 PM by Dallinj »

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
Re: Retroarch and Attractmode. How?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
honestly id say just use mame . retro arch kinda sucks imo. am and mame work perfect together. or atleast for me. and nowadays you can play console games if you have the bios files in mame if im not mistaken
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
I bet if you asked about one emulator at a time everyone would be happy to help you.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »
@Dallinj: Thanks for sharing your solution, even if it's "only" a link to another thread. It may help others who find this thread first.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
First of all if you want help with that you need to understand how retroarch commands work. Go look at the retroarch wiki for that. That has nothing to do with Attract mode in a sense. I can make Attract Mode run like a Jukebox if i want to using a standard configuration for setting up a emulator.

And note that RetroArch is not a one stop solution to everything. There are many stand alone emulators that work MUCH better than any Retroarch core! Then again there are retroarch cores that run better than the emulator. It's trial and error plain and simple. Use what is best for you or what you like.

Below is your standard Retroach core config

executable           retroarch
args                 -L "path to libretro core"[romfilename]"

Example:

Linux:
args                   -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/nestopia_libretro.so "[romfilename]"

Windows:
args                   -L C:\retroarch cores\nestopia_libretro.so "[romfilename]"

That will load the nestopia core (A Nintendo Entertainment System emulator) for NES games.

Retroarch is NOT an emulator. The cores are (in a sense). But the cores can not be called (run/started/executed) by themselves to run they must be called by retroarch first! Thus why the executable is ONLY Retroarch. Then the args line contains all the other needed info.

For this to work you have to have retroarch configured correctly FIRST! Thus you have to tell it where your cores are and BIOSes ect. Attract Mode will NOT do it for you!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:07:14 PM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it