Author Topic: WII LINUX?  (Read 3756 times)

KTURNER

• View Profile
WII LINUX?
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
Has anyone installed linux on a jail broken wii, then installed A/M with retroarch? I would realy like to just turn on the wii and jump right into a/m.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: WII LINUX?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
ooo... I would like that too.
I have 3 wii laying around and collecting dust.

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
launching it though homebrew would be even better. I bet that would take a lot of work though.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »
I've seen vid when a guy was launching emu games via WiiFlow - with covers and everything.
I would gladly pay someone to make this happen, but I'm not gonna try to do it my self - to many interesting things to do - I just have to prioritise :D

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
Yes it can be done. I have done it. You have to have the White WII with version 4.3..I think. There is a program that you get and put your MAC address into and then it does all the changes and sets it up for you you just have to install it.."Letter Bomb" I think it is.

Normally you use a flaw in a game to "hack it" (Softmod) but there is a stand alone exe out there somewhere..but i can't remember where..if i find it I'll post it here. It works great. I can play Atari2600 5200 7800 NES Snes SMS Sega Megadrive/Genisis and some MAME roms..on and Turbo graphics-16/PC Engine and DOSBox.

That is what I used before I had my PI. You need at least a 8GB SD card..it might handle a 16GB..I don't remember.
People want life easy..then complain about it

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 02:46:53 AM »
It's necessary to start Hackmii, to install the Homebrew Channel this way:

a special game & a savegame exploit (old method; not longer necessary) or via wii pinboard exploit (letterbomb, bannerbomb, wilbrand) and WII MAC address.

there is a tool called UHG Downloader, to get the whole packet automatically (wii cios and so on).

After install homebrew channel, you are able to start homebrew like Wiiflow.

Wiiflow need a Plugin Packet.

Never tried to install linux directly
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

KTURNER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 05:40:54 AM »
I have successfully softmoded two of them. One white and one black. At the time letterbomb was not around. The only emulators I have used are nes and snes and they are kind of boring and keep locking up on me. I thought since linux a/m was stable, it would be a better choice. I'm not sure if the Wii is powerful enough to run anything newer than n64 through Linux

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:44:21 AM »
just check gbatemp for softmodding ... not worth to try to install linux ... softmodding offers u emulators + ofc native support for wii games
wii u would be a better choice if u are not planning on using a 240p crt tv